View previous topic :: View next topic  
ObiWron

City/Region: Snohomish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Debra Gayle
Photos: Debra Gayle
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Left over gas in tanks Reply with quote

I filled up with non ethanol and added marine sta-bil last November. I did a fair amount of boating this summer but never went very far. I've got two 18gal. tanks in my 22 that are both damn near full.

Is it fine to leave in for next spring? Or should I siphon out some or all and replace with fresh?

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find my specific concern posted anywhere.

Cheers!
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: pump into your car Reply with quote

If I have any doubts, I pump or more often siphon, into my car or my small engines gas tanks. That being said, empty steel tanks rust, lost a very expensive Ducati tank that way. I would empty plastic/fiberglass tanks, especially if I could get in and clean them out 100%. Steel or aluminum I would fill to the top, treat with Marine Sta-Bil and Sea Foam and be double sure it was non-ethanol gas (not available here in Nevada). All this being said, I have been guilty of the "too big/too many" fuel tank mentality. Love the classic diesel engine English Canal Narrow-boats that have a gravity feeding day tank hand pumped off a larger storage tank that if done right, has not only a filter on the way into the day tank but one on the way out and then another on the engine itself and for true top line installation, an automatic fuel polishing/scrubbing system connected to a cascading twin main tank layout. When we used to boat in Baja, we used a Baja Filter Funnel when we bought gas and what a bunch of junk we would catch. We used filter media on those before the wire mesh at the bottom (here is a link - I used chamois http://chamoisinfo.com/page/fuel-filtration .
Here is a link to a nice article on the matter which aims for 5 year fuel life for preppers. h[b]ttps://www.offthegridnews.com/how-to-2/the-key-to-long-term-diesel-and-gas-storage[/b]/ and another on Baja type filters at https://www.practical-sailor.com/issues/28_22/features/4747-1.html[b][i][/i][/b]
Bob Jarrard
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your 22 has plastic tanks--you will probably be fine with leaving the tanks empty.
I have used properly treated fuel 2 years after it was put in the boat. I don't see that "Sea Foam" has any place being added to preserve fuel.

If I know it is a year, until I will use the boat, then I pump the fuel out and use it in my truck. I have an external electrical fuel pump as part of my "polishing" system.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our boat can sit for three or 4 months without use. I use rec gas or ethanol free gas and Yamaha Ring free for the motor but no gas preservative. I rarely use any gas preservative additives bc right or wrong, I feel they are more sizzle than steak. Next time we go out and we add 30 -60 gal of fresh gas.
bobjarrard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject: The doctor has spoken Reply with quote

I do not disagree on what others may do, I would add Caro syrup to my fuel if I thought it might help even a bit. Lots of folks I know use Techron, Mercury Quikstor, Star Tron, Sea Foam, Biobor, Lucas, AMSOIL, and Marvel. I think some may use all of these at once and just skip the gasoline. I am not saying that Bob is wrong, he is way over my rank, just that you asked for opinions and so that is why we have a forum. Taking 44 gallons of fire accelerant out of your boat and away from your storage idea is not perhaps a bad idea, ask your local FD on that one!!! BEST IDEA is this one; give me a call and take me boating and on a long trip or two at that. I will come up coast to meet you or come down to Lake Mead and food, gas, lake fees and the lot are on me in exchange for a boat holiday on the lake. We live 8 minutes from the dam and under 30 minutes to the ramp at Willow Beach below the dam.
Bob Jarrard
bobjarrard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: missed one Reply with quote

OOPS - forgot Yammie Ring Free which many boaters use. Bob
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some years I fill it full, some years I drain it empty. But I never leave it somewhere in between, as I'm concerned about it taking on moisture then. Also, while I use Regular fuel with 10% ethanol most the season, I go to non-ethanol fuel for the last fill up and add marine Sta-bil, so that any fuel left in the system over winter is non-ethanol and stabilized. To drain it, I have a small electric pump that I can hook onto the main fuel filter outlet. Colby
ObiWron

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: The doctor has spoken Reply with quote

bobjarrard wrote:
I do not disagree on what others may do, I would add Caro syrup to my fuel if I thought it might help even a bit. Lots of folks I know use Techron, Mercury Quikstor, Star Tron, Sea Foam, Biobor, Lucas, AMSOIL, and Marvel. I think some may use all of these at once and just skip the gasoline. I am not saying that Bob is wrong, he is way over my rank, just that you asked for opinions and so that is why we have a forum. Taking 44 gallons of fire accelerant out of your boat and away from your storage idea is not perhaps a bad idea, ask your local FD on that one!!! BEST IDEA is this one; give me a call and take me boating and on a long trip or two at that. I will come up coast to meet you or come down to Lake Mead and food, gas, lake fees and the lot are on me in exchange for a boat holiday on the lake. We live 8 minutes from the dam and under 30 minutes to the ramp at Willow Beach below the dam.
Bob Jarrard

Wink
ObiWron

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all! Much appreciated.... I think I'll siphon and use in the truck. Maybe time to invest in an electric pump. Thumbs Up
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On pumping the fuel out: My electric pump is never in the goat. I often pull the fuel out of one of the ports of the Racor filter, (the current 25 has a second fuel tap, for filling the Honda generator, and I use that on the current boat.

The battery, and fuel pump are located on the ground, between the boat and the 5 gallon cans, which I use to transfer fuel. If I pump it out, there is usually only a few gallons.

Since we are making two long trips each year, usually a about 6 months apart, I just treat with Stabil--use only non ethanol fuel. When I had the carbureted 90 on the 22, I drained the carburetors. With the fuel injected engine, that is not necessary. The newest Honda generator (2200) has a fuel shut off valve, and I just run the fuel out of the carburetor. The rest of the fuel in the tank is treated as in the main tank. We do run the Honda about at least every three months, Although it is tertiary back up for the house, we want to be sure it is OK for emergency use.
ObiWron

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
On pumping the fuel out: My electric pump is never in the goat. I often pull the fuel out of one of the ports of the Racor filter, (the current 25 has a second fuel tap, for filling the Honda generator, and I use that on the current boat.

The battery, and fuel pump are located on the ground, between the boat and the 5 gallon cans, which I use to transfer fuel. If I pump it out, there is usually only a few gallons.

Since we are making two long trips each year, usually a about 6 months apart, I just treat with Stabil--use only non ethanol fuel. When I had the carbureted 90 on the 22, I drained the carburetors. With the fuel injected engine, that is not necessary. The newest Honda generator (2200) has a fuel shut off valve, and I just run the fuel out of the carburetor. The rest of the fuel in the tank is treated as in the main tank. We do run the Honda about at least every three months, Although it is tertiary back up for the house, we want to be sure it is OK for emergency use.

I was thinking of pumping out just 5 gal. at a time directly from the splashwell caps 5 gal. at a time and adding to my truck along with fresh gas when filling up. Is coming off the filter crucial? My filter is located flush against the stern wall of the starboard storage well. Lil tough to get to the remaining fuel port.
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No off the filter is not essential--where ever is most easily accessed. Racors have 4 ports; two are in and two are out. I prefer not to be taking the fuel line on and off the motor.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Bob, I have the extra ports on my mail fuel filter. It's not easy trying to feed a siphon tube down thru the filler neck into the tank! And I had previously set up my electric pump and extra fuel connections at the filter for my kicker. But the electric pump also works nice for removing fuel out of the tanks, or providing fuel to my generator or anything else. Colby
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make a habit of emptying my fuel tanks on the boat and any other small motor I have when I don't plan to use it for several months. I tried syphoning my C-Dory fuel tanks, but I could not get a tube into the tank for some reason, there must be some sort of filter installed there. So I simply remove the fuel line from the motor and insert it in to the cockpit drain hole and into a fuel canister and drain it that way. I use it up in the car and start with fresh fuel next season.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have always stored my boat with full tanks and double dosed Stabil in Non-ethanol gas, tanks full. Has (one time) set for 8 months. Starts right up and runs like a top. And it helps top keep the batteries on a BatteryMinder charging system.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: