The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

New member saying hello!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaredTatro

City/Region: Kirkland
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:21 pm    Post subject: New member saying hello! Reply with quote

Hello, just wanted to stop by and join the club. I don't have a boat yet but am putting together a plan to buy one after I purchase a house in a couple of years. I found the brand C-Dory on some random forums when trying to find a boat that would do well around the puget sound (seattle, wa) area for fishing. Anyway, I hope to one day save enough money to purchase a C-Dory boat, I am thinking a 16'-22'. I do not know anything about boats, but have a deep desire to go cruise around and catch lots of fish. I don't have any friends in the area who have boats, I currently live in Kirkland, WA and am excited to fish around the region.

Questions for the community:
-What model of boat would be good for the Puget Sound Area?
-What size motor should I shoot for?
-What are yearly tabs and registration costs on a $20k-30k boat in Washington State?
-What type and how much money does it cost to maintain such a boat?
-What are some things that you wish you would've known before buying your boat?

Thanks y'all I look forward to being part of the community!

-Jared

Beer Beer Beer Beer
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome aboard. Best is to go to one of the frequent C brat gatherings in the PNW.

I personally think that 22 is a better boat for all weather fishing in the PNW. It can be done in the `16, but quite a difference in volume of the boats, as well as the 22 being a bit more seaworthy.

For the 22 90 hp is the usual engine. Ranges from 50 to 115.
I'll let the Wa residents address the registration costs--not a lot considering.
Maintenance: depends: If you trailer and keep the boat at home, the costs are minimal Fuel, a good wax and detail job once or twice a year. Fixing broken things,,or upgrades. If in the water or a dry stack--going to be monthly fees, plus in the water, periodically pulling out an a $1000 paint job on the bottom.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
JaredTatro

City/Region: Kirkland
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the reply Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for the info, much appreciated. I found a local boat for sale, wish I had the money today I'd buy it! https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/boa/d/lynnwood-dory-22-angler-ready-to-fish/6961171398.html (Archive Link: http://archive.is/nAVAu)

I think I will shoot for something like this one when the time comes. My intent is to fish for the day and head home, but the cruisers are cool because you can actually camp in them and that would be a ton of fun for my little family (wife, 9yr old daughter, dog). I guess I need to figure out what my actual usage would be, prob should go with a cruiser to have more options.

I will definitely see if I can attend one of the next PNW meet ups, would be awesome to see a couple of the boats in person, maybe get lucky and get a ride on one!

-Jared
Desert Dory

City/Region: Tucson
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Desert Dory
Photos: Desert Dory
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Jared!

There are lots of no-boat Brats on this site. I was a member on here for 13 years before finally getting our boat 3 weeks ago.

Being in AZ we really didn't get a chance to attend a gathering but, since you live up there in C-DORY land, take advantage of a gathering or an offer to check out someone's boat. This is such a great, friendly, welcoming community, you'll be hooked.

Also, check the for sale ads here daily when you're ready to buy. Great deals pop up every once in awhile, you just have to be ready to act fast and maybe travel a ways to get it done. We drove a little over 1800 miles, one way, to get ours.

Best of luck, and be ready to have some fun,
Allen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: