The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

batteries need replacing?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Fishin C

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: batteries need replacing? Reply with quote

Garmin 740 radar/chartplotter shuts off when I use my electric trims tabs.
Worked well for 5 year till this year.

Could it be my batteries do not hold enough volts to power both?

Chartplotter shows 11.1 Volts on one battery and 11.3 volts on other battery.

batteries are probably at least 6 years old.
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have flooded cell batteries, check the water level and top off with distilled water if necessary. 11.1 and 11.3 volts is pretty low which may be the culprit. A new battery on a good smart type trickle charger should show a battery voltage state of about 12.9 or 13 volts. If a battery goes below 12 volts too many times, its expected life is shortened.

Last edited by DayBreak on Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: batteries need replacing? Reply with quote

A Fishin C wrote:
Garmin 740 radar/chartplotter shuts off when I use my electric trims tabs.
Worked well for 5 year till this year.

Could it be my batteries do not hold enough volts to power both?

Chartplotter shows 11.1 Volts on one battery and 11.3 volts on other battery.

batteries are probably at least 6 years old.

You probably have a corroded or loose connection some where. Thumbs Up
The battery's should read 12.6 or more at the terminals.
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience is most flooded lead-acid batteries are shot after 4 - 5 years.
If yours are 6, it's time...

Aye.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Measure battery voltage at the battery, and load test the battery . (any auto parts store should have a load tester--and do it for no charge.)

What the chart plotter is seeing is the. voltage it is receiving. As mentioned there is often a voltage drop due to corrosion. Remember that the ground system is just as important as the positive system. Every year, go over all of the connections, check for corrosion-put on non corrosive dielectric grease and tighten up the fittings.

Also often C Dory did not put large enough wire running from the batteries to the console. When I buy another C Dory, I double the size of the wiring--I also put in a large fuse block--and then run each item off its own circuit.

If the battery voltage is 11.1 or 11.3, at the battery it is shot. Generally you should not discharge a flooded lead acid battery to less than 12.2 volts, resting steady state. (nothing running off the battery for at least 30 minutes).

Unless you have one of the newest "smart chargers", leaving a trickle charger is probably not the best practice. Electrolyte needs to be checked regularly in any flooded lead acid battery.

If you take care of batteries they can last a long time. I got over eight years out of the starting batteries on my last large RV (Starting an 8.3 Liter Cummins Diesel). However most small boat batteries don't last more than 3 to 4 years. Although many don't bring batteries up to full charge after using the boat--relying own the engine to charge the batteries, this is not necessarily best practice. The battery needs to be topped off after your use the boat.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Measure battery voltage at the battery, and load test the battery . (any auto parts store should have a load tester--and do it for no charge.)...

I was having problems starting my truck. I thought it might be the battery. I took it to the auto parts store and they charged it and load tested. They said it the battery was fine. Reinstalled it and the truck started fine. Next day no dice. Replaced the battery and have had no problems since.

The moral of the story is that even if the auto parts store tells you the battery is fine, it may not be. The battery that failed was only a little over 1 year old.

After 5 years, I'd just replace them anyway.
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m2cw You got your money worth and buy new ones.
A Fishin C

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks everyone,

I will be replacing the batteries asap.
A Fishin C

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charged up battery 2 last night, says 12.5 volts

checked it out and traced the fault to the port side electric trim tab.

checked the deutsch connectors and the fuse. even switched the wiring to another accessory panel. It still causes the use of the trim tab to shutt offt the other accessory (vhf).

Opened up the top of the trim tab and looks dry in there. (now i dont know which wire went where)

any ideas? the trim tab still works...
BrentB

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would start looking at the tabs wiring from helm to tabs

tabs should be one circuit with no other items.

then check each tab

maybe some creative wiring between 2 items

I just 3 months redoing, updating and replacing items on our Parker. I sure like Blue Seas components esp bus bars and power posts. I removed a lot of poor wiring and tinkering to make it right
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be a bad motor or mechanism is requiring lots of current to move the tab which is causing the electrical system voltage to sag too much. Does the same thing happen when the motor is running, or just when the tabs are moved using the battery?

I'd get a current meter and check the current draw for each actuator. In theory they should be the same.
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a fully charged battery should be higher than 12.5 volts--especially if just charged over night. I would want to see at least 12.6 to 12.7 volts for a flooded lead acid battery.

There could be corrosion or bad fittings in the trim tab circuit.

Agree that you should check out the entire trim tab circuit, since there is evidence that it is drawing excess current.

The usual digital volt meter may not be able to be used. Generally if over 250 to 500 milli amps, one has to change the positive lead to the fused circuit--which usually only measures up to 10 amps. Beyond that, you have to have a clamp on multi meter or a specific meter with a shunt designed for higher amperage. If there is a short or bad motor, the current draw may be in excess of 10 amps, and it will blow the fuse in the multimeter.

No matter, you have to both check out the circuit and at least have the battery load tested. (Or buy a load tester at Harbor Freight).
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction on my earlier post!

Earlier when I said that one should use a smart type trickle charger, I should have used the term smart charger. Smart chargers use a 3 stage charge. They are safe, easy to use and will not overcharge your battery. The first stage is a bulk charge. There is no risk of overcharging your battery with this stage because your battery has not reached a full charge yet. At about 85% charge, the battery has reached absorption stage. At this point most chargers will maintain a steady voltage while the amperage declines. The lower current going into the battery slowly brings up the charge on the battery without overheating it. The last stage is the float charge. This stage brings up the battery up to 100% and maintains that state of charge. The current decreases to the point where it is considered a trickle.

It's the healthiest thing for a battery is to remain at 100% state of charge.

We use a Deltran Battery Tender 3 amp. battery charger and maintainer year-round on our C-Dory and are happy with the product.
BrentB

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 Noco Genius battery chargers on our boat and a portable Battery Minder charger recommended by Thataway
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daybreak, you are correct--but where I may differ is your use of the:
Quote:
This stage brings up the battery up to 100% and maintains that state of charge. The current decreases to the point where it is considered a trickle.

From the Deltran Battery Tender 3 amp web site:
Quote:
The Battery Tender® Power Plus is a 3 Amp battery charger that will fully recharge and then maintain a battery at its proper storage voltage without the damaging effects caused by trickle chargers.

I use the Battery Tender or Battery Minder, small chargers on our cars when we are gone for a period of time, to get away from the "trickle" chargers. They sample the voltage as does the Norco. If lower than 12.7V iit gives a short very low amperage charge and then rests. I have a constant monitor system on the 25.
Because of my ventilation system, I have some small parasitic draw on the boat. (as well as cars) and watch the Norco go from 12.7 to 13.3 and then back...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: