The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Dual Binnacle for Main and Kicker

View previous topic :: View next topic  
teedidy

City/Region: Shoreline
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject: Dual Binnacle for Main and Kicker Reply with quote

Hello Brats, Next round of questions. I am solid on the Yamaha 200 with the Yamaha 9.9 on a 25. What I would like, is a “Twin Engine Binnacle” to control the main with the left and to independently control the kicker with the right. I would like to have full independent trim, throttle, and shifting control on both the right and the left for the main and the kicker. After reading through various other forums, I have found this can and has been done. However, when I have seen/read about this both engines where mechanical. I am not opposed to the main being mechanical, but I would like to understand if it is possible to have a digital main and a mechanical kicker with the same side by side twin engine binnacle.

Another option would be to have two narrow single engine binnacles mounted side by side left for the main digital and right for the mechanical kicker.

The last option would be to have the two binnacles in a row with the front to back. This might be the easiest but would be my least favorite option.

Why you might ask would I be looking for this configuration? http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=6537&sid=f3dda7af616b5e723651c8c65134a7d1 is one of many threads I have found very interesting. Also, I will be trolling a fair amount and having easy to reach controls is important. Having a clean helm is also a must.

The next question that might be asked is why not just get a mechanical main and save 10%.... I might and likely will if I am not able to get the layout I am looking for.

Lastly, I have checked this forum and didn’t find much on the topic of “Digital vs Mechanical” for the main. Other than the ability to easily add a second helm (which I don’t want to do). Would I be foolish to get a mechanical main when I could have had a digital main instead?

Thank you for your time.

-Troy

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or better yet get twin digital, and that way you can have a station in the cockpit--with only a throttle/shifter--and perhaps jog control using auto pilot for steering. Small clean and neat. Or if you really want it small, then use wired remote--or wireless--and have both engines in a palm held package. It is very easy to put the auto pilot remote--red and green buttons, port and starboard-- add those to the hand held device.

There are units available from Yamaha, Mathers, Sea Star, Glendinning and Morse, off the top of my head. Anyone which goes from digital/wired or wireless to a control box with cables to the engine could be adapted for your use. It just takes money and engineering.

As far as the cost--I suspect it will be far more than 10% cost differential. Of course there is always the issue of reliability. Generally it is very good. But I remember a few years back a chartered yacht took out the entire fuel dock at Naniamo because of a failure of "digital" controls.

Not sure what the objective is? Fishing, and trolling motor controls--better and cheaper ways. If you are trolling, you probably want cockpit controls, when fish handling. Also there are many times a cockpit control--especially single handling, that it would be handy.

To have better "docking control"? Well--that is boat handling skills. There are lots of C Brats who single hand, or effectively single hand, and do very well with docking, and maneuvering.

As for a tandem arrangement--one behind the other--There would not be room to be comfortable doing this. But also when they are side by side--and you have a urgent situation--where you need to have a quick maneuver--be sure that all controls are easily "reachable".

KISS is often far better.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Binnacle for Main and Kicker Reply with quote

teedidy wrote:
Hello Brats, Next round of questions. I am solid on the Yamaha 200 with the Yamaha 9.9 on a 25. What I would like, is a “Twin Engine Binnacle” to control the main with the left and to independently control the kicker with the right. I would like to have full independent trim, throttle, and shifting control on both the right and the left for the main and the kicker. After reading through various other forums, I have found this can and has been done. However, when I have seen/read about this both engines where mechanical. I am not opposed to the main being mechanical, but I would like to understand if it is possible to have a digital main and a mechanical kicker with the same side by side twin engine binnacle.

Another option would be to have two narrow single engine binnacles mounted side by side left for the main digital and right for the mechanical kicker.

The last option would be to have the two binnacles in a row with the front to back. This might be the easiest but would be my least favorite option.

Why you might ask would I be looking for this configuration? http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=6537&sid=f3dda7af616b5e723651c8c65134a7d1 is one of many threads I have found very interesting. Also, I will be trolling a fair amount and having easy to reach controls is important. Having a clean helm is also a must.

The next question that might be asked is why not just get a mechanical main and save 10%.... I might and likely will if I am not able to get the layout I am looking for.

Lastly, I have checked this forum and didn’t find much on the topic of “Digital vs Mechanical” for the main. Other than the ability to easily add a second helm (which I don’t want to do). Would I be foolish to get a mechanical main when I could have had a digital main instead?

Thank you for your time.

-Troy

First of all would love to get on your boat once you re-power. I have distant dreams about a 200 Yami but our 150 honda is only 760 hours in and our kicker is on a dual binnacle. Now to your questions. Does the 10% difference include the cost of the digital control or just the engine difference? Do you really need the kicker if you have a brand new 200 Yami? That would be the cleanest setup. Does Yamaha have any advanced digital features like joystick auto docking that could make it as manuvarable as the dual engine feature?

I used to have a 115 yami with 9.9 both mechanical on the dual Binn and it worked well. Given the space beside the captain's chair on the 25 I wouldn't want two seperate Binnacles and would go with the old style mechanical if I was going dual. You do have to replace shift cables about every 10 years, but maybe less if you don't have any steep bends.

Mechanical engines now have NEMA interfaces so your lowrance or other electronics can display most of the engine data.

For me unless I see a big feature I'm missing I'd save 10% and buy gas for Tuna fishing or crusing!
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok....my 2 cents. I have a 200 hp Yamaha mechanical and a 9.9 Yamaha hi thrust. My kicker is controlled by a Troll Master 3+ wireless throttle control so that I can change the speed anywhere on the boat. The boat has a Garmin reactor autopilot that can also be wireless remotely controlled. A Panther rod connects the two motors. The only possible down side is that to go from forward to reverse one has to go to the kicker and change it. I troll a lot (over 100 hours a year) and it works great.

Fresh Lake Superior Lake Trout for dinner tonight....Salmon last night....

Very Happy

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
teedidy

City/Region: Shoreline
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Or better yet get twin digital, and that way you can have a station in the cockpit--with only a throttle/shifter--and perhaps jog control using auto pilot for steering. Small clean and neat.

There are units available from Yamaha, Mathers, Sea Star, Glendinning and Morse, off the top of my head. Anyone which goes from digital/wired or wireless to a control box with cables to the engine could be adapted for your use. It just takes money and engineering..

Dr. Bob, that is brilliant and the exact answer I was hoping was available.

I have reached out to SeaStar, they didn't have something initially that would work (I only asked about the i7700 controller)

www.glendinningprods.com has their Smart Actuator series that looks promising along with HANDHELD REMOTE CONTROL to control the kicker while in the cockpit. I will post back with more information as I find it.

I have not seen an actuator or complete solution from Yamaha. I will keep looking.

I am unable to find anything for Mathers or Morse perhaps do to my poor searching ( lots of famous people with those names ).

thataway wrote:
KISS is often far better.

Twin Digital Binnacle to a Digital Main(Left) and to an actuator(right) to the kicker that can also accept a hand held remote. That might not be exactly Kiss, but its exactly what I want.

As always, thank you for your time.

-Troy
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mathers Micro Commander series is: Here
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: