V-BERTH "BULKHEAD" STORAGE??!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
therevdr

City/Region: Lake St. Clair
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: DRIFTWOOD DREI
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: V-BERTH "BULKHEAD" STORAGE??!! Reply with quote

It is a subject I've seen touched on before (in some C-DORY website)....CAN THE V-BERTH "BULKHEAD" (that area under the cushions) AREAS BE OPENED UP FOR STORAGE?
From experience with a crack at the step from the cabin into the v-berth, I know that the "dead-air-space between the two molded-fiberglas units is subjected to much internal air pressure as the boat travels through waves and chop. I also know that there is some floatation material in those areas; but there is also a lot of empty space.
I know somebody has gotten in there and used the area for storage com- partments . . . has it worked? what are the complications?? what are some thoughts??? [As you might guess ~ I am contemplating a "winter boat-out-of-the-water" project!
therevdr
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Yes I did sort of... Reply with quote

I moved the porta-pot back...and sealed up the area where it was stored before on my 22'.... now I carry my tools, deck stuff, first aid kit and lots of small junk in there....it is still easy to get to, but you now have to lift the cushion to get to it....
Then I extended the bed to fill in the cut-out are...so it is now straight across, and made a cushion to fill in that spot...gives me a better sleeping area...
the porta-pot still fits under it well...and is no more bother than before...
kinda nice to have the extra storage under the bed.

Joel
SEA3PO
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

therevdr-

Greg (Red Fox) put a water tank in there, among other things (on a "classic" 22). The project was on his website at one point, but don't know if it's still there or accessible. See if you can find a way to get to it.

The bow "tank" is there for flotation purposes, but there's no reason it can't be used for something else as well.

I'd keep the weight down for fore-aft balance, and also be sure to preserve the tank's water tight integrity.

The bow tank composes most of the boat's emergency flotation. The air and lighter fuel in the gas tanks, the air in the water tank, the wood in the cabinetry, and the balsa core, etc., compose the rest.

Without the bow tank, there really isn't enolugh to keep the boat afloat. Our limited observations and deductions would indicate that, even with the bow tank, the boat floats upside down with only the underside of the bow above the water.

So what do you think you can store in there? Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Redƒox

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my… now I can be of assistance here! … Give me some time, I am told I can copy all my stuff to the old C-Brat site, where I will not be taking up so much storage here. When I get around to it, I’ll let C-Brats Online know about it, and maybe we can get a link to the goods again!
Thanx for postin Joe! I have a little time right now for the site, then I gotta split…

In answer to the original post ---- YES! It’s a great mod…
therevdr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: BULKHEAD STORAGE . . . Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies so far . . . It was probably the RED FOX posting that I saw a few years back.
Exactly what I would store in those potential forward storage areas is up in the air; the amount of weight that would be workable would be a key consideration (although, when traveling through the constant and mostly random chop of Lake St. Clair, the ride is improved with a little trim tab help . . . so some additional weight in the bow would probably work well).
One additional factor that I am considering is the hull warranty . . . whether it would be best to wait until after the 5-year warranty period is over before doing something that might be termed as compromising the integrity of the fiberglas forms!??!
It would be great to hear any other thoughts on this topic!!
therevdr
Redƒox

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manolive, I would not touch it till the warranty is expired Exclamation No, it ain't gonna compromise the integrity, I'm sure it would the factory coverage though Neutral

Another thought on the storage: Anything that goes there is mostly -- below water line (low center of gravity---good)! but rides in the harshest place of the boat - as far as "ride" is concerned Neutral Hey, if my beer bottles survive it, almost anything can! Even in the rough, it's all mostly a matter of how you pilot your boat... IE use trim tabs, and slow her down Thumbs Up The bow-storage is mostly a place for emergency rations, besides a great place to relocate your water tank Exclamation I admit its kind of a pain getting to stuff under there.... you have to push aside everything on top first... we usually have that area full-o-crap Crook

Greg
C-Otter

City/Region: Superior
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: C-Otter
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you think the insurance co. would say.
C-Otter
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to Greg's conversion. He did a very nice job from what I can tell in the pictures!

http://www.msnusers.com/C-DoryRedFox/vberth.msnw

therevdr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: BULKHEAD STORAGE Reply with quote

I've now found the REDFOX links/archives and other discussions both at C-DORY OWNERS and C-BRATS (I don't know why I couldn't put a cursor on those forums before!!??) . . . as with most any topic that is discussed, the information and ideas are tremendous!!!
Thanks,
therevdr
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: