The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Twin Honda 40’s to twin Honda 60’s
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-Waypoint-

City/Region: Jensen Beach, Florida
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Photos: Waypoint
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boat has the 1998 Honda twin BF40 set up like your boat did.

Tenacious C question; Do you notice that your new Tohatsu twins make less noise than your old Hondas?

I was chatting with a Sea-Tow boat Captain the other day. His company repowered a fleet of six boats with all Tohatsu outboards. He had his idling at the dock next to me. I didn’t even know it was running! He mentioned that it was a Honda outboard engine with different paint and stickers. Kind of like the Johnson and Evinrude back in the day. If I had any complaints about my engines it would be that they are rusting apart, and they are noisy for a 4-stroke engine! I keep it in my mind that they are 22 years old and that could be the issue. But the new BF40 looks the same, so how could it be any quieter?

Has anyone replaced there old Hondas with new ones of the same HP? Are they quieter? (Would like to put away the earplugs at 2000 rpms.) Other than that, I LOVE the twin engine set up. But not a good excuse for me to replace them yet. Thanks for any feedback.

T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what twin 70 hp yammis would be like - pretty sure you could even plane on just one. It's an interesting thought.
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.R. Bauer wrote:
I wonder what twin 70 hp yammis would be like - pretty sure you could even plane on just one. It's an interesting thought.

They would be like heaven.

I had them on a 23 as replacements for the original Yamaha F50's. The 23 is heavier than the 22 to begin with, and I generally used the boat heavily laden for long range cruises, so it was marginal planning on one engine. That said, with the 70's I had a couple more mph at top end, and better mileage at best cruise (22-24 mph) with lower rpm.

I think the weight was comparable (maybe a little less) than a single 150 with a 8-10 hp kicker.

Anyway, I absolutely loved them. I would guess you could plane a 22 with one of these, especially with a little prop experimentation, unless the boat were really heavily loaded.

WeekiTiki

City/Region: Weeki Wachee
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Just Cruisin'
Photos: WeekiTiki
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off topic but for what reason is the 23 transom so much lower?

NORO LIM

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WeekiTiki wrote:

Here's another view. The Venture has a full-height splashwell. The forward wall of the splashwell is the same height as the gunwales. The 22 C-Dory has a cut-out in the middle of the splashwell.

WeekiTiki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked at them

They seem to sit so low

I'd think there'd be water intrusion through the self bailing port

Like the size and extra weight of the hull

Just think it needs some tweeking

Like the twin 70s
NORO LIM

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WeekiTiki wrote:
. . .

. . .

I assume you know it's just the splashwell that is "self-bailing," not the cockpit. At any rate, water intrusion into the splashwell is certainly not a problem. Not enough water could accumulate in there to put the ports below the waterline. I worried about lots of things in more than 6,000 miles up and down the Inside Passage. The splashwell was not one of them.
T.R. Bauer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think twin 70s yammis would be great on a 22 for some people. They only weigh a handful of pounds more than the twin Honda setup. The thing about the 22 is it cruises along great when conditions allow well into the upper 20s and low 30s when lightly loaded. The boat does very well in these conditions.

Then loading comes into play and if you go very heavy, like many of us do, and use the boat like the cruiser it is designed to be, bringing everything you think you might need because you're going to the middle of the wilderness, then your "cruise" is now full throttle and only like 22 mph. That's fast enough for many people, but when you have a lot of water to cover, the difference between 16-20 mph (don't like running full throttle) and about 25-30 mph, which I'm sure you could with twin 70s, can become hours.
-Waypoint-

City/Region: Jensen Beach, Florida
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Photos: Waypoint
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOOOOOO Jealous C-Whisper! Your 70’s are beautiful, and I bet they are quite too. Yamaha would be my first choice if I was powering with a single engine. I was looking at that set up for my 22 Cruiser but it won’t work for me. 80 hp. fully loaded for a 10-day camping trip is plenty of power. I would rather have the 2.2 gallons per hour at 16 kts. (4200 rpms.) with my twin BF40’s than the 4 gallons per hour with the extra 2 cylinders that need filling. For my boat, running at 22 kts. (5500 RPM. WOT) is not comfortable for me, terrifies the wife, and the boat can go further between fill-ups. Yamaha in my area (South Florida) does zero repowering on boats less than 150 hp. So many things for me, are saying do not buy Yamaha twins to repower my C-Dory 22’. But they are awesome on your 23 Venture!

Went to the boat show and got a quoit for 2 new fuel injected Honda BF40’s with all new everything to the helm station (not installed for $12,000). Has anyone on this website, replaced there original carbureted Honda twins with new fuel injected BF40- BF50’s? I may go Suzuki but would like the more plug and play if installing them myself. Honda’s seem the lightest for this motor configuration. Trying to find out if they are any less noisy than the original carbureted BF40’s. Nothing on YouTube about the new motors, all are about the carbureted ones.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The 23 has what is called a "Euro Transom".

Be cautious with too much hP on the 22. The transom has been known to have stress failure under certain conditions.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
T.R. Bauer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I repower it will be with a different boat.....so I keep saying.....lol....
WeekiTiki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NORO LIM wrote:
WeekiTiki wrote:
. . .

. . .

I assume you know it's just the splashwell that is "self-bailing," not the cockpit. At any rate, water intrusion into the splashwell is certainly not a problem. Not enough water could accumulate in there to put the ports below the waterline. I worried about lots of things in more than 6,000 miles up and down the Inside Passage. The splashwell was not one of them.

Thought the 23 was self bailing

Looked at one at Hontoon and the drains in the transom were under the water line and they weren't on the keel

But then it had a lot of extra weight on the stern at that time too
NORO LIM

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WeekiTiki wrote:
NORO LIM wrote:
WeekiTiki wrote:
. . .

. . .

Looked at one at Hontoon and the drains in the transom were under the water line and they weren't on the keel

Yes, you certainly could put enough people or stuff in the cockpit to drive those drain ports below the water line, but that would only allow a little water to enter the splashwell. Until you put enough weight in the boat to drive the full height transom wall or the gunnels under Shocked, you will not sink.

I may have sounded a little cavalier about recommending the twin F70's. Just to be clear, while I whole-heartedly endorse them on a 23, and they are quite light engines for their horsepower, I have no experience with the 22.
WeekiTiki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

had 140 hp on a 15 foot boat

But a C-Dory 22

Nah, rarely get to use all 75 I've got now

Have to look more closely at a 23 stern next time

Thought for sure it was a self bailing hull
T.R. Bauer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NORO LIM wrote:
WeekiTiki wrote:
NORO LIM wrote:
WeekiTiki wrote:
. . .

. . .

Yes, you certainly could put enough people or stuff in the cockpit to drive those drain ports below the water line, but that would only allow a little water to enter the splashwell. Until you put enough weight in the boat to drive the full height transom wall or the gunnels under Shocked, you will not sink.

I may have sounded a little cavalier about recommending the twin F70's. Just to be clear, while I whole-heartedly endorse them on a 23, and they are quite light engines for their horsepower, I have no experience with the 22.

I actually don't think you are being cavalier. I really doubt the twin 70s are much different on a CD 22 than they are on your boat. Ford built a 395 hp pickup that I really like and for some reason do not drive it 125 mph although it could probably do it. Maybe that is common sense? Yup....throw it out the window....LOL.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: