The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Twin Honda 40’s to twin Honda 60’s
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel

All my old gauges are gone for the Honda 40’s & also the motor controls. Last spring, I had replaced all 4 cables in the controls , so that cost & work was for nothing. The new controls feel very similar to the old, so no learning curve for the switch over. I do miss the expensive in its day combo twin rpm gauge, that showed both motors rpm on one gauge & when the motors where in sync & how much out when not. For the 60’s, I opted at present for twin separate rpm gauges with built in hour meters. For more $, I could have had nmea 2000 run to new gauges showing all the nmea 2000 data or if I would have had a more updated chart, I could have had that information shown on it. Being as my Garmin’s are 2004 & 2005 models & I plan to update them in the future, I will wait untill then to buy & run from the motors the nmea 2000 cables to a new a electronic chart. I’m in no hurry to update the Garmin’s as I find myself happily more & more using the iPad with Navionics for navigation, though It would be nice to have all the engine information easily available on a chart.

Jay

Hunkydory

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the added information from my Lake Powell cruise with the twin Honda 60’s, I will now purchase stainless New Solas 15 pitch props for future use at Lake Powell & in the PNW, might even just make it for Yellowstone Lake. I believe for us with twin 60’s, 15 pitch to be the optimum pitch. For others who decide to re power with twin 60’s, starting out with aluminum would be best until sure on a individual basis, as some who run lighter boat could very well go even higher in pitch.

On my Lake Powell cruise with aluminum 3 blade 14 pitch props, I could make slightly over 6000 rpms at between 31 & 32 mph with an extra 35 gallons of fuel beyond the main tanks 45 gallons, 30 gallons of water, the 80 lbs Kaboat on top & the 6 hp Suzuki in the cockpit. This with all the other items needed for a two week Lake Powell cruise made for a heavy boat, but not as heavy as when on an extended SE Alaska cruise. On an Alaska cruise the boat will be more heavy, but the additional hp from the elevation change of 11.5 hp should be enough for the 15 pitch props.

Jay
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The overall mpg on the 200 mile Lake Powell cruise was 5.4 mpg. The milage was measured by gps & the total fuel used a near exact physical measurement. The 5.4 mpg is from a very near a 50/50 combination of displacement & on plane cruising. The displacement speed was about 6 mph & the on plane ranged for the most part between 18 & 20 mph. I’m very pleased with these numbers & they will allow me to decrease the amount of extra fuel I carry aboard for extending the range between fuel stops on our SE Alaska cruises. On past SE Alaska cruises, where we would run a average of about 85/15 to 90/10% displacement vs planing the total cruise milage came out 5.2 mpg measured over thousands of miles with the 1999 40 hp motors having carburetors.

On our 2007 Alaska cruise towing the Mokai, when topped off, I had aboard 103 gallons of gas + another 3 gal in the Mokai & 6 gallons of diesel. On subsequent cruises, as I developed a better feel for the fuel needed, the amount was reduced each cruise, until in 2018 it was down to 91.5 gallons & for next years planned trip it will be 86.5 gallons. This includes 3 gallons in the fuel tank for the Suzuki 6 hp outboard powering the Kaboat & a 2.5 gallon gas container for the Honda generator. It doesn’t include the 6 gallons of diesel for the Wallas.

I only top off all the containers on the cruising sections where their extended range is needed.

Jay
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week on Flaming Gorge Reservoir, I tried out the new 11.1 inch x 15 pitch three blade stainless props. Flaming Gorge elevation is 6000 feet. With JoLee also aboard, but otherwise on the light side for us we had a WOT speed of 30 mph at 5300 rpm, 24 mph at 4450 rpm, 19.5 mph at 4000 rpm & 17 mph at a very quiet smooth 3700 rpm. At displacement speed of 2000 rpm on one motor 6 mph. These numbers could be slightly off, as I’m going from memory, having forgot to write the information down while running. The water was smooth with a very light breeze

The 60 mile run was done 20 miles at displacement speed & 40 miles on plane at between 16 & 30 mph. I used 11.3 gal of fuel making for an average of 5.3 mpg. Again I’m pleased with the fuel economy of these motors along with all else.

Jay
Catman

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, I'd sure be pleased with that kind of MPG. (I'm about 4.4.) More power, fewer RPM's necessary, and increased range. I'm really tickled for you with your brand new partners in exploration. Speaking of which, like Pat and Patti's '17 Loop and Osprey Andy's trip to Alaska, I really enjoy reading about all your adventures. And your photos are outstanding! Man, I sure play it safe compared to what you've experienced.
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brock, thanks for the nice comments. I really enjoyed finally meeting you & our conversations at the 2019 Friday Harbor Gathering. You have a great boat to head north to Alaska next summer. We plan to be up there again next year via Skagway & it would be wonderful to see you there somewhere too.

Jay
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the twin 60s idea. Somebody on here put twin 70 Suzuki on theirs and I like that too - probably get on step just fine with one engine! Of course, my old ass twin 45s do just fine too. Someday I am going to repower - or just get a different boat. I have a hard time though taking off perfectly running motors to put on different perfectly running motors that cost 8 grand each....
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.R. Bauer wrote:
I love the twin 60s idea. Somebody on here put twin 70 Suzuki on theirs and I like that too - probably get on step just fine with one engine! Of course, my old ass twin 45s do just fine too. Someday I am going to repower - or just get a different boat. I have a hard time though taking off perfectly running motors to put on different perfectly running motors that cost 8 grand each....

Your right about the cost being the hard part of the decision. What finally made the thought doable to me was knowing with my high hours on the old engines & the length of future plans of continuing to use it, along with the remote places going, it was a decision that would likely have to be made sometime. So, sooner rather than later would give me more time to enjoy their benefits with the cost coming at some point anyway.

Jay
T.R. Bauer

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't blame you at all. I travel very remote places as well and it is always in the back of my mind if these old things are going to give me trouble. They don't have an hour meter, but I'm reasonably sure they have somewhere between 2500-3000 hours on them since they are almost 30 years old and I put around 100 hours on them each year at a minimum. I figure they will corrode away before the internals fail since they don't use any oil or make any unusual noises. Honda sure does make great outboard motors in this size/class.
1Wiley

City/Region: Bay area
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Fidelio
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m not sure the hp ratings on your individual boats but do know if manufacturers recommendations exceeded you may have insurance problems for any claims
T.R. Bauer

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100% of my claims over 20 something years are because the trailer failed on our really crappy roads. Proving that extra hp caused an accident would be pretty hard. Up here, I'd say the most common claim is hitting a rock - don't think extra hp caused that.....lol....
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One week Lake Powell trip. 245 total miles. Burned 47 gal fuel. 184 miles or 75% on plane vs 61 miles or 25% displacement speed. Averaged 5.2 mpg with 15 pitch stainless props. WOT at 5800 rpm was 34.5 mph. The more I run these motors the more I like them. On my Alaska extended cruises running between 1200 & 2300 miles on the old Honda 40’s doing about 15% on plane & 85% at displacement speed my trips averaged about the same mpg of 5.2. Those old carbonated Honda 40’s were made to last, but I’m loving the fuel burn rate & power of these new Honda 60’s.

Jay
BillE

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: BillE
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, sorry if I missed it there, but have you tried getting on plane with a single 60, and if so, any difference from your 40s?
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, this is how I answered a similar question from Roger early in this thread (it’s getting a little long for one to check back through, so don’t mind at all re answering.

Roger, yes with a 10 pitch prop on Yellowstone Lake. On a motor designed to run WOT at between 5000 & 6000 rpm, I hit 13 mph at 5300 rpm. I couldn’t exceed 9 mph with either 12, 13 or 14 pitch three blade or 13 pitch four blade. It will be interesting to see with an additional 14 hp on each motor at sea level, what I can do with a single. With a 10 pitch prop on a single forty & the boat slightly lighter, I could plane on the Yukon River with the single Honda 40 at 5200 rpm & 12 mph, so I’m hopeful at sea level with the 60, I can with a higher pitched prop.

Bill, The 40 single would not have allowed planing on Yellowstone Lake at 7800 feet elevation. If not for the virus, I would now be in SE Alaska & definitely know if one 60 could get it on plane with the 15 pitch at sea level. My plan was to bring along a single 10 pitch prop just in case one motor did fail, so I could then for sure make a quick prop change & continue on plane if needed.

My old twin Honda 40’s only put out 61 hp on Yellowstone Lake & even loaded pretty heavy could always cruise on plane at reasonable speed & rpm at between 12 & 16 mph with WOT of around 19 mph with 10 pitch props.

Jay
Tenacious C

City/Region: Haines
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Tenacious C
Photos: Tenacious C
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For similar reasons,I replaced my carbureted Honda 40's with the Tohatsu 50's a couple years ago.I couldn't be happier about the swap. I'm within 4 lbs+- , with better fuel economy and noticeably more power. While the Hondas still ran well, they were showing corrosion at the swivel brackets, which always concerned me and was something I didn't want to tackle on 20 yr old motors. One of the things I'm most pleased with is, the security of how much quicker to start when cold, with the injected motors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: