View previous topic :: View next topic  
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Have Boat, Will Travel Reply with quote

Just thought I'd open up a new thread to share how much we travel with our boats. The past few years have found me putting 10,000+ miles a year on Midnight Flyer and her trailer. These are the statistics for this year.

March, St. Johns River gathering at Hontoon SP in Florida. 2,870 miles. Next to Alaska, this was probably also the next longest time spent cruising, as we followed C-Otter up to Jacksonville.

May - July, trailered 5,266 miles to Prince Rupert, to cruise the Inside Passage of SE Alaska. The boat itself saw 1,715 water miles with 241 hours added to the outboard.

August, Port Washington 225 miles.

September, Alton Il for the Mississippi gathering 700 miles.

October, Lake of the Ozarks 1000 miles.

(All the above are round trip miles.)

Total towage this year, 10,500 miles. Total hours on the outboard I think was around 350.

I love these trailerable boats!
chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are intense Colby

Checkpoint II (SOLD 10/2020)
Alure Bertram 28
Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, that is truly amazing, I hope we get up to half what you have accomplished. I'll say it again where you have traveled is incredible, well done!!

Lately we've done Guaymas/San Carlos Mexico to Lake Mead and Powell, and from South Dakota, Oregon, back to Monterey California then up to Lake Shasta.

I'm sorry I can't add a photo with my phone, I gave it a good try though.

1978 Folkes 38 SV Audacious (2006-2015)
Micah, KJ6GUF, Dana, KJ6GXG
RobMcClain

City/Region: Summerlin, NV
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Freedom
Photos: Freedom
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that’s dedication Colby! My wife and I have done our fair share of trailering to distant destinations but nothing that even remotely matches your travels. We have found that boating in the same waters year to year, to year, gets rather boring. We used to have a sailboat berthed in SF Bay and because of the prevailing winds the course was almost always the same. Now we have been able to boat the ICW, enjoying the history along the way. And experience the size and scope of Chesapeake Bay, which was truly mind boggling. It’s certainly unlike the Bay I was used to. And then there is the beauty of the PNW!! And of course the rivers and lakes in between East and West!

This year we made our first crossing into Canadian waters. May sound silly but for me, cruising into Victoria harbor was a retirement goal come true. We found clearing Customs to be remarkably easy - and friendly - on both sides. One other priceless aspect of our trailerable boats is the ability to meet other Brats, and boaters in general. We have found the Brat community second to none in friendliness, helpfulness, and fun!!

For us the one aspect of trailering we aren’t in love with is the actual launching and retrieving. We make an effort to visit ramps when they might be less busy. And if we are unfamiliar with a ramp I try to scope it out on Google Earth and Active Captain so I might know generally what to expect. We don’t live far from Lake Mead and will never use the ramp on a weekend because of all the mindless idiots. With that said, we launched in Newport, OR, one weekend during the height of fishing season (which we hadn’t realized since we don’t fish). While we had never seen such a busy, busy, busy ramp - yes, busy - the orderliness and commradarie was amazing, almost fun. Still, we find that the one aspect of trailering that is less enjoyable.

Rob
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, well done showing how these trailerable boats can be put to such good use with a wonderful time to be had.

This was a in between Alaska cruise year for us, so not up to some of our better years, but still made it to the San Juan’s, twice to Yellowstone Lake, a trip to Portland, OR for new motors & a end of year cruise on Lake Powell. Towed for 5431 miles, 672 miles cruising the boat & 46 nights aboard.

Since our first year with our CD 22 in 2003, we have now towed the HunkyDory 85,830 miles, cruised for 21,014 miles & spent 891 nights aboard. A larger more expensive boat would have provided more comfort during these miles & years, but at least for us not a more varied & enjoyable time.

Jay

colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Since our first year with our CD 22 in 2003, we have now towed the HunkyDory 85,830 miles, cruised for 21,014 miles & spent 891 nights aboard. A larger more expensive boat would have provided more comfort during these miles & years, but at least for us not a more varied & enjoyable time.

In the last three years alone, my total mileage has been just a bit over 35,000 miles of towing. But I'm pretty sure my cruising mileage has been much less than yours Jay. I do look at the larger boats with envy for the comfort. But for now I would not be content with not being able to trailer to other bodies of water. I love the diversity of being able to explore the different places, and in my own boat.
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby: That's impressive. So cool that you found your passion. I've been flip flopping over the years with how I spend my time (and money!). I've bounced around from international traveling to lower 48 motorcycle touring to boating/living aboard.

I'm currently very much enjoying my slower paced liveaboard lifestyle (with my new lady).

Cheers mate. Keep the passion alive! I always like reading your DETAILED posts after the CBGT's .

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason, I think that lower 48 motorcycle cruising would have to be pretty cool too. Before the boats, I was big in Motorhome camping. Crisscrossed all over the USA, including Alaska. Really added to my airline piloting, as I could look down and even from 5 or 6 miles up in the sky, I knew what the land looked like up close down below me. My boys were young and it was a family affair! They got to see so much of our country's geography. That's still the neat thing about "boaterhoming" for me as I travel to the various bodies of water! Colby
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, Thanks for starting this. I think it is great to actually express in numbers how great these practical little trailer yachts are. I am nowhere near you or Jay in numbers, but I did get in some trailering, actually boaterhoming this year and I do enjoy that.

San Francisco Bay and Delta Extravaganza included a bucket list item for me, Crossing under the Golden Gate. That was 1800 miles RT, and 3 weeks on the water there with stops in SF, Sacramento and Stockton. Two interesting spots were docking in Old Town Sacramento, at the city dock with a 4 knot river current running parallel to the dock, and of course getting out of SF Bay and under the "Gate". (Thanks so much again for the group guides I had there.)

Another (Short) towing trip was up to Lake Chelan this fall. Only a week there but 600 miles round trip, and back to some old haunts. A good scoping out for a longer spell next season.

I did not tow up to Vancouver Island this year, but instead took the boat on its own bottom from Sequim Bay up as far as Port McNeil, Spending 6 weeks on the water on that trip. The towing for that one was a total of 5 miles Laughing

For the year, 2400 miles towing, and 225 hours on the engines. (Sorry, I have not kept track of the sea miles.) And, including some local week and weekend trips, 100 nights on board. Ahh, no wonder the motorcycle felt lonely this year.

(PS: Jason do you still ride?)

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome skippers sharing wonderful experiences!

We all hope to share some of them if we live long enough.

Thanks for sharing!

John

South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Harvey. Yeah, I still have my BMW F800 ST.
dgeorges

City/Region: Highlands Ranch
State or Province: CO
Vessel Name: FRESH FISH
Photos: FRESH FISH
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPEECHLESS

CD 22 Cruiser "FRESH FISH: 2018 to present.
CD 16 Angler "OPA": 2013 to 2019.
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mileage is one thing, racking up the numbers (locomotion, flitting from place to
place). Quite popular, yes. Maybe even impressive.

But, do you think you're really getting somewhere? Remember, we're all on the
clock. Don't forget to recognize your essence and find significance in the small
and slow.

One day, you may find yourself confined, limited compared to before. Does that
mean you are less significant?

Don't set yourself up for disappointment or worse.

Aye.

Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As they say "we're all on the road to nowhere" and "what a long strange trip it's been" we've "smelled the rose's" and enjoyed every minute!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: