View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: canada canals Reply with quote

gulfcoast john wrote:
<Some clipped>

New pictures on page 11.....

Including one of us next to a USA tractor-trailer rig at a rest stop. When I tell some of you that our rig is ‘about as long’ as a tractor-trailer rig, I can actually HEAR you roll your eyes. A picture is worth 1000 (or even 1800) words.

John

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: canal cruise Reply with quote

OK, so our dream of being the first Brats to float a lock has crashed and burned in a spectacular fashion.

So maybe transiting the Oswego canal south to north twice in 5 days is a Brat first record!

Robert Wilkinson: “We did that 8 times in 3 days during an ice storm at night. I had to pick the lock at each lockmaster’s control room and work all the valves and gates. The shift cable was buggered up so we had to do the whole thing in reverse gear, and every time we hit a bergy with the prop, I had to pull the prop and hammer on it. Of course we couldn’t use any lights. And I forgot my gloves.”

Distraught Hindenburg reporter: "John's dream has crashed and burned yet again! Oh, the humanity!"

So maybe getting your outboard repaired in one day while on a cruise is a Brat first record!

Colby: “There was nothing wrong with your engine except its’ decision to allow you to operate it. I knew that the first time I saw you run your boat, and no doubt Paul did too.”

Distraught Hindenburg reporter: “John’s dream has crashed and burned AGAIN! OH, the HUMANITY!!”

OK, so maybe crossing Lake Ontario at 25-30MPH is a Brat first!

Bob: “We did it on a rough day in a few hours including smoke breaks, making 15 knots on inflatable stand-up paddleboards, and none of my cigars even got damp.”

Distraught Hindenburg reporter: “OH, THE HUMANITY!!!”

Oh well, the scenery is spectacular and the weather is great. Highs may reach 85 degrees for a few hours in the afternoon, but at 35% humidity with a stiff breeze we are glad we didn’t bring the 6000 BTU window air conditioner. 57 degrees last night. We piddled up the US side of the 1000 islands to Alexandria Bay, went over to Holdt castle for some pics, and back down the small-craft Canadian side, flying the courtesy Canadian flag. Somewhat rough and slamming return with whitecaps everywhere.

Absolutely incredibly clear fresh water where the rocks 15 feet down looks like 3 feet and up to 30 ft depth visibility of the huge killer boulders and submerged mountaintops beneath you. 5 days ago we were at Kingston, ON, Confederation Harbor marina after phoning in to clear Customs (easy if you pre-register at http:www.cbsa.gc.ca and click on Travellers for details...do that!). Customs will give you a ‘report number.’ they don’t tell you, but they expect you to display it in the window on BOTH sides of your boat to avoid problems with The Authorities. In Canada The Authorities carry big black menacing billy sticks and they know how to use them. (Don’t ask me how I know this). So display your Report Number.

4 days ago we were underway at the crack of 9AM to start the Rideau (pronounced “reed-o”) canal. The first 3 locks at Kingston Mills can take several hours to get through. 3 nights ago we were on the lock wall above Upper Brewers Lock 43 due to a severe thunderstorm blowing through about 2pm. We had power (Canadians call it ‘hydro’) and showers in a beautiful setting. Last night the Parks dock workers moved 2 boats further apart to allow us to parallel park into the last 28 feet with hydro, no showers. Very nice Parks workers, hats off.

Tonight we are 5 miles off the Ridaeu system at Westport to do laundry. My knee is still, if you will pardon the fancy medical terms, all swole up and hurtful (don’t try to bill for that, esp in Canada).

Hindenburg reporter: “You could post a picture in your album, but it would get less views than your Sewer Pipe Removal Project, and only Tyboo Mike thanked you for sharing that one. And I have a feeling he was being sarcastic.”

Me: "Move along, buddy, nothing to see here."

Some new pics on pages 11 and 12 of the album, but these marina wi fi’s are too slow to load pics and my Verizon JetPack is very pricey for photos.

A wonderful trip so far and in an absolutely stunningly beautiful area. Thanks Canada for allowing us to share it with you!

Any Brat that can wait a few days for a weather window on the larger lakes can do this with one hand and one eye and one knee.

Also, August is not a bad time to not be in Pensacola.

Cheers! and safe travels!
John

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you are having fun. (On and off the boat. Razz )

Wish I was there with you guys! Just to make sure you're not making anything up that you post. Mr. Green Colby
hank clow

City/Region: L'Anse
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Meri Aura
Photos: Meri Aura
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get to Ottawa, plan to take some time to enjoy that great city. We were able to tie up in the middle of downtown. Hull, which is a sister city across the river has a great Museum of Civilization with stunning native artifacts.

You'll love going through the seven locks to get to the Ottawa River.

Your Rideau comments bring back more warm memories of our trip.

Pat Clow
Meri Aura
gulfcoast john

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: cruise Reply with quote

Greetings from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, on the Rideau Canal!

Thanks, Pat for the Lachine Canal info… it prompted us to ask the locals, who verified that the alternative 3 St L Seaway locks will make recreational boaters wait up to 8 hours at each, and the Lachine canal would bypass two of those three if we can squeeze under the 8 ft hgt limit. They are NOT part of the Parks Canada historic canals system and the seasonal pass does not apply.

My Bob Austin Designs Inc. Home Depot Commode flange PVC pipe radar pedestal support is at 8 ft if we remove the radar dome. That’s only 4 bolts and 2 quick-disconnects. Then we could add 50 more gallons of gas (heck, it’s only $6.80 a gallon around here) and eat out at an Italian restaurant and sink the cockpit scuppers and get her half a fingernail under 8 ft air draft.

I would like to sit the radar dome behind the rooftop AC as a gag picture! Wouldn’t that be sweet on the Garmin tech blogs?

Ken, remove your dome and the radar arch is only another 2-4 bolts through the roof. If it saves you 16 hours waiting time on the St L Seaway it would be worth it!.

Some new pics on pages 12-13 of the album, including one of our TC255 consistently purring on one engine at 1600 RPM while making over 6 MPH burning 1.5 GPH with both engines down, one off. If I raise the inop engine, I can’t steer. The ‘off’ engine down seems to provide some proa-like stability.

Only my Port engine is ‘combined’ with the House battery when the House battery is switched to ‘combined’. That prevents the fridge from discharging the House battery too much while underway at these ‘no wake’ speeds. Credit goes to Discovery crew for describing this technique. We have also used it on the St John Manatee 6MPH zones with success.

However, if you own a TC255, this will not make you as happy as running this fine boat at 3500-4000 RPM on both engines.

Great trip, Canadians are friendly and super helpful to cruisers. Start your planning now!

Although we have found Verizon to provide the best overall coverage for boating and trailering in the US, it’s spotty at best in this part of Ontario. So forgive me if it takes a week or more to respond to PM’s or Replys.

Cheers!
John
gulfcoast john

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: cruise Reply with quote

Greetings from Montreal at the Old Port end of the Lachine Canal through Montreal!

New pics from the end of the Rideau Canal at the Flight of 8 staircase locks at Ottawa on page 13 of the album (we started at Kingston, Ontario). And some on the Lachine Canal.

We have been impressed with the close-quarters boat maneuvering skills of the avg local Canadian boater compared to Florida boaters (who have a vastly longer season to use their boats). Everyone here and throughout Ontario and Quebec is very welcoming and curious about how a Florida boat got to Montreal.

Locals told us that the alternative St L Seaway canal could have delays of 8 hours at each of two locks because big commercial ships have priority. Recreational vessels pay $30, the avg ship pays $77,000 per lock. There may be something to that old saying, “Money talks….and C-Dory owners don’t have that much.” The guidebooks mention commercial traffic has priority, but not that delays could get THAT bad.

So do whatever it takes to get your air draft under 8 feet and into the Lachine Canal through Montreal...remove radar, arches, etc. (And also the dog, in the unlikely event Mick Romney is reading this post).

We had an engine overheat alarm at one lock, though only 133 degrees at idle and 138 degrees is typical at cruise. 131 on the other. However, these engines have proven over time that they know more about themselves than I do, so we told the lockmaster we had to break out of the group (they like to keep boaters locking through in groups) to troubleshoot. The poor thing didn’t have its typical studly pee stream, only weak and intermittent. We found what looked like primordial slime and algae in the intake strainers. I hooked up the transom shower connector to our pocket hose and used the freshwater pump to flush the intakes for about 10 seconds, when the pump quit. A local boater pulled up and had a wire brush to attack the strainer grates, which got out a lot of sludge and re- established a healthy Yamaha pee stream. That night we removed 5,000# of stuff from the cabinets to access the freshwater pump, which lives at the bottom of the starboard sponson. I found the 12v + butt connector had separated...this will be easy!...NOT. replaced it and all fuses, no joy. Electrically dead. My bad knee was throbbing and I didn’t get around to checking the pump on a known good small 12v battery since Eileen insisted we could get by on gallon jugs of water for flushing and cleaning dishes.

My Nav display is going dead intermittently at the worst times. We can switch Eileen’s display from engine and depth data to Nav Chart, but it is harder for me to see. Troubleshooting to date not revealing of anything. I suspect the 12v power plug, but it’s a 90 degree plug on my unit so I can’t just switch them out. Helm fuse block connections are solid.

The most frustrating issue of this adventure has been my knee injury. I know enough to know it’s not serious, just obnoxious. But our plans to walk our daily 6 miles per day at each stop are stymied and a bit distressing. On the other hand, we should be grateful we could be seen at an Urgent Care clinic and get Xrays with no deductible or co-pay, and an Ortho referral for when we return to the US (probably this week in Plattsburg on Lake Champlain).

Tomorrow we may make over 80 miles cruising, which is easy in a 255 on a calm day.

Next year we plan on being at Bellingham and 6 weeks around the Puget Sound!

Safe travels, and hope to see you there!

John
gulfcoast john

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:57 pm    Post subject: triangle loop Reply with quote

Greetings from beautiful Lake Champlain!

We cruised from Montreal downstream (northeast) on the St Lawrence river to the Montello resort and marina. Transients enjoy all hotel amenities including a pool on the river and 5 star manicured grounds, great food. From there to the Sorel entrance to the Richelieu river there’s not much to see and a lot of ocean going giant ships, total 45 miles. Could be rough if windy. Just stay completely out of the charted shipping channels, easy for a C-Dory.

Sorel is an old industrial city with no great stops. The cute and tiny Chambly canal bypasses some of the Richelieu and uses the original barge tow-path as a bike trail. The Richelieu empties into the northern part of Lake Champlain.

The tiny US Customs dock and un-marked low-bid trailer is just north of the bridge, not south of it like the guides have it by milage past the border, which is not marked except on your chart. If you pass it, they will signal with 3 short horn blasts repeated 3 times. This is the universal nautical signal that ‘You can get a Sno-Cone here.” And they have flashing LED lights on the trailer, which confirms that “you can get a Sno-cone here, just like at your home city.” Don’t expect any VHF call, even if you have figured out to change your VHF radio back to US from Canada frequencies. This procedure is different for every radio, even within the same brand. For my handheld, you merely hold down the ‘16/9’ button while pressing the ‘WX/End’ button to toggle between CAN USA INTL choices. Intuitively obvious at 25 MPH, Eh? Do NOT idle toward the ‘US CUSTOMS’ sign at the first marina just south of the bridge, or you will be wondering why a Sno-Cone trailer looks so much more low-bid than the ones at home. There IS a US Customs sign on the trailer on the US side, but of course one does not stop at Customs when leaving a country, only when entering one.

You all should be proud of me for biting my tongue and not suggesting to the officers that their trailer be turned 180 degrees so it had a sign that re-entering US citizens might possibly see with a very good pair of stabilized binoculars and some luck.

Now you can avoid this sad border adventure. At least we’re not in handcuffs.

You’re welcome.

Lake Champlain is gorgeous with clear water and mountains all around. Treadwell Bay marina north of Plattsburg is the most well-protected from all winds. We rented a car a few days for provisions, Wall-Mart supercenter, farmer’s market and arranging an appointment for my Orthopedic referral, but the next appt is in November. Lucky for me, I have gone from hobbling around slowly with a cane to hobbling around slowly without a cane. Some mornings I can put on my sock and shoe, some not. We’re both glad we didn’t abort this adventure yet so far. If only Wal-Mart carried bigger needles I could look up where to insert it in my knee and...well, Bob would not advise that so I won’t do it.

The guidebooks are right that you should visit the Inland Sea of Lake Champlain, a 25 mile long (n-s) landlocked section on the Vermont side. Burton Island State Park has a marina and day-use $8 docking in a beautiful setting of blue water and green mountains. You could spend weeks gunkholing in the Inland Sea while avoiding the Trailer Trash Loopers like us.

Burlington, VT on the East side is a nice day or two visit. Cute and touristy in the nice way.

Today Lake Champlain was a bit sloppy, with whitecaps everywhere with a 15 MPH NE tailwind, but we glided over the slop at 23 MPH burning 13GPH combined or 2MPG combined in safety and comfort 53 miles in a couple of hours to the south end of the lake at protected Lake Champlain Bridge marina. In a 22 it may have been a no-go day except for the most determined.

Although I am on record here re the disadvantages of the TC255 (extra expense, wgt, complexity, towing expense, 2MPG combined mileage, ¾ ton diesel 4wd tow truck, etc), we have had several days on this adventure where we were very glad to be on this 255 and not a smaller C-Dory. Eats typical chop without a drop on the windshield.

Colby has an equally compelling and eloquent argument in favor of the 22, and you should hear him if you’re looking for the perfect boat.

We both found one, isn’t that neat?

Cheers! Again, any C-Dory with enough time to wait out weather (ie retired) can do the Triangle Loop safely and securely.

John
hank clow

City/Region: L'Anse
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Meri Aura
Photos: Meri Aura
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a slight possibility that you'll meet 3 C-dorys on the Erie Canal. C-Otter, Tully B and Mystery Girl will be launching near Syracuse on August 29. Not sure of their itinerary.

Your adventures bring back fond memories of our trip in 2012. So glad you followed up on the Lachine. One thing you missed was Cirque de Solel in Montreal. They were located within a short walk of the marina when we were there, but have since moved to Vegas.

Pat Clow
Meri Aura
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Colby has an equally compelling and eloquent argument in favor of the 22, and you should hear him if you’re looking for the perfect boat.

Well, you already made my argument. lol

Quote:
Although I am on record here re the disadvantages of the TC255 (extra expense, wgt, complexity, towing expense, 2MPG combined mileage, ¾ ton diesel 4wd tow truck, etc)

However, this would definitely be an advantage in salt water!:

Quote:
Eats typical chop without a drop on the windshield

But in the end:
Quote:
We both found one, isn’t that neat?

Personally, if it's a C-Dory, it's the right one. Very Happy [/quote]
gulfcoast john

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: Champlain Canal Greetings from the southern terminus of the Reply with quote

Greetings from the southern terminus of the beautiful Champlain Canal at Waterford, NY (the oldest incorporated village in the US).

We found the Champlain canal to be the overall least developed of all and liked it best, although the water is opaque and not the clear down to 10 feet like the lake. The lower portion is the upper Hudson River and quite serene and bucolic. We’re docked at the free town wall (free dockage, power, water, showers, restrooms…get a key with a $10 deposit), $2 pumpout. $25C was the max pumpout we paid, free the least. The vast majority of restrooms have signs prohibiting emptying your pee buckets for you Airheads. So there.

At Waterford one can continue south on the Hudson river to New Yawk, or turn west into the Erie canal 360 miles to the west end at Tonawonda. There is huge blue sign with arrows. Tomorrow we start on the Erie canal. The first lock on the Erie canal is Lock 2, because there is no lock 1 (don’t ask). Many of the towns along the canals have ‘town walls’ with free docking and free restrooms. Free power and showers and wi-fi is less common but can be researched in the guidebooks. On weekends in July and first half of Aug you better have your spot on the wall before noon or they may be gone. Marinas with all that average $1.75 to $2.25 a foot per night and seldom require reservations (Montebello in Quebec always does).

We’ve decided to bail out at mile 160 on the middle of the Erie canal, where we started and left the rig over a month ago. I have an Orthopedic appointment back in Pensacola instead of trailering over to the Alton Gathering. This kind of adventure should not be rushed, and we’re not. New pics in the album. The 160 miles of the eastern Erie canal will be our last segment…report and pics to follow. Safe travels to all of you and us too.

John
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
$2 pumpout. $25C was the max pumpout we paid, free the least. The vast majority of restrooms have signs prohibiting emptying your pee buckets for you Airheads.

So where does one dump a porta potty? Ok, may not matter as I believe you were in Canada, Ontario to be more precise, and they supposedly do not allow PP's! I'll have to pick your brain on the Erie Canal next March at Hontoon! Colby
gulfcoast john

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Nav Aid TriviaNa Reply with quote

Nav Aid Trivia:

What is incorrect regarding the nav aids in this picture? (#P1010528, last pic on the last page of album just in case this doesn't work).

Red on Right Returning to sea. This shot is looking East from the Waterford town dock at the start of the Erie canal running West and the Champlain canal to the left and Hudson river to the right running to the Atlantic.

All that is said just to lead you off track.

[img]drat keep losing wi fi!

John
gulfcoast john

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject: canal cruise Reply with quote

Colby:

Porti-potties are legal in the US and Canada as Marine Sanitation Devices.

Instead of dumping its contents in the restroom toilet, they expect you to use the pumpout and pay the fee, if any.

But hey, look at the bright side! For only $25 you can get your Porta Potty emptied at Montebello! And, it would only take about 3 seconds, plus or minus 2 seconds. No prob, man, you will be full up legal legit. Just show your receipts to The Authorities (remember, they carry billy clubs and know how to use them).

I expect you to get the above Nav Aid Trivia correct, so start working on it now, Brother!

Great Expectations!
John
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some trivia. Lock 1 is on the Hudson River, south of where the Eire Canal branches.

Boris
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I expect you to get the above Nav Aid Trivia correct, so start working on it now, Brother!

Should have come to this thread first before reading my inbox. So just ignore my two PM replies to you. Now I'll go look at your picture and see if I can make up an answer. lol Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: