The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

posted in the wrong place

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbfconstruction

City/Region: huntington beach
State or Province: CA
Photos: Angler Management
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: posted in the wrong place Reply with quote

sorry, my transducer question went to boats for sale. How do I move it?

Richard
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
New postPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:28 am Post subject: Transducer cable Reply with quote
Hi, I just purchased a new gps/fish finder with a transom mount transducer. My old one sat inside the boat (loose) in the bilge well (stern) and worked great. I just wanted to upgrade. My question is this... How do I get the cable to run along the starboard side (inside)? I am afraid of hitting other obstacles and don't want to drill many holes. I am considering exterior mounting. Any advice?
While I got ya, Sounds like 1/4 to 1/2 inch below the lowest bottom point is the censes here. correct?
19 ft.angler

The cable should easily be passed thru the same hole in the splash well, or into the Starboard Lazarette area, and then run with the control and steering cables up under the gunnel to the helm console. Hold it in place with electrical 'Zip' ties.

I like to mount a piece of Starboard on the transom, and then screw the transducer into that starboard. No more holes in the transom. There are proprietary "transom savers" which glue on, or just make your own. I use 3/4" Starboard, cut a number of slits at 45* on the boat side of the Starboard, and then use G Flex epoxy to an area which has been sanded and cleaned down to the gel coat. I usually put in one screw, set into an epoxy plug.

This way you can move the transducer, or replace it, without more holes in the transom.

How to get the cable thru the transom: I have used a "Cable Clam" which gives a water tight passage (but needs epoxy potting of the actual hole in the transom; take the cable over the top of the transom, or run the cable thru the drain for the splash well--since you never put a plug in it anyway. I have used all three at one time or another.

I like to have the transducer just barely below the hull--usually 1/8" is OK.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
rbfconstruction

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: posted in the wrong place Reply with quote

Thanks Bob, I just don't see how to fish it inside (along the steering cables) I will see if I can run a fish tape through the battery box?
Richard
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a standard fish tape works well. I always leave an 1/8" "Pull string" in place all of the way from the console to the battery area--you can thread it in segments.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: posted in the wrong place Reply with quote

rbfconstruction wrote:
sorry, my transducer question went to boats for sale. How do I move it?

Richard

Not a problem. We are not real persnickety about decorum on the forum.

I moved your original post to the Electronics forum but it looks like Dr. Bob has you on the right track already.

Carry on, and good luck with your project.

rbfconstruction

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: posted in the wrong place Reply with quote

Thanks Bob, I just don't see how to fish it inside (along the steering cables) I will see if I can run a fish tape through the battery box?
Richard
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard,
The access this area varies by boat. My 25, has a 6" inspection plate cut just below the contols (and of course the galley is open). Then behind the head, to three the fuel fill on the 25 (just aft the back bulkhead), and then behind the cockpit combing to the area which you are calling the battery box.

If you can keep the tape on top off the cables all of the way, it should go right on up forward. It is possible you may have to put an inspection port in along the way. If you have a borescope type of video device, often you can look from the front or back, to see if there are going to be any obstructions.

All of the wiring, and the cables, for steering and engine controls go thru this--so there is plenty of room.
rbfconstruction

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: posted in wrong place Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I got lucky and was able to fish it through with the old cable. My gunnel is enclosed and seams to have a lot of stuff in it. I definitely did not want to try to take the boat apart as it seams all the stuff was placed and then they riveted the wall to the top. Anyways, Thanks again. I am very anxious to try the new set up.

Richard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: