The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Planing at lower speed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kingmann

City/Region: Kettle Falls
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Eva
Photos: Eva
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject: Planing at lower speed Reply with quote

I have a 22’ cd with a 90 hp Honda. I installed a hydrofoil on my shaft that only seem to add drag as it never rides on the water surface as I would think. The boat seems too stern heavy and when I have full fuel tanks it is worse. I would like to be able to plane at a lower speed, 10-12 mph. Any input welcome.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the boat is on a full plane, the Permatrim. (You did put a Permatrim on?) should ride just on the surface of the water. If not, then move the engine up a hole to see if you can achieve this. Also the trim tab (you do have trim tabs also?) can and should be used to get the boat on a plane. 9 to 10 mph is marginal for a full plane for my current 25--once you are at 14 mph definitely on a full plane, despite a very heavy boat. (Although the 25's 100 gallon fuel tank is under the cockpit floor, the water or holding tank, (depending on year) is all of the way aft.

To get on a low speed plane, trim tabs need to be down, and the bow trimmed down with the engine also--once on the plane, then you can slowly bring up the engine--so the Permatrim is parallel to the surface of the water...

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Planing at lower speed Reply with quote

Kingmann wrote:
I have a 22’ cd with a 90 hp Honda. I installed a hydrofoil on my shaft that only seem to add drag as it never rides on the water surface as I would think. The boat seems too stern heavy and when I have full fuel tanks it is worse. I would like to be able to plane at a lower speed, 10-12 mph. Any input welcome.

As Bob said, yuou are pushing the lower limits of planing speed. It would be helpful to know what else is on board, besides the full fuel tanks. What is affecting the trim? Bow weight, (anchor, chain, V-Birth load)? How about mobile ballast, ( passengers, food or camp gear) and overhead weight, Radar rack, kayak or inflatables) ?

You said you added a "Hydrofoil" Some are more effective than others. As Bob asks, is it a "Permatrim", (a specific brand that has been the most functional on the C-Dory boats)?

Just looking for more info to maybe be more helpful.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beyond what has already been suggested & if you are currently properly pitched for rpm at WOT, I suggest switching to a 4 blade prop 1 to 2 pitch lower then your present prop. A four blade prop should help raise the stern & be more efficient at lower speeds. I’m going to Honda BF 60 twins & they will have permatrims & 4 blade props. The combination will likely slow my top end speed, but that is no concern with 120 hp. With the less slip in a four blade it should lower my mid to lower range rpm compared to a three blade & help compensate for the added 50 lbs total weight of the Honda 60’s compared to my present Honda 40’s. From my research the benefit of the three blade prop over the four comes with being more efficient at high speed. The CD22 & CD 25 rarely run at a speed where this is beneficial. The four blade prop even through usually a smaller diameter has more blade surface area for water contact, so improves low speed handling such as while docking & helps raise the stern while getting more bite when going to a plane. Also the four blade prop at low to mid speed will likely increase all performance including milage if properly pitched.

Jay

Kingmann

City/Region: Kettle Falls
Vessel Name: Eva
Photos: Eva
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject: Planning at lower speeds Reply with quote

Thank you thataway, sleepyc and hunkydory. I am now shopping for the Permatrim and will consider the four blade prop. For a inexperienced boater c-brats is my go to source for input.
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used one of these on my 115hp Hewescraft and it really increased all-around performance. Can't really remember low-speed planning but they claim it helps for that. https://www.amazon.com/Marine-Sport-Hydrofoil-300-SE/dp/B003L8QS36/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3OK4ONDPBZPJS&keywords=se+sport+300+hydrofoil&qid=1563467375&s=gateway&sprefix=300+hydr%2Caps%2C223&sr=8-1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: