View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject: Cooler Storage on the Roof Reply with quote

Any tips for putting big fish coolers on the roof? I'm thinking of putting a little padding and then tieing both handles down. Hope to catch our limit this weekend off Bamfield on Vancouver Island.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the early modern 25's had a fairly thin laminate on the middle section --my 2003, flexed with my weight standing on it. My 2007 does not, and seems substantial. Air conditioners weight 90# (I will probably re-inforce and level the top, but should be able to handle the weight.

Some have made racks, which distribute the weight to the hand rails, for heavy loads. There will be some minor handling differences with 100 plus lbs up there, with slight change of center of gravity.

I would put a light weight back packing foam pad--such as we get at WallMart for $5. under the cooler.

Most keep the coolers in the cockpit or fashion a rack over the splash well for a cooler.

Lashing the handles to the hand rails would be the normal point to secure. I would have one forward and one aft (being the uprights of the railing) to keep the cooler from sliding.

What weight do you aticipate? Some coolers full of fish can weigh in the 400# category--and that would make a difference as to where to put it.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
...What weight do you aticipate? Some coolers full of fish can weigh in the 400# category--and that would make a difference as to where to put it.

You'd have to have some method of getting a heavy cooler like that on the roof in the first place.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this what you expect to be carrying in terms of weight, plus ice?

(From your album.)

"First Fish on the boat 49,33 and 15" lbs

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
kaelc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we only managed one small halibut a "chicken" as we called it but 15 springs and coho and a couple rockfish. Cooler went on the roof nicely empty, put on from the dock it was pretty easy and second cooler went into the cockpit filled with ice and was replaced by fish as fast as it melted but was a pain to dance around. Didn't touch the second big cooler on the roof. Still debating throwing roof racks on, but between the dingy and solar plans, it is tough to decide what to do on so versatile a boat.
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaelc wrote:
Well, we only managed one small halibut a "chicken" as we called it but 15 springs and coho and a couple rockfish. Cooler went on the roof nicely empty, put on from the dock it was pretty easy and second cooler went into the cockpit filled with ice and was replaced by fish as fast as it melted but was a pain to dance around. Didn't touch the second big cooler on the roof. Still debating throwing roof racks on, but between the dingy and solar plans, it is tough to decide what to do on so versatile a boat.

Sounds like you need to build a rack up over the engine splash well to get the cooler up off the floor and keep it off the roof as well. This also makes it conveniently accessible. I did this and found it worked great! Only big drawback is the extra weight near the transom, but, as you'll remember, everything on a boat is the result of a whole bunch of compromises. Is there anything inside the cabin you could move forward a bit to balance things out?

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
kaelc

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:

Sounds like you need to build a rack up over the engine splash well to get the cooler up off the floor and keep it off the roof as well. This also makes it conveniently accessible. I did this and found it worked great! Only big drawback is the extra weight near the transom, but, as you'll remember, everything on a boat is the result of a whole bunch of compromises. Is there anything inside the cabin you could move forward a bit to balance things out?

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Yeah I think we may need to. I think there a build thread and pictures that I have seen of this but I can't seem to find it? I browsed a few dozen pictures of yours as well.
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaelc-

Most cooler racks are made from stainless pipe life rail fittings, which adapt well to the task, but there are a great variety of materials used and designs constructed.

You can see the one I did below, then click below it for further views, and, hopefully, some other C-Brats will also offer references to theirs.

Good Luck! Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

More photos:

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=SeaWolf&id=IM003306&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On SleepyC we have availability of 2 coolers, on fits on behind (aft) of the bar and hangs over the splash well and then one that hangs forward of the bar over the aft part of the cockpit, but not on the sole.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

kaelc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:
kaelc-

Good Luck! Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

More photos:

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=SeaWolf&id=IM003306&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Thanks Joe and Harvey. Really appreciate the shares. Planning to get the boat to Mayne Island to stay at a friends cabin but may take the Ferry due to logitics and weather Sad. Thanks again
bridma

City/Region: Comox
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go fishing with me. You won't catch diddly squat and a cooler doesn't enter the equation!

Martin.
kaelc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bridma wrote:
Go fishing with me. You won't catch diddly squat and a cooler doesn't enter the equation! Martin.

There is some great fishing off Kitty Colman beach at the Hump and the Denman Hornby area and you are not far from Browns Bay and so much closer to Nootka and the North Island! My brother and his friends have always done amazing. They even went and got 104 Tuna a couple of weeks ago.

Would love to go fishing with you but I don't know all the techniques for the area. I grew up in Courtenay/Comox but didn't get serious into fishing til I moved to Victoria. Winter springs are supposed to be on Plugs trolling fast if I remember correctly!
gastone

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pic!
Teufelshunde

City/Region: Sebastopol
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Fish Wisher
Photos: Fishwisher
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased an Elkton Outdoors Insulated Fish Cooler Bag (kill bag) on Amazon for $109 for the 40 inch they also make a 60 inch bag for $139.
I’m going to hang it most likely under the rail out of the way so there is no need for a bulky cooler taking up deck space. Once installed I’ll post a picture.

kaelc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teufelshunde wrote:
I purchased an Elkton Outdoors Insulated Fish Cooler Bag (kill bag) on Amazon for $109 for the 40 inch they also make a 60 inch bag for $139.
I’m going to hang it most likely under the rail out of the way so there is no need for a bulky cooler taking up deck space. Once installed I’ll post a picture.

Thanks! Would love a review!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: