View previous topic :: View next topic  
CC Rider

City/Region: Tsawwassen
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: CC Rider
Photos: CC Rider
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject: Boston harbor lightning strike video Reply with quote

All I can say is WOW!

Shocked

https://abcnews.go.com/US/video/lightning-strikes-sailboat-boston-harbor-64184494

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome and frightening. Lighting can do a lot of damage to a boat...

Too bad there is not a slow motion video, and also with a neutral density filter so one could see exactly where the lobe went. (Asking too much--and the next question is did the thru hulls blow out?). I am sure there was massive damage below--and to the rig.

The strikes can come from the sky, or near by hits and then travel thru the water.

When we were cruising Maine in 1983, there was a lighting strike on a wooden boat yard in SW Harbor. There were a number of classic boats burned and destroyed in the fire.

One of my boats had 3 strikes after I sold it. One was thru the water while the boat was still at my dock.--after a near by boat was hit on its radio antenna. The primary damage to the boat was a blown diode on the alternator. However that allowed the battery charger to run 30 amps continuously into the ground system, and ate up the prop, shaft, rudder tube, and some thru hulls in less than 2 weeks.

I had a grounded ham tower 65' high about 200 feet from the boat that was hit. The boat I had sold had a 60 foot mast, and the strike didn't hit it that time--but 2x in the future it was stuck on the mast head. In that case, all rigging and chain plates had to be replaced, as well as most of the wiring in the boat. I heard the insurance claim was more than $60,000 for each of the strikes. When I owned the boat, it had a state of the art (?), fuzzy dissipator above the mast head. That was bolted to the masthead. There was a 3/4" copper tubing directly from the bottom of the mast, about 2 feet to a 2 sq foot copper plate on the side of the keel (the mast stepped on a 12" long aluminum weldment which spanned 4 fiberglass frames/web--and was grounded to the rest of the boat....

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY CRAZY DAY. Im a full time liveaboard in Boston and the storm rolled in quick.....and then was gone in a flash. Literally. An hour later and boats were partying again. You're not gonna stop Boston on the 4th weekend. Ain't happening. Lol

Very scary though. On guard. At all times.....

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: