Dubuque chad

City/Region: Dubuque
State or Province: IA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Laura J
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Ready Reply with quote

Hello-

I've been a fan of the c-dory for years and have been looking for the time to buy, and now is the time. My son is ten and I am 50, the c-dory promises a lot of adventure. I plan on having this boat in my slip by this spring. The goal is traveling the Mississippi, possibly the canal up to Chicago, Lake Michigan, trailer in up to Minnesota. I believe the 22 cruiser is right for me. The first question I have is; what do I need to know about saltwater Dorys? I have only owned freshwater boats and motors, should I limit my search to freshwater boats only, or can there be crossover.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard.

Some folks like to have a boat which has only been in fresh water, in that there may be less corrosion. If the boat has been well maintained, the engine flushed after each salt water use, and proper maintenance, I would not be afraid or put off by a salt water boat.

We live on a fresh water bayou, connected to a brackish bay, and about 14 miles to the pass to the Gulf of Mexico. The boat and motor is washed on the way home.

Boats do come up in your area on a regular basis. Boats in the Pacific North West tend to sell more rapidly. Nothing wrong with buying a boat at some distance--I have purchased every one of my C Dorys (except the new Tom Cat 255) at least 1000 miles from "home". There are a number of C Dory owners who are not too far from Dubuque. Perhaps you could get a ride, or take a look at their boat.

3 years ago we did the Mississippi from the navigation head of the St. Croix (great area) down to Dubuque--and really enjoyed it. You have some great cruising grounds there! One of the beauties is that you can trailer the boat where you want--and then boat in that area--rent a car for a day, and retieve your rig, to pull the boat out at the terminal destination. Also the C Dory makes a great camper on the way to destinations. We have stayed at RV Parks, State Parks, Walmarts, road side rest stops, and truck stops, as well as an occasional marina parking lot.

You might want to ask the moderator (TyBoo or DaNag) to remove one of the duplicate posts.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Dubuque chad

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, how do I go about that request?
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I locked the first one for you instead of deleting it since it had a couple replies from helpful folks. I have this aversion to deleting things.

It will disappear from view very soon, but here is a link to it in case you want to reminisce some day after you have found the perfect boat. I think you have already started looking for the perfect brand of boat.

Welcome to our little hole in the web, and thanks for looking us up!

Dubuque chad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. For some reason I can't access this site from my IPhone, let me know if you know anything about that. I am looking forward to looking. I'm hoping to make some friends and find that boat that works for my family. thanks for the warm welcome.
Blue Rose

City/Region: Montgomery
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue Rose
Photos: Blue Rose
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C Dorys are simple boats. Picking the right one for your purpose should be easy but its not. We found out that researching online is helpful but we still had way more questions than answers. We are really glad that we went to a CBGT before we bought our boat in 2012. We spent 2 days climbing all over the boats and asking our questions. We found out that CBrats love to share their wisdom about C Dorys and are the nicest and most welcoming people we've ever met. The Mississippi CBGT happens September. We are looking forward to being there again this year.

Jim and Jeanine

thataway

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least come over to Alton Il for one day. Stay in a nearby hotel, or campground, and most likely. you will get a ride on a 22 or 25, as well as see most of the different models. If you can only come for a day--still a lot to be learned.

If you buy a C dory before then--its a great gathering, and we trailer up from Pensacola (2 day drive).
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you didn't realize most boats used in salt water are worth
less at resale by about 15% compared to the same in fresh water
only. Maybe no big deal but maybe so as mentioned.

Also, there is no "perfect boat."

Aye.

First Draft

City/Region: Wilson
State or Province: NC
Photos: First Draft
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When/where is the next CDGT closest to North Carolina?
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Draft wrote:
When/where is the next CDGT closest to North Carolina?

Cant really help with the time, date and place you are asking about but the locals here call the get togethers C-BGT's or CBGT, for "C-Brat Get Together" and they are a great way to get to know the boats, the folks and the areas.

There are a couple listed on the "Home Page". These are shown on the center column of the home page. Click there and follow for the appropriate information.

Quote:
Announcement: 08/16 - 08/18 - Bellingham 2019
Announcement: 09/05 - 09/08 - 2019 Mississippi River Gathering

Hope that helps some.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Dubuque chad

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks blue rose. There was a gathering in Dubuque about 4 years ago and my wife and I went down and checked it out. That’s when I put the bug in her ear. We are both approaching our 50s and would like to sail when retired, but I like any kind of water so I thought this would be a good way to get us accoustomed. The 25s are great, but they are often out of our price range.
I often see older dorys, what are the up and down side to a dory say older than 1993?
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I often see older dorys, what are the up and down side to a dory say older than 1993?

Prior to 1987, the hulls were made with plywood core, and had a flat bottom in a semi dory pattern--often akin to a "flat iron"--the boats could be more susceptible to pounding. these early boats were mostly anglers, They did not have the large spashwell, with lazarettos and fuel tanks were often smaller with less. They had less cruising accomidations--but many have cruised.

From 1987 on the hulls have been basically unchanged. The majority of the boats have been "cruisers", with the small galley, and a dinette. Some had a home or factory built sliding front dinette seat which would allow the "navigator or Admiral" to sit forward. My wife has always enjoyed sitting in the back seat, using the table to put her book or binoculars etc on. The ride is better aft there too.

Teak hand rails, A teak patterned melamine type of coating on the plywood, rather than white coated ply was in the cabins up until the mid 90's. The aft bulkhead was often this same teak patterned material. I have owned both, and like the most modern all fiberglass interior the best. Few early boats had hydraulic steering, The engines tended to be smaller 2 strokes--when worn out many went to 90 4 stroke. The location of the bilge pump;;pumps. has changed from rear front of the cockpit to under the cabin steps, forward of the aft bulkhead. (I prefer the latter and addition of a sump and pump all of the way aft.

The quality and condition of the glass work in the hulls is consistently good. An older boat stored outside without cover, is going to be less desirable, but can always be buffed out or painted.

You may find a 1988 boat in near perfect condition--more auto type of upholstery, instead of sunbrella--but the hull may be as good as a 2013 boat...

Don't be afraid to travel to find a boat. it will be rare what you want is available. When you see a good buy jump on it. I haver bought several boats after the price was dramatically cut--an jumped in with a offer immediately, with an offer to wire a deposit that day, pending sea trial and survey. I have never been surprised...(although I did buy one damaged boat, it was with fairly good understanding of what repairs were necessary.)
Dubuque chad

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. The idea of travling to check out a boat is appealing to both my wife and I. It’s the second time I’ve heard that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: