Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right about sunbrella not letting in light. We only put up our reflective white covered curtains on the sun side so we can leave the shaded windows open. I really like the idea of a sunbrella tarp stretched between the brow and the front pulpit to shade the front deck. We will set one up before we go back down to Baja this winter.
1978 Folkes 38 SV Audacious (2006-2015)
Micah, KJ6GUF, Dana, KJ6GXG
First Draft

City/Region: Wilson
State or Province: NC
Photos: First Draft
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
On the 22's we have put the generator on the swim step--on top of a plastic "milk" crate--both the crate and generator strapped with Bungee cords. On our 25, I have mounted it above the splash well, with generator exhaust pointed aft. It is on 3/4" thick Starboard, mounded on neoprene mounts, with bolts going directly into the generator. The Starboard is mounted with another piece of Starboard on a 1" SS tubing which goes across the splash well. The tubing, also keeps 2 gallon spare gas cans in place. The generator is " theft proof", since the starboard is bolted down at its forward edge. I also have a vinyl "Shelter Rite" cover for it.

Bob, do you have a photo of the setups you are describing?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am including a photo of the cover for the foredeck which came with the boat--it is a white sunbrella. We made a second one out of Shelter Rite, which is a PVC with Scrim, very similar to what the tubes of inflatables are made of. It is larger and totally water resistant. This photo shows the cover on the boat before we bought it, and is in the upper position. The lower position goes to the eye bolts by the base of the bow pulpit and bow cleat. Our cover goes slightly further forward, out to the sides and down on the sides to give better protection if there is driving rain.

Here is a plastic crate I put on the Swim Step of the 25 just for illustration: The Honda EU 1000 would go on top of this, with a bungee cored thru the handle, over the generator, and into the sides of the crate. The crate would be lashed to the swim step, so it could not slip off. This gets the exhaust up and away from the boat.

Here is the Honda EU 2200 I (under cover):

And another from a lower angle--I see that the heat during our absence warped the Starboard. I'll bolt a stongback of 3/4" Starboard or PVC lumber to straighter this out. No functional negative however. The uprights are notched on the mating surface with a Fein Saw under cuts, same on the top material, held together with G Flex epoxy and 2" flat head SS screws into the black Starboard.
The cable leading off the generator is one of the "kryptonite" locks, just as a security back up...

We are currently under our first tropical storm of the season--with some heavy thundershowers, so I didn't take the slant back off, nor the cover of the Honda. The exhaust points aft, Start and controls are on the Starboard side of the generator. I made a power cord, which is just the length from the generator to the 30 amp input of the boat's 110 V electrical system out of #12 gauge wire.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob for the photo of the forward "tarp", I am going to add handles on top of the brow and can add loops to the through bolts underneath to tie it to.
We have 220 watts of flexible solar on the cabin top and I have another 150 to extend back from the arch as needed, hopefully that will work to maintain the charge on the 31s to run the boat without having to use our Honda 2000. We removed the mermaid ac that came with the boat as we usually leave Mexico by late April. We mostly are running our new more efficient fridge and a small Engel freezer. We are almost always anchored out. We decided to install a small Spectra Ventura watermaker as we no longer want to lug water or have the increased weight of another storage tank, 1 hour a day running at anchor should fufill our old school needs.
Thanks again.
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In heat, the antidote to froth is calm. Getting worked up
simply adds heat.

Let me repeat: A couple ice cubes in a wash cloth
on your forehead will make you a Believer.

Boaters who cannot stand (temporary) heat reminds me
of campers who cannot stand bugs.

Sea water temps rarely exceed 80+ *F or so. W coast a bit
cooler than E coast, on average. Normal body temp is less
than 90*F. Do the math. Take a plunge and cool down.

Aye.

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess location plays a part. Last I checked, the typical body temp of humans is still 98.6º. Here in the Tropical Tip, our current water temp is 85.1º (according to NOAA); our outside air temp is 88º and the relative humidity is 76%, making for a "feels like" temperature of "the Gates of Hell." A couple ice cubes in a wash cloth would last a moment or two and the wet wash cloth would just add to the humidity. Twisted Evil On the bright side, the wind is out of the south at 15 to 20 mph, with a hot breeze.

Yes, it is cooler on the water... more like 3 or 4 feet just outside the Gates of Hell. I love this area, but we generally get out of here during the summer. I'm looking forward to a change of latitude and elevation. We'll be in the motorhome; some call that "camping"... I don't want bugs in my motorhome.

For now, I get outside to exercise early morning and around sunset. We typically have an 8º temperature swing from daytime high to nighttime low. It was 83º when I got up this morning at 6:30. In the words of the philosophers The Beatles: nothing to get worked up about. Air conditioning is your friend.

Stay cool.
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We never considered air conditioning on our sail boats--always was a breeze--Several tall wind scoops--out of light weight Dacron, with SS hoops, pulled up the rig a few feet ensured a breeze...one exception was a few windlass nights in Panama, where we had temps of over 100* at night--an all night bar with some air conditioning--resolved that issue--and we got underway the next day...

Incidentally one of the "water makers" we saw at bar on an Island just off David--was a Sears Dehumidifier--seemed to make a few quarts of pure water an hour...

Back on the subject of air conditioning--I noted that our local WalMart has the "Arctic King" 5,000 BTU air conditioners for $136.99 (15 years ago they were $99)

The Shelter Rite fabric is a great alternative to Sunbrella when you want something purely water proof. It is very strong, and instead of sewing, just glue with HH66 Vinyl cement.
four 4.25" diameter D ring patches for $13.
I used some small snap shackles for hooking into the eye bolts:

Here is a photo of the patch and snap shackle --some of the Dacron cordage used to tie off the forward end of the fore deck rain fly. These snap shackles will tighten up as they are fastened, and will release under load, as a pelican hook will.

Foggy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foggy wrote:
simply adds heat.

Aye.

Typo on body heat: ...less than 99*F.
Accuracy suffers when in a hurry.

Aye.
Grandma used to say, "Slow down to cool down."
First Draft

City/Region: Wilson
State or Province: NC
Photos: First Draft
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foggy wrote:
simply adds heat.

Aye.

Foggy, I see your home port listed as being in Michigan, so maybe you don't appreciate the oppressive heat and humidity that we suffer along the southeastern U.S. coast during the summer. Fact is, you can't take off enough clothes to stay cool this time of year.
I was raised on an eastern N.C. tobacco farm, working during the summers in the fields and barns in stifling heat. All I've got to say is "Thank God for allowing mankind to invent air conditioning!" And automatic transmissions....and elevators.
Foggy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A/C was invented early in 1900s and not available as residential window units
for about 1/4 century later.

How did people tolerate life w/o this recent energy hungry invention?
Many live and have lived in tropics for generations...

So, sure A/C can make one feel better. What happens without power?
It happens. Review "Murphy's Law".

Aye.
Grandma used to say, "No matter what, no sniveling."
BillE

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: BillE
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About body temperature, while we are indeed 98.6 on the inside we are closer to 86 at the skin, and being immersed in any water cooler than that will have some cooling effect on the body.
Foggy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Draft wrote:

Foggy, I see your home port listed as being in Michigan, so maybe you don't appreciate the oppressive heat and humidity that we suffer along the southeastern U.S. coast during the summer. Fact is, you can't take off enough clothes to stay cool this time of year.
I was raised on an eastern N.C. tobacco farm, working during the summers in the fields and barns in stifling heat. All I've got to say is "Thank God for allowing mankind to invent air conditioning!" And automatic transmissions....and elevators.

Sir, in fact, I have been in hot water exactly for
taking off too many clothes...

Aye.
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillE wrote:
About body temperature, while we are indeed 98.6 on the inside we are closer to 86 at the skin, and being immersed in any water cooler than that will have some cooling effect on the body.

Yes and no...The skin temperature can change with vasoconstriction and vasodilation. For example highly vascular areas, and places where the venous and arterial circulation is near the skin, the temperature may be higher than the "Core" temperature. Some people's core temp is lower and some higher than the average of "98.6* F.

My naturally heated swimming pool is at 90*--feels good when you get in--not cold or hot...but as soon as you get out, evaporative cooling takes over from the excess moisture on the skin.
Foggy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you're hot, you're hot. When you're not...

So how hot is too hot? *

Mild heat illness can begin with a temp of 101*F and is
usually auto compensated by sweating and vasodilation.
This with oral cold fluids and antipyretics can help prevent
heat cramps.

More severe heat illness might progress to heat exhaustion
then heat stroke; the latter an emergency and deadly.
Signs include dizziness, thirst, cold clammy pale skin
progressing to hot dry skin with changes in behavior.

When body temperature raises above 106*F and is accompanied
by decreased mental status, low blood pressure and rapid heart
rate, that's too hot (heat stroke).

Geriatrics (know any?) with medical conditions, young kids are
very susceptible to heat illness in very hot weather.

Take care out there. We're having a hot one now (94*F).
So stay cool.

* (EMT, retired and glad to be)

Aye.
Snider

City/Region: Charleston
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kestrel Dawn
Photos: Kestrel Dawn
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Fan Reply with quote

Bob,
My Camframo maestro fan came today. I bought one to mount and check out before getting a couple more. What is the round white plastic cylinder with metal on the inside that the cord goes through? It doesn't mention what its for in the instructions.
Brandon

thataway wrote:
My current 25 has wood strips affixed to the area above side and aft windows, The curtain material is slid into a track and when rolled up is head by small diameter shock cord, looped over a round head screw. The forward curtains have shock cord around the periphery, and go around "buttons" screwed to the window Frame All of my other C Dory have had the snap on Sunbrella curtains. remove one of the frame screws in the corners, and put a Male snap in its place. The threads are close enough.

Screens. Current boat has shock cord around periphery. I have used army surplus No see em net and hot glued velcro to the edges. The mating velcro is contact cemented to the window or hatch frame.

For the forward hatch, we use an Endless Breeze Fan

The fan is supported on 5/8" dowels which go across the hatch (we flattened the ends so it does not roll)

We have a cover which goes from under the eyebrow, over the foredeck, being held by eye bolts under the eyebrow, and pieces of 3/8" line to the bow pulpit. If it is really blowing, we take the forward end of this to the deck on each side of the pulpit (eye bolts) and to the forward cleat.

This allows both the forward opening window, and the hatch to be open, and protected from rain.

For the inside each bunk has outboard, at the aft end of the bunk: Caframo Maestro fans. These have a remote variable speed control as well as control for the red or white LED light which is in the center of the fan. The remote control is placed so it can be operated from outside the V berth, or by reaching overhead when you are lying down.

Also the port bulkhead of the V Berth area has been completely removed--much better air circulation. We run the fans almost every night--mostly on the lowest setting.

Then there is air conditioning!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: