Looking for single burner gimbled propane stove

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joc1212

City/Region: OAK HARBOR
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Last Time ll
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:02 am    Post subject: Looking for single burner gimbled propane stove Reply with quote

Would really like a Forester force 10 single burner gimbled propane stove for use on our 25.
Open to suggestions for similar stoves if you know of one that works well.
Need that morning coffee!!!!!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fairbro

City/Region: Prescott
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Minnie Swann
Photos: Minnie Swann
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you really have to do is Google: Single burner marine gimbaled stove. Dozens will show up. Relatively inexpensive too. Not always too safe on a boat though.

It's something in the water!
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look seriously at induction burners. $40 to $75. Of course, you will need a hefty inverter costing 4X as much to go from 12V to 120, but that can also be used for other items. No lugging propane tanks or searching for the little ones at the hardware store. No bilge blower. No open flame. No moisture from combustion. No protecting from the wind and probably 10X as fast. I often set mine outside on the fish cleaning station for cooking al fresco. Only needs an extention cord. In rough weather, I can set it on the floor to make coffee. Rougher weather than that and coffee isn't a good idea for me.

Mark

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-portable-induction-cooktop/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Gimbaled single burner propane stove Reply with quote

I have spent many an hour hunting for this item. The classic is the no longer made Bremer Sea Swing. They can go for as much as $400 and use one pound propane bottles or an adapter to a larger gas bottle with hose. Here is a link to a home built version at
http://lezliesworld.blogspot.com/2011/05/gimbaled-stove.html
and another for the Sea Swing at http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?200069-Bremer-Sea-Swing-Dimension
West Marine and others sell this model for a bit over $400 at
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/eno-stoves--two-burner-gimbaled-propane-cooktop--11853116
Force Ten/Froespar used to make a somwhat fragile version of the Sea Swing called the Forespar Mini-Galley Stove at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HOI-2YrlFs
You can buy a single burner gimbaled alcohol stove that is about as big as the Wallas Single Burner. It is called the Dometic ORIGO with Gimbal Mounts for 1500 & 3000 Stoves.
My suggestion is to do what the many boats with fixed diesel or wood burning stoves do, use a deep pot or pan and let the food gimbal!!! Much safer and cheaper. Next best idea? I use the small under $20 butane stoves. I just bought a brand new one at the 99 Cents only store for $6.50 with a carrying case and I buy the fuel carrtidges at Asian markets for $1.00 each. Build yourself a gambaled bracket and your are done!!!
Bob Jarrard
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To expand on what Marco noted: we have gone to induction burner in both the boat and RV--quick and no residual heat--inmportant in SW and SE--not in NE....

There are silicon mats which are non skid and can be placed on the induction burners. We find that the medium setting which uses 600 watts heats water just about as quick as the high settings. So a 800 watt inverter would be enough power.

We used gambled stoves on in sailboats for years...but pot clamps alone on the Wallas (or could be used on any flat surface burner) have worked for all of the conditions we have been in where cooking or heating water was necessary in the C Dory.

I have an aversion to cartridge propane bottles in the C Dory cabin, due to possible leaking seals. But we keep a couple of the propane bottles in a container which drains overboard in the splash well. We use the basic single burner Coleman/Ozark Trail, stove for a "back up" system if ever necessary. That single burner could be fitted with a nimble fairly easily. Pop Rivet stock to the flange of the burner, and build the bracket.

The weight of the cylinder should counter balance the weight of a small coffee pot...But I would put the point of gimble above the center of gravity of the pot to be safe. We have a couple of mounts for a cocktail table in the cockpit--and a gamble mount could be easily made to fit into that...

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
bobjarrard

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: They rust! Reply with quote

I have several one pound bottle stoves, word of caution, they rust, especially in salt air environments but I sometimes find themsafety on sale for well under $20.00. Bob is right, gas is dangerous. If you can stand the smell and slow heating, alcohol is much safer. I use a variety of DYI alcohol stoves that boil a cup or two of water in 4-5 minutes. Most of us use HEET and not the drug store white bottle sfuff to dodge the soot monster. That being said, I have never had a one pound qaulity propane bottle leak in many years of camping. Hard to beat a small propane tank with double safety shutoffs and the stove on/off. With a propane sensor/alarm and some care, it is as safe as any other fuel. I have seen Taylor/other kero/diesel stoves run away, solid fuel stoves have flue fires, and electric appliances of all kinds cause fires. I like to cook in the cockpit and not the cabin, any stove hung on side of the cockpit is safer and less prone to moisture build up in the below decks. Last but not least, we all put too much emphasis on hot food. Much of the world does not have that luxury but they get by on the room temperature challenge. Cold soaking works fine, especialy if you use a one burn morning hot water kick to the evenning hot/cold soak dinner. Last but not least, EAT OUT!!! Bob Jarrard
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why no mention of the one burner butane stoves? They are very affordable at around $30. I have used one for years, never a problem. The stove lives in it's box and stored under the dinette table when not in use, and the butane canisters live out in the cockpit. I always use it if I do not want to fire up the two burner Wallas. I know of at least one boat that took out the Wallas, changed the counter top (so no hole) and use two butane stoves side by side if needed. The KISS principle.
Also comes in handy when you are chowing down with friends at the picnic table on the dock at a marina.

Martin.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another benefit to the induction burner (like the one from Ikea shown in my link). These have a smooth glass top with no crevices that is easy to wipe clean if something boils over. Because the glass plate doesn't get hot, only the pot, the boiled over goop doesn't cook on to the burner. It is so much more convenient than any other stove that I've used on board. It feels like cheating.

Forgot to mention the silicon mat to use as a non-skid surface. A silicon hot pad can be too thick, causing the burner to not sense that there is a pan sitting on it (a safety feature, along with automatically turning off if a pan is removed for a minute). Use a thin silicon dough mat and cut it to fit. This one even has a series of circles to make cutting easy if you have a circular burner.

https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Measurement-Fondant-Rolling-Cookies/dp/B07Q3D28P2/ref=asc_df_B07Q3D28P2/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=343276570520&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17847688024659176563&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033320&hvtargid=pla-709843658080&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=73031402310&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=343276570520&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17847688024659176563&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033320&hvtargid=pla-709843658080

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bobjarrard

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject: Butane Reply with quote

I had mentioned earlier in the thread about the butane stoves:
"I use the small under $20 butane stoves. I just bought a brand new one at the 99 Cents only store for $6.50 with a carrying case and I buy the fuel carrtidges at Asian markets for $1.00 each. Build yourself a gambaled bracket and your are done!!! "
These are banned in Canada and Australia I believe. Major issue is folks think they can put a 12" fry pan or pot on an 8 inch burner and not reflect heat onto the butance canister on the right. The can or the burst plug fail and you have a nice litte butane bomb in your lap. I never leave the stove un-tended, will use a welder's shield (carbon cloth from HD) (oh for good old asbestos) (you can also use some Nomex with the carbon cloth) or even some heavy aluminum foil as a bit of insurance. If you cannot touch the hinged lid over the canister, then the stove is too hot!!!!
As an aside, you can buy surplus MRE heating bags for $1 each or less on EBay and they are a great thing to use on those really bad days on the water when all you want is hot, right now and no risk of lighting a stove/keeping a pot on a merry-go-around stove top.
In the past I have used the top pump dispensers to hold boiling water for almost a full day that still makes great tea/instant coffee/dry soup. And of course, there is the old Boy Scout trick of putting a Hobo Dinner in foil on the exhaust manifold if the motor is running, be sure to turn it once or twice if the meal demands.
Bob Jarrard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: