The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

dunk your trailer axles...or not?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptMac

City/Region: Amelia Island / Jacksonville
State or Province: FL
Photos: Blue Manatee
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: dunk your trailer axles...or not? Reply with quote

Maybe its just a cost of boating, but I have just had to replace the
trailer brakes on another boat trailer I have due to dunking them into the salt water.

The people I bought the trailer from said the brakes, which were not
stainless steel, were only good for about three years, which is about
how I've had the trailer. I have the trailer bunk boards.

According to the trailer folks, rinsing the brakes doesn't really help them
a lot, because between the time you launch and retrieve the boat, the
trailer ususally has been sitting in the hot sun all day, baking the salt into
the components. Plus, the brakes further heat up and harden the salt residue during the home trip.

For those of us with bunk board trailers who don't want to continue
dunking the axles into salt water, I understand there is either a spray-on
silicon lubricate or some plastic glides which are screwed onto the boards. Both supposedly allow the boat to slide down the bunks when launching without full immersion of the axles.

I can see that there would be more work involved in winching the boat
further up the trailer at retrieval, but I might be willing to spring for
one of the new, remote-contolled electric winches if it would save on buying trailer brakes every few years.

Does anyone not dunk their trailer axles? If so, do you have any experience with the spray lubricate or the plastic glides? If anyone uses them, how well do the electric trailer winches work? Thanks in advance!

http://www.floundergigging.com
Flounder Gigging Charters
"The Adventure of a Night-time"
904-556-0230 Cell/Text
dogon dory

State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Otter-BelleHavenMarina

City/Region: Alexandria
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Otter
Photos: Otter
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt Mac,
I look at the wet brakes issue as just another operational cost that I would rather pay for than reduce the friction between my bunks and the boat. I don't like the idea of the boat sliding around up there when I don't want it to!
Best regards,

usatin

City/Region: Carlsbad
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: John Helms
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Silicon spray on the bunks Reply with quote

I use the silicon spray with great results, though it took some getting used to. It has to be sprayed on when the bunks are clean and dry, then the spray has to dry before you pull the boat onto the bunks.

That takes planning: We launched my little boat one morning, my husband rinsed the bunks and let them dry in the sun. Then he silicon-sprayed them thoroughly and headed south to pick me up farther down the (Pacific) coast. The bunks were dry when I loaded the boat six hours later.

The bunks were so slick that the boat practicaly climbed into the trunk of the tow vehicle! When I next launched it, it slid back off the trailer as soon as I loosened the bow strap. Like magic!

Just make sure the water is deep enough to float the boat; it can just as easily come off ON the ramp as IN the water!

The one application of spray has lasted 20 launch-and-loads in salt water. I have only a manual winch on the trailer, but now I can pull the boat up without struggling. The brakes get rinsed every time the boat is loaded up after a run.
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

usatin: What is the name of the spray you use, and where did you purchase it?
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like my neighbor usatin, I've used a Marykate silicon spray product called "Liquid Rollers" (West Marine) and found that it works very well, albeit sometimes too well. On the other hand, religiously washing the brakes off after every trip has worked well with the trailers we've owned in the past. We used to clean and repack the bearings every other year and though there was always some rust buildup, it was never anything serious. The disc brakes on our new trailer seem to be far less vulnerable - at least so far.

Fortunately, there is a free water washdown area at my favorite launch ramp so it usually gets rinsed off rather quickly.

To be honest, I've stopped using Liquid Rollers with the relatively flat bottomed C-Dory. Launching at most So Cal ramps means power off (and on) if you're single handing the job and I need a little stiction on the bunkers to hold the boat while I disconnect the winch and return to the helm on launch, and to reconnect during recovery. Liquid Rollers also exacerbate the sideways stern slip-sliding phenomena while turning corners.

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
Otter-BelleHavenMarina

City/Region: Alexandria
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Otter
Photos: Otter
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an email question: Why worry about the boat sliding around on the trailer on the road if its tied down at bow and stern? Very good question and made me realize that my greater concern is what happens at the ramp. Here's my response:

You are absolutely right - when traveling, the boat should be secured to the trailer at the stern as well as the bow. If done properly, there should be no problem even with slicks. I have two areas of concern:

1. The Murphy factor, where the tie down strap at the stern comes loose or breaks while on the road -- the friction of carpeted bunks gives you more of a margin for that kind of unexpected problem. Not a likely scenario, but possible.

2. More significantly, at the ramp. I keep my boat on its trailer at the marina, so every time I go out I launch and retrieve. When I get ready to put the trailer in the water, I take off all the attachments of course and ease the trailer/boat into the water. On more than one occasion, I've had a kid or a dog appear suddenly in my rear view mirror at the busy park/ramp where our marina is, and I've had to step hard on the brakes. Even though I'm moving slowly, it still causes a lurch, and I fear that that could be enough to slide the boat off if the bunks were really slippery (or if they were rollers instead of bunks). I've never seen it, but I have heard stories of boats sliding of and crashing onto the concrete on the ramp, and I think if that ever happened to me I would probably cry like a baby and embarrass myself in front of all my marina friends! So for me, having to spend a few hundred bucks on the brakes ever three years because of their repeated immersions is worth it to avoid even the possibility of that scenario!

Caveat: all this free advice is coming from someone who has never had or used slicks or rollers, so I may be completely off in my estimate of just how slick they really are!
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have disc breaks or drums? My understanding is the disc breaks are easier to clean. I have the bunk trailer with disc breaks and whether it helps or not I still drive by the car wash and use the power sprayer on the trailer.
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Otter-BelleHavenMarina wrote:
2. More significantly, at the ramp. I keep my boat on its trailer at the marina, so every time I go out I launch and retrieve. When I get ready to put the trailer in the water, I take off all the attachments of course and ease the trailer/boat into the water.

There we may differ, Tom. I never release the winch cable until after backing in and stopping - even if I have help, though I do give it a little slack before locking it. You would cry like a baby if the boat crashed to the concrete, I would cry like a baby if the boat launched itself and I watched it take a solo cruise all by itself! Second only to forgetting to set the brakes/locking transmission before jumping out of the cab and equal to forgetting the plug, that ugly scenario has always given me nasty nightmares. Cry
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sneaks wrote:
Otter-BelleHavenMarina wrote:
2. More significantly, at the ramp. I keep my boat on its trailer at the marina, so every time I go out I launch and retrieve. When I get ready to put the trailer in the water, I take off all the attachments of course and ease the trailer/boat into the water.

There we may differ, Tom. I never release the winch cable until after backing in and stopping - even if I have help, though I do give it a little slack before locking it. You would cry like a baby if the boat crashed to the concrete, I would cry like a baby if the boat launched itself and I watched it take a solo cruise all by itself! Second only to forgetting to set the brakes/locking transmission before jumping out of the cab and equal to forgetting the plug, that ugly scenario has always given me nasty nightmares. Cry

I agree absolutely with this one - especially if you have rollers or put the slick stuff on the bunks. Some ramps are steep enough that the boat will come off without any of it floating. I never disconnect the boat's bow from the trailer until I am sure that it will float safely if it comes off right after the disconnect.

Roger

MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and I can't imagine launching or retrieving a boat without putting the trailer axle(s) in the water. It would make one heck of a splash going in and I wouldn't want to be anywhere near the winch, powered or not, upon retrieval. I think the force on the winch line would be horrendous and if that clevis gave way - lookout!
Al

Levity

City/Region: Shippensburg
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Levity
Photos: Levity
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,
Liquid Rollers and I get along just fine. Yes, the package must be securely attached to the trailer for the tow and the winch cable must remain attached until the trailer and boat are in the launch position at water's edge. Even with Liquid Rollers I find it necessary to dunk the rearmost axle into the water or the boat will scrape the frame of the trailer as it changes attitude in relation to the trailer. Having the boat slide off the trailer prematurely and hitting the ramp would be embarrassing but so is removing the winch cable, starting the engine, putting it into full reverse and having the boat REMAIN on the trailer!!
Mike 'Levity'
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Moose, I too can't imagine getting my boat in the water without getting the axel submerged. The only exception is using a travel lift - if there is one near you, that might be a preferred solution. There's one not too far away and I have to admit I'm willing to pay a little extra to use it (relative to a ramp) since that keeps the trailer out of the water and saves me a bit of flushing time. However, where I go, the ramp is $5-8 and the travel lift is $27 (both RT w/ parking). If it wasn't for the fact that travel lift is closer, I wouldn't pay the difference. The other downside to the travel lift is that it only operates at certain times - which seem to correspond with "just after the morning fish bite has stopped" and "just prior to the start of he evening bite".

Another possible option (if you're really trying to avoid getting the axels in salt) is to launch and retrieve in fresh water that connects to salt. I don't know if either of these options are available to you in Fla. but they might be.

Roger on the SeaDNA
Robbi

City/Region: Chambers Bay
C-Dory Year: 2023
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Photos: C-Run
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my problem. My drum brakes lasted about 14 months. I have a roller trailer and see no easy, safe way to launch without getting the brakes wet. I rinse after launch and retrieval and I always rinse the brakes with the flush kit., even if it is for a day cruise. The problem is that the launch ramp and my storage unit are about 50 feet apart. The brakes don't have a chance to dry like they would if I were to drive a few miles before storage. I don't feel like replacing the backing plates every 14 months. Because I sometimes travel on the road, I legally need brakes in this state. (The trailer is rated for 3100 lbs, and any trailer made that is rated for 3000lbs or more must have brakes.) My 19 footer weighs less than 3000lbs. Any ideas? I think that I should have bought disc brakes. Confused

Robbi

2003 C-Dory 19
sold 2019

2004 C-Dory 16 Cruiser
Sold 8/2015

2004 C-Dory 19 "C-Run"
Sold 8/2011

1989 C-Dory 16 Angler
Sold 2010
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robbi wrote:
Here is my problem. My drum brakes lasted about 14 months. I have a roller trailer and see no easy, safe way to launch without getting the brakes wet. I rinse after launch and retrieval and I always rinse the brakes with the flush kit., even if it is for a day cruise. The problem is that the launch ramp and my storage unit are about 50 feet apart. The brakes don't have a chance to dry like they would if I were to drive a few miles before storage. I don't feel like replacing the backing plates every 14 months. Because I sometimes travel on the road, I legally need brakes in this state. (The trailer is rated for 3100 lbs, and any trailer made that is rated for 3000lbs or more must have brakes.) My 19 footer weighs less than 3000lbs. Any ideas? I think that I should have bought disc brakes. Confused

Robbi

I've been told that drum breaks will rust even if used exclusively in fresh water because they can trap water in the drum and it doesn't matter if it's salt or not if it can't evaporate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: