View previous topic :: View next topic  
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject: Wallas Louvered Vent? Reply with quote

We finally bit the bullet and ordered a new Wallas today, not wanting to attempt to keep the old one functioning for another few years at great cost.

One thing I had never done with the old one was to install a 20 sq. in. louvered vent in our cabinetry as recommended. For those of you who have done this, can you recommend a specific vent model and placement position?

Thank you,
Allan on the MOOSE

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of 4 Wallas, I had one with a vent cover. One came with a long narrow cover, One was open, and the other 2 had no vent--I added by drilling a 1 1/4" hole at each end and then using a saber saw to cut the straight line between the two holes 18" long.

On the ones with an "open vent", I put a 24" hand rail in front of them--something I have always done in front of a stove, to give a hand grip, and safety bar--also makes a great dishtowel rack. There is a fair amount of ventilation, from the area which is often open under the gunnel on the starboard side; but not 20 sq inches.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered the vent from scan marine when I ordered some other accessories. Our boat never came with a Wallas, so I installed a used one.

Its mounted directly below the on the cabinet above the door, next to the wallas switch and below the wooden trim.

We have the molded fiberglass interior, and used some blue painters tape, and an ink pen. I made a cardboard template from the footprint of the vent and drew the lines on the blue tape. Than used a drill and a jig saw to carefully cut the hole. I'd already done the hole for the wallas itself in the reinforced area of the cabinet so the vent was a piece of cake.

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has no vent, and has worked great for 15 years. There is a cutout on the front of the cabinet, below the doors for a foot pump for the water. That is almost big enough.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your comments. I found a vent that would fit perfectly above the cabinet doors, but continued to wonder why I would need one. At the back left corner of the cabinet, where a lot of the control cables pass through, there is a cut-out that is easily 36 sq. in. and has, like hardee, worked fine for 17 years at supplying air. I called Scan to talk with them about it and they agreed that, while perhaps not ideal, don't install anything unless I find a problem with overheating. I doubt I will.

And, Bob, I also added a two foot grab rail at the front of the cabinet and you're right, it's where we hang towels.

Again, thanks all for your thoughts.

Allan
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a number of cutouts in the cabinet that let in air. There is the cable opening at the back, but also one at the front (where the cables go through to the helm. There is the hole for the foot pump, and some boats have finger holes in the cabinet doors instead of knobs for opening the doors. If you install the Wallis correctly there is also a slot at the back of the stove that is open as well.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a number of cutouts in the cabinet that let in air. There is the cable opening at the back, but also one at the front (where the cables go through to the helm). There is the hole for the foot pump, and some boats have finger holes in the cabinet doors instead of knobs for opening the doors. If you install the Wallis correctly there is also a slot at the back of the stove that is open as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: