City/Region: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:

Introducing your family to boating, is a wonderful idea. It will leave memories for all of their lives--and direct their life plans in many cases.

Next time my wife complains about how much time and money I put into Kanaloa i'm going to show her this.

07' Tomcat 255 "Kanaloa"
87' Boston Whaler Guardian 17 (BlackFlag, 03-14)
RobLL

City/Region: Bremerton
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A not untypical wind pattern in the central Puget Sound is that we get strong north winds and waves in the afternoon on hot days. While not scary it is quite a ride in the middle of the sound.
Jake B

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: PLUS 3
Photos: PLUS 3
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fish mainly the straits (sequim,pa,cq). when fishing and wanting to get out and back I would say I average 20 mph on most given days. that is with a 22' and 90 etec. fishing July-September. some days 15-17 some days up to 27 about as fast as I want to go in that set up.

if you do go with a c-dory I think you will find you go from 100% fishing boat to a 50-50 split between cruising, camping, and fishing. I know we did and one of the many things I am grateful for owning a cdory. had we went with a more "fishing only boat" I never would of been exposed to the other side of it.

25 is a sweet boat we are seriously thinking about upgrading as the kids have gotten older and bigger.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 22 and currently have a Tomcat. When I had the 22, I did a lot of my fishing and cruising in the Puget Sound. In the summer, there are not many days when you have to slow down due to wind/waves. Probably <25% of all summer days. In the winter, it's probably a bit higher, but even then most days are decent for cruising. The sound is fairly well protected. Except for high N/S winds and the entrance to the Strait of Juan de Fuca, there's not a lot of places with more than a 4-5 miles of fetch. For in the Strait or out on the coast, it's a different story as most days in winter you wouldn't want to be on the water. If your primary concern is runs from Everett to Kingston or Edmonds or LaConner, etc., I wouldn't worry about having to slow way down very often.
teedidy

City/Region: Shoreline
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:
In the summer, there are not many days when you have to slow down due to wind/waves. Probably <25% of all summer days. In the winter, it's probably a bit higher, but even then most days are decent for cruising. The sound is fairly well protected. Except for high N/S winds and the entrance to the Strait of Juan de Fuca, there's not a lot of places with more than a 4-5 miles of fetch.

Thank you Roger, Jake and Rob, I was really hoping this would be the case given how protected the waters are here from most winds.

-Troy

hardee

C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger is pretty right. The N/S winds are typical winter winds, so they affect the Puget Sound area more than the Strait of Juan. The summer winds are West (on shore flow) or east, (offshore) and the fetch in Juan de Fuca get V E R Y long. Often times in crossing you can see and feel the Pacific "wave train" rollers. They can be 6 - 12 feet and 30 - 45 second periods. Those are not usually a problem unless there is also a tide/wind conflict.

Jake. Great to see you the other day and good to see you here.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Jake B

C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: PLUS 3
Photos: PLUS 3
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, great to see you again as well. and for the 25' tour of your buddies boat. That got the wheels cranking on our end. I have not been on here in a while but hope to get back into it more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: