The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Balsa core hull repairs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frogman

City/Region: Forks
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject: Balsa core hull repairs Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I'm new to the site and looking to purchase my first C-dory. I just found out through a surveyor that the 1993 22' cruiser I was going to buy has hull delamination and moisture forward of the bulkhead towards bow. The boat otherwise is immaculate with only 450 hours on it. The owner was as surprised as I was from the findings.

I've only owned Aluminum boats and know little about fiberglass, balsa core, gelcoat. I really like the boat aside from this issue. My questions are, how difficult and costly is this type of repair? Should I keep keep looking or is this common in these boats?

Thanks in advance for you advice/answers.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frist, welcome aboard. I had a 93 22 and it was a great boat.

What does the surveyor have as objective evidence that there is "
Quote:
hull delamination and moisture forward of the bulkhead towards bow.

The reason I question this, is that I believe that the hull is solid glass from the V Berth area forward. That is no core. There may be water under the platform for the portipotty, and could be moisture in the foam under the V. Berth.

Sources of moisture in this area is often from the brass strip, screws being too deep holes--and not sealed, anchor locker drain or anchor locker floor not walled off from area under V berth. Sometimes water intrusion can occur from the rub rail leaking. There can be leaks around the forward hatch, or the bow railing bedding.

If the moisture would be back of the V Berth bulkhead (which is non structural), it would have to be from screws into the core--in the floor of the boat. Normally these are just around these areas.

I would try and get more specific information from the surveyor--and let him know that there is a void under the platform, where water may be--but should not cause delmaination. Water under the portipotty platform is easily accessed by putting an access port in the floor of this area--and pumping it out--then finding where it came from.

The more common delimitation is around the fasteners for the fuel tank cleats or or hold down brackets. Occasionally bilge pumps, or other accessories screwed into the floor, and not bedded into epoxy and sealed properly

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
RobLL

City/Region: Bremerton
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will probably get better answers than this, but a man working in one of the big shops at the Everett marina has repaired hull delamination and was very easy to talk to. This was about 5 years ago, but I imagine any knowledgeable person at the marina would now who he was/is.
frogman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Balsa core hull repairs Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. I won't get the report until Sunday evening. As per our phone conversation, the surveyor thought the intrusion may have come from the chain locker, because he saw no hull damage or repairs. When I get the report I will try and post it or reenter the findings.

I wasn't present for the inspection, and didn't ask what he used to determine the moisture and delamination. The boat was stored high and dry indoors and I know he was able to look the entire hull over prior to dropping it in the water.
pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Balsa core hull repairs Reply with quote

frogman wrote:
I just found out through a surveyor that the 1993 22' cruiser I was going to buy has hull delamination and moisture forward of the bulkhead towards bow.

What Thataway said. My '99 has solid fiberglass hull from bulkhead forward. I did find moisture when I removed the foam under the Vberth and still not sure what caused it. IMO this is not a major problem, certainly not as serious as moisture in balsa core, and may be more common than most people realize.

I'll be sealing the keel area and the anchor locker before the boat goes back in the water. With the flotation foam removed, not only do you have more storage space, but you also have easy visual access to the interior of the hull as well, which I like.

frogman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject: Balsa core hull repairs Reply with quote

Great feedback Paul. Do you have any pictures of that modification?

Rob
pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Balsa core hull repairs Reply with quote

frogman wrote:
Great feedback Paul. Do you have any pictures of that modification?

Here's pics of foam removal on my boat...
http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album2930&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

This is as far as I've gotten. If you search for "foam" you will find pics of what others have done, such as this...
http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=22405&highlight=1999+foam
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see this project again. Last time I missed the addition of the LED lights in the V-birth storage. Another great touch.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Nice to see this project again. Last time I missed the addition of the LED lights in the V-birth storage. Another great touch.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

My 08 did not have foam under the v-berth and had hatches installed by the factory (although they used small hatches on the side compartments and a large hatch on the front). I cut out and installed large hatches for the sides compartments. I also added lights to the berth compartments and the main cabin compartment (i.e. galley cabinet). I used LED sign modules similar to the ones shown below. They are inexpensive and waterproof.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20PCS-Cool-White-5630-SMD-3LEDs-Module-12V-Waterproof-LED-Lights-For-Sign-Letter/382411532454?epid=22016628986&hash=item590980e8a6:g:6SwAAOSwjI5aqhwx
frogman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: 1993 22’ cruiser Reply with quote

I just bought the boat. Thanks for the advice and links on how to deal with water under the v- berth. The input I received here helped me make my decision.

Rob
WeekiTiki

City/Region: Weeki Wachee
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Just Cruisin'
Photos: WeekiTiki
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! This place is a wealth of knowledge
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: