Cutty Sark

City/Region: Kenmore, Sammamish Slough
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Cutty Sark
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: MMSI #'s Reply with quote

I haven't seen this topic come up, but thought some might be interested in it. MMSI stands for Maritime Mobile Service Identity. They are a free Number that you can get here. http://www.boatus.com/mmsi/

An MMSI is for newer VHF radios with DSC capabilities.
" DSC radios have a one-button emergency transmit button that sends the vessel's unique MMSI number. In addition, if the DSC equipped radio is linked to a GPS or Loran unit, the distress call will include the vessel's position. Should the skipper become incapacitated, the radio will continue sending the mayday. In addition, a DSC equipped vessel with an MMSI number can make a "private" hailing call to another DSC-equipped vessel. Only the vessel being called will receive the hail. "

What is "private calling" as related to DSC?

It is in effect "private hailing" of another vessel whose MMSI number is known to you. Once contact is established between the vessels, they are automatically switched to the preselected "working channel", and the "privacy" ends at that point, meaning that the transmission (conversation) can be heard by any other vessel monitoring that channel

I believe you can send coordinates (fishing holes, current positions) without others recieving them, and I believe alot of the radios will actually tune you to the right channel that the caller is sending on. As long as you are in range. They also have group MMSI #'s. That everyone could program into their VHF. You could literally hit a button to send out a call and it would tune all C-Dory's in your area (with DSC radios) to the correct channel. Making it easy find out who's out in the same area as you. I thought this stuff was pretty cool when I read about it a couple months back. I just happened to think about it today and thought I'd share it with everyone.

Sark
awaiting my new CDory

Last edited by Cutty Sark on Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this feature on my new CD22 and had it on last boat. I can see the advantages for distress calling as it give the CG full details, automatically but I have never found enough users of common interest in the same area to make it worthwhile programing all those numbers.

On that subject, be VERY careful when programing your own MMSi as many radio's only allow you one or two attempts. After that you have to send them back to the factory !!

Also, if you sell a boat complete with radio with MSSI programed, don't forget to delete it because if the nex owner does nothing and one day presses that button, the CG will come looking for you.

Might also be an issue if you buy a radio from someone.. ?

Could be a great deal for C-brat gatherings

Just my .02c worth

Merv
Cutty Sark

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

195 views and only one reply Crying or Very sad . I guess no one thinks this as cool of a feature as I do. I fish alot and have some buddies who are out there on the sound too, alot of times we've missed each other not knowing what VHF channel the other is on. I thought it was so cool that it actually turns the recieving VHF to the right channel. And that you can do the whole position send and request deal without others recieving your coordinates. Keep those good holes secret. But The cell phone is a nice back up. I just figured some others would appreciate this neato feature. Laughing

Sark
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was going to reply, but I can't even spell MMIS.

There is a group of sport tuna fishermen down here who use this stuff to some degree. A few of them are going to the Seattle boat show to try to swing a group purchase of radios and GPS plotters to upgrade the fleet. That's about all I know about it.

I was told by a local marine store that the CG does not use the DSC stuff (at least not yet), and relies on the private users to help them if it is available in a situation.

Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard the same as Mike but I believe it's standard fit on large commercial vessels so one of those guys would hear you and relay to CG which is an advantage if you are bailing with one hand and trying to talk on a radio with the other !!

Hope is it will eventually speed up the rescue process and reduce false calls.

At least it makes the first mate more comfortable if I have a personal emergency.

Time will tell... Hope I never have to use it to find out..

Merv
Notayot

C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Notayot (sold 2/2018)
Photos: Notayot
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have the DSC feature on Notayot, and have our MMSI number installed, but so far have not been boating with anyone else using DSC. We have it for the emergency locate feature, since it is integrated with the chartplotter. If a group of boaters were all using DSC, I think they could even keep track of each others' location on the chartplotter with the DSC features.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" Does the U.S. Coast Guard monitor DSC maydays?

Not yet and it may not until 2005 or 2006. However, commercial ships are required to monitor the DSC-reserved Channel 70 for distress calls and have relayed maydays to the Coast Guard."

And any other boats with a DSC radio in the area, will also recieve your distress call. I say it does'nt hurt to stack as many cards in your favor in case of some kind of emergency. But you definitly want to try VHF 16 for the CG in an emergency. I just like that you can get a hold of friends no matter which channel they tend to monitor on their VHF. And that you can contact a whole group or anyone in that group with a touch of a button. If they all have the group # plugged in. I have DSC on my radio too but haven't subscribed to a number yet. I will as soon as I take delivery early next year. I think it could be quite usefull if you spend alot of time boating with groups of people such as the Cbrats or a local fishing club. You could tune everyone in to warn them of any dangerous obstacles, such as logs, debris or tugboats towing in fog, or just get everyone on the same page as far as where to meet, what the hot lure or combo is, etc.

Sark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: