View previous topic :: View next topic  
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: inside passage questions Reply with quote

if a person ran up the inside passage and ran non stop through Canada would you need to clear customs or have a radio operators license?
thanks,
ken

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently you do not have to report if you do not come in contact with anything but Canadian water. I.e. "do not land on Canadian soil and do not anchor, moor or make contact with another conveyance while in Canadian waters".

If doing the Inside Passage on a large boat and you do get stopped you can probably plausibly say that you did not stop anywhere. Saying the same thing on something like a C-Dory might take some serious convincing of the authorities. The Inside Passage is about a thousand miles (from US to US). You'll need to get gas somewhere.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/pb-pp-eng.html

Apparently, you'll need a license (i.e. pay $ to Canada) to transmit on your radio. Listening is free.

Last edited by ssobol on Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You better get on an airplane. I don’t think you can make it to your summer job on time in your boat even with the twin Suzukis.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearing customs is often just a phone call from the dock. Don't try it without clearing customs. You will be given a "number" to display. No way you could go from US border to AK without stopping for fuel, nor would you do it without anchoring.

The VHF radio is different. We did have a ship's radio license on our sailboat because of extensive international travel (and Marine SSB), but have made a number of trips into Canada with smaller boats without a US ships radio license. If you have AIS--I would say, have a license. This also means a MMSI number from FCC--not Boat US or Sea Tow. The reason is that international data base is shared by FCC. But apparently not the free numbers, which are good for domestic use.

For ham, all that is necessary is a suffix with the Canadian call region. For example, I would transmit KA6PKB/VE7 (for British Columbia)--and give a a physical location, such as "Telegraph cove".. Also it is customary for a ship to ID as "Maritime Mobile".

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
B~C

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rather than a c-dory, it will be a 40' landing craft with three 300 hp outboards & a 1000 gallon fuel tank.
It looks to me like you can't just call in if you don't have the nexus or i68 pass.
I recon we'll have to go to the dock and check in.....might an be interesting adventure
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken, It as very close to 750 miles from Port Townsend to Ketchican. Those 3 OB, might do more than suck fuel, but you should have plenty of room for an adequatly sized auxiliary tank. I know of one case where a commercial fish boat, about 90 feet, had not called or cleared Canada Customs, and he was directed to immediatly change course to Nanaimo to meet them their. That exchange was from a helo. Took place after they came in very close because he was not answering on the VHF. I think clearing ahead of time would be much less hastle.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

ssobol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
... Took place after they came in very close because he was not answering on the VHF. ...

Probably didn't buy the CDN radio license and didn't want to get dinged for transmitting on the radio without it.
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
hardee wrote:
... Took place after they came in very close because he was not answering on the VHF. ...

Probably didn't buy the CDN radio license and didn't want to get dinged for transmitting on the radio without it.

What CND radio license CAN a United States of America flagged vessel acquire in Canada?

My understanding is that technically if you take your USA flagged vessel outside of US waters and correspond on the VHF radio, you must have the FCC issued Ships Radio License (With a call sign-good for 10 years). You must also have the Restricted Radiotelephone Operator's Permit (good for life). Also if you have any FCC license, you must have a FCC Registration Number (good for lifetime). Total cost is going to be in the $300 range which includes the FCC issued MMSI number. The FCC MMSI number is put into the ITU data base. The Boat US (and similar) go only the the US Coast Guard, and is not forwarded to ITU. (ITU is Internatinal Telecommunication Union and their database is distributed to all of its signatories thru out the World.).
ssobol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
ssobol wrote:
hardee wrote:

What CND radio license CAN a United States of America flagged vessel acquire in Canada?

My understanding is that technically if you take your USA flagged vessel outside of US waters and correspond on the VHF radio, you must have the FCC issued Ships Radio License (With a call sign-good for 10 years). You must also have the Restricted Radiotelephone Operator's Permit (good for life). Also if you have any FCC license, you must have a FCC Registration Number (good for lifetime). Total cost is going to be in the $300 range which includes the FCC issued MMSI number. The FCC MMSI number is put into the ITU data base. The Boat US (and similar) go only the the US Coast Guard, and is not forwarded to ITU. (ITU is Internatinal Telecommunication Union and their database is distributed to all of its signatories thru out the World.).

There appears to be an exemption for pilots when operating aircraft.

However, it would seem that the average boater from the US (who can use their radio freely in US waters without any license) needs to have a Canadian license to transmit on their VHF in Canada.
B~C

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to be safe I sent away for the FCC license, I don't want to spend my summer in a Canadian prison existing on nothing but Tim Horton donuts and coffee....they are good though
here is some license info
https://www.offshoreblue.com/communications/radio-operator.php
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ssobol. stated"

Quote:
However, it would seem that the average boater from the US (who can use their radio freely in US waters without any license) needs to have a Canadian license to transmit on their VHF in Canada.

Apparently you missed my point. What mechanism is there for a US flagged vessel to obtain a Canadian VHF radio license? To my knowledge there is no such mechanism. If you know of such, please let us know how that is accomplished!

The only way to "legally" use the VHF in Canada is to have the US ship's radio license, and Restricted Radiotelehome Operators License.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken, to answer your original question re checking in with the Canadian Customs, and probably what happened with the fish boat I mentioned earlier, a Commercial (fishing ) vessel can transit Canada water with out checking into customs, but they must have a transit pass (certificate of some sort, with an issued number, AND must do the entire transit without: touching Canada, (anchor or landing) AND must have all fishing gear stored below deck for the entire time.

Source is a friend of mine who is a retired RCMP and Marine Patrol Officer.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: