The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Best MPG Vehicle that can tow 5k lbs.(For CD22)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
capt. meares

City/Region: Tillamook
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Vianey
Photos: Vianey
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Best MPG Vehicle that can tow 5k lbs.(For CD22) Reply with quote

I have punched all the numbers and read all the posts. I almost have my mind made up, looking like I am going to go with a Highlander..... I am tired of the Sequoia (12MPG) just isnt good enough for all the other times I use it for things other than towing. I need a vehicle that can tow 5k, not 10k!

My conclusion from most C-brats is that towing a CD22 with a Highlaner does very well. There is much discussion about WD hitches, sway-bars, tongue weight, brakes Etc. My CD22 on the scale fully loaded w/ single axle trailer is 3900lbs. My only slight concern is rear sagging with the tongue weight.

My question is..... What are everyones thoughts on moving the boat slightly back on the trailer 2 inches or so to lighten the tongue weight, and adjust all rollers and boat wench stand accordingly? I realize there is a fine line between too much weight in the front and too much in the rear.

Thank you
DavidM

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you seem to be asking for opinions on TVs, so here goes. I think that the Nissan Pathfinder may be a better choice. It is now rated for 6.000 lbs. Although your all up weight is well below that, I do think that the Pathfinder is built a little heavier than the Highlander.

Ours gets in the low 20s around town and 25-26 mpg on the highway at 70 mph. Some small part of that good mileage comes from its continuously variable transmission (CVT) which keeps it in just the right gear for the load.

Our camping trailer which weighs about as much as your CD 22 but probably with more windage, doesn't need a wdh and feels perfectly stable underway, I get about 13 mpg pulling it at 60-65 mph.

David
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot depends on how fast you go, and how you drive, as well as what vehicle you choose. Also what terrain you drive on (mountains vs flat land. Also comfort for the driver, reliability etc all have to be factored in.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought an '08 Pathfinder for towing my 22. It is 4WD and is body on frame with a "regular" transmission and the 4L V6. My 22 cruiser is about 4500# on the trailer with normal trailering load (i.e. no water, minimal gas).

So far I get about 12.5 mpg towing in urban environments. It is rarely going to be used for anything other than towing the boat.

In my area a used Pathfinder is about 1/2 the cost of the equivalent used Toyota (e.g. 4Runner). The only thing I've done for towing is to add the 7 pin plug and airbags to the rear suspension.

P.S. I live in the Mid Atlantic region and don't often have to deal with large mountains.

P.P.S. If your primary requirement is the best towing MPG you probably need to look at a diesel truck (like a 3/4 ton).
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Best MPG Vehicle that can tow 5k lbs.(For CD22) Reply with quote

capt. meares wrote:
I have punched all the numbers and read all the posts. . There is much discussion about WD hitches, sway-bars, tongue weight, brakes Etc. My CD22 on the scale fully loaded w/ single axle trailer is 3900lbs. My only slight concern is rear sagging with the ton
My question is..... What are everyones thoughts on moving the boat slightly back on the trailer 2 inches or so to lighten the tongue weight, and adjust all rollers and boat wench stand accordingly? I realize there is a fine line between too much weight in the front and too much in the rear.

Thank you

I think you need a weight distribution or equalizer hitch. There are some good videos on YouTube about what they achieve which is help correct for tongue weight. I don’t think moving the boat back is a good idea or will make a difference but I’m not an engineer.

Go with a good trailering shop or use etrailers to find the right weight hitch that works with surge brakes and backing up if that’s what you want. Never buy used in my opinion when it comes to towing equipment.
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject: Thoughts... Reply with quote

If you’re only towing from Tilllmook to a local ramp or Garibaldi, the Highlander would be OK, but personally I’d prefer a more capable vehicle for any trip with a significant climb or descent.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Best MPG Vehicle that can tow 5k lbs.(For CD22) Reply with quote

kaelc wrote:
capt. meares wrote:
I have punched all the numbers and read all the posts. . There is much discussion about WD hitches, sway-bars, tongue weight, brakes Etc. My CD22 on the scale fully loaded w/ single axle trailer is 3900lbs. My only slight concern is rear sagging with the ton

Thank you

I think you need a weight distribution or equalizer hitch. There are some good videos on YouTube about what they achieve which is help correct for tongue weight. I don’t think moving the boat back is a good idea or will make a difference but I’m not an engineer.

Go with a good trailering shop or use etrailers to find the right weight hitch that works with surge brakes and backing up if that’s what you want. Never buy used in my opinion when it comes to towing equipment.

WD hitches are not usually recommended for boat trailers. Boat trailers usually are pole type (single beam to the hitch) and not A frame like found on campers and other types of towed equipment. The stress on the tongue on AL trailers can also be an issue. Finally, not all WD hitches work well with surge brakes that are often found on boat trailers. You trailer manufacturer should be able to tell you if a WD hitch can be used with your model trailer.

There are some WD hitches that do work ok with boat trailers. You need to select the proper hitch.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I towed my CD-22 with a 2010 Highlander, before getting my F150. The Highlander did a great job. My tongue weight is around 450 lbs. The boat and trailer weighed in at very close to 5000 lbs, so I was towing right up to the limit. (Never went above 60mph while towing, other than to pass, and then never over 65-70.) I did put some helper coil inserts on the back springs. I can't remember the brand, but can look when I get back home if you remind me. (On the Inside Passage for the summer). Yes, it will squat several inches in the back with the boat trailer on, but other than raising the headlight aim, it was no problem. The helper inserts reduced the squat by about an inch and a half. I believe the newer Highlanders have a little bit lower payload weight. That can be a problem if you are carrying much inside the Highlander as well. But overall, it was a great vehicle. Towed the boat out west over the Rockies on two trips. And had no issues maintaining speed in the mountains. Just keep an eye on the transmission temperature, especially if you have to make several accelerations in the higher elevations when slowed by semis... I don't believe in WDH (Weight distribution hitches) on a boat trailer, so did not use one. My Highlander was speced for 500 lb tongue weight, so it was not a problem anyway. I do run electric brakes on both axles of my boat trailer, which definitely helped towing with the smaller SUV. Colby
letitride

City/Region: San Jose
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: No Limits
Photos: Letitride
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest you rent a highlander the exact model you plan to buy and or a few other vehicles you have in mind and tow your 22 C-Dory on a 100 mile test run. See whats the actual MPG you get before purchasing, that way you can make a better decision.

For my next tow vehicle, that is exactly what I am going to do

Very Happy
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use a 2017 hyundai sante fe 7 passenger model and get low 20s when not towing and low teens when towing our 22 "like" heavy 19 on a sigle axle trailer. I moved our boat backward slighly to rebalance for a lighter hitch weight and it worked well. Happy with our tow vehicle and it is the second one we have owned. Packed for trips, our load runs 4100 to 4300lbs

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also do not use any special hitch but are familiar with them from our travel trailer days.

Greg
Jim from New York

City/Region: Kings Park
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: MarTika
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject: Best MPG tow vehicle Reply with quote

Hi saw this and thought I would add some information.
Just returned from a trip from Florida to New York towing back a 23 C Dory.
Very happy with a VW Touareg Diesel rated to tow 7,700 pounds. I'm far from expert but it was an easy trip felt powerful getting on ramps no changes needed to suspension.
I got 30 mpg trip down and towing back 18 mpg
Very Happy with this car they give a 120.000 ten year warrantee on power train. You can find a 2016 low mileage for around 28 thousand well worth it with the warrantee. It’s also a short car and makes turns easier in tight spots.
Really enjoy all the information here
Jim from New York
WeekiTiki

City/Region: Weeki Wachee
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Just Cruisin'
Photos: WeekiTiki
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Toureg sounds pretty nice

But I'd have to say full size five cylinder Mercedes diesel van

or Dodge equivalent, Mercedes can be 4x4 too

Last edited by WeekiTiki on Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Tow vehicle Reply with quote

If looking at Sprinter or Mercedes van get the 6cylinder better performance We looked at many vehicles we had a 07 Sequoia that got 12mpg towing our CC 23Venture And about 15mpg around town hwy about 18 mpg So we went with a 2018 Expedition XLT with all the options except sun roof .with the eco boost engine we are getting 13-14 towing our CC23 and not towing we get 17 city 24hwy It was about the same price as Highlander
It had 15k miles on it but came with CPO warranty 7yr100k on drivetrain so far so Good

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
ken westrope

City/Region: ephrata
Vessel Name: c-knight
Photos: C-Knight
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the f-150 with the 3.0 liter diesel 25.5 mpg 14 towing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: