thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There Are a number of options for 'wireless depth sounders". One is Sonar Phone.

Another option is: Wi-FISH, by Ray Marine.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I-Pads always confuse me.

Harvey, I felt the same until I replaced an old Android phone with an i-phone. I never looked back...

Ferg

City/Region: Oak Island
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Here & Now
Photos: Here & Now
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dr. Bob
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
To me, the dedicated chartplotter is a dinosaur, bound for extinction. But then there are those who insist on using paper charts, so people give up what they know and grew up using very hard!

Well...that's a bit of a stretch.

I'm all for tablet navigation and trip planning. Fantastic stuff is available now, and especially when considering price/redundancy - it makes a lot of sense whether one has a dedicated chartplotter/MFD or not. I've played with a few, but prefer Navionics as it syncs pretty seamlessly with my Simrad NSS and uses the same charts.

However, as a complete replacement for a dedicated MFD - no way. For me, anyway. One word: Integration.

I can do none of the following natively on a tablet:

- Tap two points, autoroute, tap the new route and tell an autopilot to follow it.

- View AIS data. Yes, I'm aware you can jump through hoops to get AIS displayed on a tablet, but that involves buying additional expensive equipment. Even then - you can't tap an AIS target on your tablet charts and hail it on your VHF. From what I've seen, most tablet software that supports external AIS has limited, if any collision avoidance built in - one of the nicest parts about having AIS on modern MFD's.

- Depth. Again, as Dr. Bob already alluded to - you can buy additional components for wireless depth sounders. Yet more configuration, multiple vendors and expense, no standard integration as is provided by N2K. And, for me - I'll not trust anything wireless in my primary navigation components. Hard-wired network/signal cables are far more simple and reliable.

- RADAR. I'll not do any extended cruises without it. And, even if you decide to buy a standalone RADAR unit to compliment your tablet - you can't overlay the RADAR scan on your tablet charts.

The functionality provided by dedicated/integrated systems greatly exceeds that of tablets. These functions may or may not be important to you, and for many the features provided by tablet navigation may be adequate - but I don't see the gap narrowing any time soon.

Lastly - tablets are not waterproof. While inside the cab of a C-Dory, perhaps that's not a great concern. At the helm of an open cabin C-Dory like a 16/19 - a bit more risk. Regardless, given how portable they are - most folks tend to use them away from the helm, and exposure to the elements or an "oops" into the drink is possible. They're also a much easier target for theft than a permanently installed MFD - grab and run.

For me - the tablets serve as excellent trip planning tools, a second/alternative view of where I'm going, or in the case if a failure on my dedicated navigation instruments - redundant primary navigation.

thataway

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Da Nag ref the multi function display( MFD) continuing as the primary navigation tool. There are some which do allow virtually all of the functions via a smart tablet. The RayMarine I have currently allows multiple functions which are available on the MFD. But you need the RayMarine MFD at a certain level--and the cheap ones do not allow all of these functions. I haven't had time to play enough to see if the I pad will allow AIS/VHF interface to work--but I suspect it will. One of my RayMarine is touch only, the other is hybrid--both touch, and wheels, joy stick and buttons. I prefer the latter in rough weather. The same would hold true for use of a tablet which is touch only....

Same for the auto pilot--I have not tried routing and asking the pilot to follow, but I believe that is also available....

Furuno has a wireless radar which goes directly to the chart plotter.

Not only are tablets not water proof (but can be put in waterproof cases), but the screens are not as bright as some MFD displays.

For our use, we find both MFD and tablets are used. Especially in low visibility and night. I can drive and be eyes on the water, while Marie can run the MFD remotely from the I pad--and watch the radar, depth and chart plotter.

I suppose the tablet vs MFD can be like the twins vs singles, Delta anchor vs Fortress anchor etc...Some may prefer one over the other, and be passionate about their use.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.cnet.com/news/ipados-apple-gives-the-ipad-its-own-operating-system-ios-wwdc-2019/

Wonder what impacts, if any, this will have on navigation apps?
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy wrote:
https://www.cnet.com/news/ipados-apple-gives-the-ipad-its-own-operating-system-ios-wwdc-2019/

Wonder what impacts, if any, this will have on navigation apps?

With 20 million developers, I suspect that navigation will remain the same, or get better...They are not going to abandon the old apps.
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts are in line with Will's points. Another thing that I can't do well, when it is rough outside, is to use a touch screen. I use a hybrid 7" Garmin for depth, AIS and chartplotter, a separate display for radar and lastly I use my iPad as a backup. I found that the iPad let me look at the bigger picture (chart plotter mode) of the river or bay that I am in, while the primary chartplotter shows me the details of the immediate area that I am in.
OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This got me looking for a new iPad.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1342549-REG/apple_mpa52ll_a_12_9_ipad_pro_mid.html

I know its a model year old, but I couldn't resist the price.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
Clewless

City/Region: Ashland
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Clewless
Photos: Clewless
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been very happy with the iPad with cellular capability, Navionics app and using Sonar Phone for the depth sounder. The Sonar Phone can communicate via it's own WIFI network with the Navionics app so to have it's own configurable data field on the Navionics display.
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I seem to argue this every year, but after a couple years in search and rescue and dealing with marine clients I feel it is an informed opinion.

I agree with a few others that an iPad should only be used as a backup and with an external gps. Yes, some people have success but also a lot of boats run aground when being piloted with phones and tablets. A mdf is hard wired to your battery and depth sounder sonar and works 99% of the time, my Bluetooth headsets after a year or two 70-80% of the time they connect. My iPad crashes and has distracting apps.

An affordable mdf on sale is irreplaceable in my opinion and likely that of anyone in coast guard, boat repair, etc. C-dory Owner’s have 10-100k boats buy a $500 mdf.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaelc wrote:
Sorry I seem to argue this every year, but after a couple years in search and rescue and dealing with marine clients I feel it is an informed opinion.

I agree with a few others that an iPad should only be used as a backup and with an external gps. Yes, some people have success but also a lot of boats run aground when being piloted with phones and tablets. A mdf is hard wired to your battery and depth sounder sonar and works 99% of the time, my Bluetooth headsets after a year or two 70-80% of the time they connect. My iPad crashes and has distracting apps.

An affordable mdf on sale is irreplaceable in my opinion and likely that of anyone in coast guard, boat repair, etc. C-dory Owner’s have 10-100k boats buy a $500 mdf.

A reasonable chartplotter costs about the same as an good iPad anyway. However, you'll get a bigger screen for less money with an iPad.
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case I was also looking for a bigger navigation tool for our motorhome. We are going to spend Jan, Feb and March in Mexico. 6000 mile caravan with a small group of other RVers. I wanted something to display road navigation Apps larger than the motorhomes 7" screen. The 12.9" iPad should be ideal. Today I booted it up and was pleased to find that my previously purchased Navionics US and Canada showed up on the new iPad. I'll give it a try on our next trip to Lake Powell.

Anybody know of a good mount for a 12.9" iPad?
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to consider getting a matte screen protector for the iPad to reduce reflections. Most chart plotters have a matte screen.
Moxieabs

City/Region: Cape Neddick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Widget
Photos: Widget
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAM mounts are quality products. I've used a suction cup mount for an iPad and it never slips or comes loose, even in heavy chop. Amazon has a full selection.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: