homerjack

City/Region: Homer
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 49er
Photos: 49er
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem. Sometimes made worse if pump rate is set too high. I have stack of absorption pads on board and use one to smother fill opening. Note: If you fill too slow at the end, it may not be enough flow to trigger nozzle shut off and end up flowing out of vent port. Don't ask me how I know.
C-Green

City/Region: Houghton
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: C-Green
Photos: C-Green
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find I can fill faster when I don't bury the nozzle as far as possible - I'd say I only bury about half the nozzle. I think a full bury puts the discharge of the nozzle against the first bend and hence it shoots back up at you.

Jay
Nancy and Bud

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: IL
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Emma Mae
Photos: Emma Mae
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a PIA.

Tried to fill both thanks this afternoon. With less than one gallon in each tank it spewed gas both in the cockpit and over the sides.

Is this the best C-Dory can do??????

From the posts above it looks like a shorter fill hose works as well as cross venting between tanks.

Anyone with newer 22's experiencing the same problem???

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether it over fills or not depends on mostly 2 things. First, How fast you fill. And some places (Roche Harbor in my favorite) has a valve where you can adjust the fill speed right on the fill handle. So. slow is the word. Second, Listen to the fill sound, (and with the super cool, C-Dory Gas gauges -- read see through tanks, Keep an eye on the fill level and shut it off before you are 1.5 inches from the top of the tank.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKFisher wrote:
So over all, I'm am glad it is not just me experiencing this issue. I do have to fill extremely slow and I will have to look at figuring a way to get the hose as straight as possible and maybe some type of fix to stop the burping back. Thanks for the insights and recommendations.

And its not just C-dory, most boats are a pos to fill. When I replaced the tanks on my 22 I made the fill hose about 6" shorter on both sides making a pretty much straight shot into tanks. That helped a bunch. Also removed the kink the factory had in the vents. Thumbs Up
Nancy and Bud

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: IL
Vessel Name: Emma Mae
Photos: Emma Mae
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's been a heck of a day. Got all of the fuel fill lines and vent lines out of the boat.

Check out this pic. Big dent that had to affect filling.

Off to get new hoses and T's to replace the old ones and combine the vents.

tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nancy and Bud wrote:
Well, it's been a heck of a day. Got all of the fuel fill lines and vent lines out of the boat.

Check out this pic. Big dent that had to affect filling.

Off to get new hoses and T's to replace the old ones and combine the vents.

Looks familiar Thumbs Up
AKFisher

City/Region: Venice
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2013
Vessel Name: NELLIE GRACE
Photos: AKFisher
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: UPDATE Reply with quote

Well I gave it a full year to try the slow fill method and turning the fill handle is certain direction to see if there was a sweet spot. So far there is really no best practice. I will be looking into new hoses and cross venting with possible check valve.

I appreciate all the advice and help from all you dedicated C-Brats. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fill hoses are straight. The starboard hose was four inches short and came off during filling, causing 40-50 gallons of gas to pour into the bilge. I replaced it with a longer hose.

I have gas burp out of the vent most times I fill, even when filling slowly. I've found that listening for gurgling and stopping before the tank is completely full helps.

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
Jim from New York

City/Region: Kings Park
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: MarTika
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have this problem and it doesn’t look to easy to straighten out the vent lines. Has anybody tried the clean way fuel fill kit you put in the fuel fill first and it acts as a baffle it looks like a good answer for this. Any opinions?
Jim

https://cleanwayfuelfill.shop/
B95054

City/Region: Maple Ridge
State or Province: BC
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can’t speak to C-Dory because I cannot find one to buy yet, but I did battle this problem for a couple of years on my last Bayliner. I had to trickle the fuel in or it would splash back everywhere. When I looked at the vent and screen it looked perfectly fine so I never suspected it to be the problem. Finally one day out of frustration I disconnected the vent hose from the vent and suddenly could fill at full speed. Replace the little chrome vent outlet and my problem was gone. Point being that if venting is inadequate gas will back flow and shoot right out at you. I recommend disconnecting your vent hose and then trying to fill to see if your problem goes away and if that does not work then explore ways that you may be able to increase the venting.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim from New York wrote:
I also have this problem and it doesn’t look to easy to straighten out the vent lines. Has anybody tried the clean way fuel fill kit you put in the fuel fill first and it acts as a baffle it looks like a good answer for this. Any opinions?
Jim

https://cleanwayfuelfill.shop/

I have one of these. It helps quite a bit, but it is not perfect. The issue is getting a tight seal between the Cleanway and the fill port. Having filler caps retained with a chain causes the chain to get in the way. Also, the C-Dory fillers have a raised edge around them (mine does anyway), that requires a little filing of the Cleanway to get a better fit. So the Cleanway does capture a lot of the fuel that spurts out of the filler, but not all of it. It is better than nothing though.

For me, I fill the tank at normal flow until it is about an inch from the top of the tank. Then I pause and let the fuel settle and the tank vent. Then top off the tank slowly. If you are in a quite place you can hear the fuel starting to come up the filler tube and stop the flow to let it settle. At noisy places this can be difficult to hear. Also, when filling on the water a sudden rock of the boat can cause the fuel to spurt unexpectedly if you are fueling at the time.
B95054

City/Region: Maple Ridge
State or Province: BC
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can’t speak to C-Dory because I cannot find one to buy yet, but I did battle this problem for a couple of years on my last Bayliner. I had to trickle the fuel in or it would splash back everywhere. When I looked at the vent and screen it looked perfectly fine so I never suspected it to be the problem. Finally one day out of frustration I disconnected the vent hose from the vent and suddenly could fill at full speed. Replace the little chrome vent outlet and my problem was gone. Point being that if venting is inadequate gas will back flow and shoot right out at you. I recommend disconnecting your vent hose and then trying to fill to see if your problem goes away and if that does not work then explore ways that you may be able to increase the venting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: