View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knipet

City/Region: Orcas Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Pan-A-C'ya
Photos: Pan-A-C'ya
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your insightful comments. I will definitely employ a snubber bridal to reduce the strain off the windlass while at anchor. However I will need something to remind me to remove it prior to hitting the switch on the windlass to hoist the anchor. I can foresee bad things happening if I fail to remove the snubber line!
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve and Joanie.

Definately use a snubber as David and Dr. Bob have mentioned to reduce the strain on your windlass.

You may want to also consider adding another 100 ft. or so of 1/2 nylon 3 strand line to the chain for the deeper water north of you in the northern Inside Passage. You will use all of it and wish you had more in some areas where you want to anchor with stern tie which we found out last month. That extra 100 ft. of nylon will also give your rode the stretch it needs to protect the windlass. We had Englund Marine custom splice the line onto our chain or you may be able to do it yourself.

Gary and Colleen.
DavidM

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary is correct. I think that the most versatile rode combination is 150' of chain backed by 100' of nylon. With 1/4" chain, 1/2 nylon works fine. With 5/16" chain go with 7/8" nylon.

That much rode lets you anchor in as much as 80' with a 4:1 scope. I once did that in Somes Sound in Maine.

David
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. You guys anchor in deep water. Im not comfortable with that yet.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something to remember in the equations:

1/4" Hi-Test G-40 chain weighs 0.74 lbs. per ft, so 50 ft weighs 37 lbs, 100 ft weighs 74 lbs, and 150 ft weighs 111 lbs.

Add a 15-25 lb anchor to these figures above, and you'll soon realize you need a windlass to raise the anchor once its down! In fact, lowering the anchor is much more easily done with the windlass, too. A good windlass and chain works like clockwork to raise and lower the entire shebang, all with the flip of a toggle switch from the helm. Worth every penny, and especially as you get older!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject: a thought on total weight Reply with quote

I once owned a Cape Dory 36 sailboat. Big full keel hull and I had no anchor lifting help other than my arms and back. I had a CQR, 50 feet of chain and 450 of nylon line. Also another 200 feet of nylon to add to the total length if we went to San Clemente Island (the Navy makes you moor way off the beach). I could barely get the whole thing up and in the anchor locker. I would suggest going to a chandler, piling everything you want to use in the way of anchor gear into a big laundry basket and then pick it up 100 times dead lift from the floor. If you cannot do that, then maybe it is time to think over an anchor winch or lighter gear. Myself, I would vote for strip out the weight first as all mechanical devices are suspect in a marine environment. Although slow, I have never seen a quality well maintained manual winch fail. On my Cape Dory 36 I had turning blocks to bring the nylon anchor line back to the main cockpit sheet winches. I could even cross the winches and have two people crank with double handed winch handles, lots of horsepower. A good capstan located in the right place can do lots of nice things from allowing you to hoist up the dinghy to hoisting a stuck anchor off the seabed. I like the Aussie open reel winches, the GX and Elite series from LoneStar Marine are at the top of my list (http://lonestarmarine.com.au/elite-vs-gx-a-comparison-guide/).
Fair winds and calm waters to you all.
Bob Jarrard
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here is a little bit of advice. when you install the windlass make sure you place it so that the chain can fall straight down the longest distance. I messed up and the chain hits the front slope of the inside of the hull and piles up quickly. This causes the chain to slack and skip off the drum. Susan has to go forward and pull on the chain to keep it going. In the future I will have to pul it out of the deck and move it. That means rebuilding the deck where it is now.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bob-

We were running a 505 sailing World Championship in Santa Cruz Ca, quite a few years back and I was working on the Race Committee.
When the day's races were over, I foolishly volunteered to raise the anchor. After we took up the slack, I decided it would be faster to just haul it in by hand rather than use the manually cranked winch handle. 200 or so feet later I got the big Danforth up to the bow roller. Dang near had a coronary, and I was about 45 and in good running and other body trim (no more!). Smile

Electric Windlasses Forever! Laughing

Have a Lewmar 1500 Express windlass on my Sea Ray 265 Sedan Cruiser that could probably win a pulling contest with the average off-road vehicle's winch. Could take off your arm, foot, or leg just like a good chain saw. Glad the up/down buttons are up at the flying bridge, not step-on ones at the bow, although I can see where and when they would be useful there when dealing with tangles or using raw water to wash the rode coming aboard.

No wonder so many mariners wind up with peg legs! Laughing

***All kidding aside, you can get seriously hurt with any electric or even manual winch, and care and safety must be used at all times!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just replaced my galvanized chain with 150 feet of stainless 1/4".
It now slides into a flat pile rather than a mound that blocked any further chain from entering the locker. It will also be easier to see underwater, especially with the stainless anchor.

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mind me asking what the chain cost? Was it hard to get it in one piece? Mail order or local store?
Pacificcoast101

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

150 feet of stainless chain for $874.91 including tax.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ANCHOR-CHAIN-STAINLESS-STEEL-150-ft-316L-1-4-DIN-766-BBB-S0601-0007-316/163856467737?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, Looks good, nice find. It is BBB 1/4". What Windlass do you have? I am a long way from my boat, but it that would work, I might be interested.

2000# working Load
8000# Breaking Load

100 feet would be 76 pounds.

Does anyone see a problem with that for a 22 Cruiser.

Thoughts?

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Pacificcoast101

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

316 Stainless Steel Anchor Chain For Maximum Corrosion Resistance. This Calibrated Chain Has Dimensions Of "Bbb" Chain And Fits Many Standard Windlasses. This Chain Complies With All Requirements Of Din 766.

Size: 1/4"
A (Dia): .28"
B: (Inner L): .87"
C: (Inner W) .36"
WLL 2,000 lb
BL 8,000 lb
Weight .76 lb/ft

I have a Lewmar Pro Series 700h windlass.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Phil, I have a Swift, just can't remember the model number to look up the specs. I sure do like the idea of Stainless (non rusting) chain.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

outbackbill

City/Region: Mocksville
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue Days
Photos: Blue Days
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another negative about all chain that hasn't been mentioned is that C Dory's tend to weathervane at anchor and unless you use a snubber at all times at the end of each swing there is an abrupt jolt and sound that makes sleeping difficult. Rather than adding the snubber each time you anchor, if you cruise in areas that don't require deep anchoring I think it's easier to use 30 to 40 feet of chain and let out enough line to act as a snubber.

Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: