The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Removal of the kicker improved boat trim and performance in

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Nile

City/Region: Connecticut
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2012
Vessel Name: Betty Ann
Photos: C-Nile
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Removal of the kicker improved boat trim and performance in Reply with quote

Recently I reported we had permanently removed our 9.9 HP auxiliary motor. I now believe that the combination of the heavier Honda 115 HP main and auxiliary motors makes the Marinaut 215 stern heavy, preventing our boat from keeping her bow down in heavy seas. What a positive difference it made! We recently we got into 3’ to 4’ head seas, and had no issue keeping the bow down. She cut right through the waves with mostly full engine trim. Our friend’s boat did not have our problem, because they have a Permatrim hydrofoil. However, they get 25%-30% less mileage. The reason for the mileage difference, I think (any other explanations are welcomed), is that the more one’s boat is stern-heavy, the more energy is required to create the lift needed to bring the boat to level trim. This brings to mind several things stated by others in the past. Dr. Bob could not understand why we had so much problem in heavy seas in LI Sound. He was right in that his boat would not have had similar issues. Fellow C-Brats were right about Permatrim, but Les Lampman was right, too, in saying that the boat did not need it — provided of course that it is not stern heavy. If I were to do this all over again, I would use a 100 pound lighter engine (like a Suzuki) rather than that big 150 HP block Honda 115, if I wanted an auxiliary motor. Otherwise, I would go with the Honda 115, which is a low-rpm, high-torque and more fuel efficient motor that gets in excess of 4.5 mpg. Anyway, that’s my take after using our boat for 9 seasons.
Capn Jack

City/Region: La Conner
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Pocket Yacht
Photos: Pocket Yacht
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:10 pm    Post subject: Removing Kicker Motor Reply with quote

When I bought my 16' C-Dory, it had a 50hp Evinrude as a main motor and a 6hp Evenrude kicker. The kicker is mounted on the helm side, making the boat trim to starboard when I use it alone. Sad
I have often thought about either moving the 6hp to the port side, or eliminating it altogether. My solution was just to use the 80qt. ice chest I use for a, "Catch-all, extra seat, fish box as a movable ballast and trim the boat with it, when I'm out by myself. Thumbs Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: