View previous topic :: View next topic  
alainP

City/Region: TUCSON
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: deja la
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are in Puerto Escondido right now on our 25. We left San carlos (Sonora) in March , slowly made our way down to La Paz and are now on our way back up to San carlos.
I must say that I felt the same way you do about the water tank capacity on the C-Dory before our first trip down the Sea a couple years ago, we previously had a Tayana37 with a 90 gls water tank plus a 8gl/hr watermaker.
Surprisingly it has not proven to be much of a problem for us.
Adaptation in water use was the key. I installed a valve after the pump to regulate the flow out of the faucet to a minimum, we have 2 solar shower bags and we prewash dirty pots and pans as much as possible with sea water. I carry an extra 5 gls in a jug in addition to a few single gallons of good drinking water.
South of Puerto Escondido Agua Verde has a grocery store with 20 liter bottles (and WiFi @ 30 pesos/hr) Evaristo has an R.O plant and will sell you water (take your own jug) The little bar/restaurant there might sell you water as well l
It's definitely doable especially in the winter unless you decide to have lengthy stays at the islands
I few weeks ago I developed a leak in my tank that now makes the water situation a bit more challenging. I think it might have been caused while filling the tank by unusually high water pressure at the dock in Puerto Escondido on our way down.
Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On our 2006 model year CD 25 the holding tank was in the rear where yours is. I removed it by cutting a hole for a new hatch the same as the port and stb hatches on the face of the motor well. In our case the tank had cracked and was leaking. By removing the tank and now with a third hatch we have access to the entire area under the splash well. If you did something similar it would certainly solve your access problems to the holding tank. And if you removed it, you would be able to choose to put whatever works best there. Sorry I don't have any pictures of the hatch placement.
Cheers
Ron
Ron on Meander

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I should mention it because you've probably already figured out how you wan to use the cockpit but.... when we cruised with Meander our CD 25 in the Baja in 2009 on the longer trips of up to 10 days away for our base in Puerto Escondito, we carried 2 5 gal containers of water and 2 5 gal containers of gas in the cockpit. The gas containers were the most important. Especially in Las Paz where I had to pack 50 gallons from a gas station 2 blocks from the marina because at that time none of the marinas were selling gasoline.
Cheers
Ron
Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron and Alain, thank you so much for your responses, exactly what we need.
We were always based out of San Carlos with our Sailboat and then with our Ranger Tug 25. We never got a window we liked in between northers, most of the reason we are trailering the CD 25 down to Escondido, Dana has to work intill late in the year after the northers have picked up. It is good to know we can buy water in Everisto. The valve to limit the pump water is a good idea, I did put in a little hand pump at the galley sink that draws through a very fine filter. I put in a little sink in the head and both of the sinks have salt water foot pumps. Dana is a nurse and we once got sick washing dishes in salt water so she won't use salt anymore in crowded anchorages. Our boat has a lift off hatch way to the rear of the cockpit that exposes the back half of the holding tank, but it is a very tight spot to work in. I have thought about cutting out the part of the tank l can reach and stuffing a water blader into it. In the old days we ferried a lot of jugs from shore in the dingy and that is one solution. I can't seem to convince Dana to carry fuel in the cockpit and fuel range on a cruising loaded boat is a worry. I did get the optional computer gauge with the new Suzuki so we know our fuel flow rate which helps. On our recent trip to Shasta with a cruising load we were lucky to get near 2 miles per gallon at planing speeds, so I am still learning the boat.
It is so great to hear positive information about how the CD 25 does down in the sea, I wish I could talk in person for more details. We know the Tayanas well, our Sailboat was similar in size that we sailed down in 2011.
Thank you both again for your helpful posts!! Micah

1978 Folkes 38 SV Audacious (2006-2015)
Micah, KJ6GUF, Dana, KJ6GXG
Ron on Meander

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah,
I did find an image that shows the hatch location somewhat

Quote:
We never got a window we liked in between northers,

Yeah, northers! I didn't really have any experience with northers before the Sea of Cortez. It scared the h.... out of me. The weather forecasts down there are of course nothing like up here, and we ventured out from an anchorage early to beat a norther. Not!!! 40 nautical miles in just over two hours, surfing down the face of 5-7 ft seas, full power to climb back up and eternally thankful for those two extra 5 gal cans of gas I added back in the anchorage! Nothing I want to repeat.
alainP

City/Region: TUCSON
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: deja la
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron & Micah
Ron, my holding tank is under the toilet bowl in the head, the water tank, under the splash well, as measured (10x30x20 approx.) is too big to remove even with an extra vertical hatch on the forward part of the well. I am hesitant to cut too many large holes in that area as I feel the entire well as built is structural in some ways.
Micah, re: fuel range, the only time I get on a plane is when we cross from San Carlos to Santa Rosalia and vice versa, good fuel docks on either side, I burn about 40 gls on that crossing, approximately 80 NM. The rest of the way going south down the Baja and island hopping I mostly go 1800 rpm, giving me around 6, 6.5 knts and I get between 4 and 5 Nm/gallon even fully loaded. I fish all the way and I've been lucky with good size Dorados this year. I usually have half a tank left when I get to Puerto Escondido, I fill up there (~20 pesos/liter) and again will have half a tank, maybe a little less by the time I get to La Paz, Two fuel docks with gas there, marina Costa Baja and marina Palmira (preferred).
As far as washing dishes in sea water, I would not consider it in a crowded anchorage or if the water looks questionable ie; algae blooms, slime ets.. I always give ir a fresh water rinse afterwards regardless.
Ron on Meander

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On our recent trip to Shasta with a cruising load we were lucky to get near 2 miles per gallon at planing speeds, so I am still learning the boat.

Sorry I missed this in your last post. 2 NMPG is probably pretty good for a heavily loaded 25 on plane. We have averaged around 2.5 NMPG in over 12,000 NM of travel in Meander. This is with our 150 Yamaha. Probably a good 4,000 miles of that has been at just over hull speed. Many of us choose to cruise at less that 2,000 RPM at 6-7kts for two reasons. Fuel economy and we just damn well enjoy going slow in boats. (with the option of hurry up when we want. Very Happy )
Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, nice photo, our boat is earlier and has a ply/glass cockpit floor and the splash well is open 9" high accross the front with the holding tank under the rear of the cockpit floor, empty because of the composting toilet. So we may cut an access in it for a water bladder.
Thanks for the fuel info we traveled the route from San Carlos to La Paz many times with our sailboat as we kept her in in San Carlos for the summer for many years. We got diesel fuel at all the places you mentioned. I did check out the gas mileage at lower speeds and did get over 4 mpg. We always left anchorages down there at dawn when going north to avoid the afternoon winds and avoided northers like the plague. People up north don't understand that it can go from flat to 6' at 6 seconds in no time. I was hoping that our new to us hot rod boat would be faster than our old sailboat! Alain have you tried XM sat. weather down there we have always used the ham/SSB nets, curious. Still on the watermaker fence as we have hauled a lot of jugs in our time and will have to haul gas cans for sure if we spend a lot of time in Conception. We have excess solar amps we can use for a watermaker but losing interior storage is a tough trade off.
Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spectra Ventura 200 watermaker looks to have won our debate, the measurements fit and the weight is less than an auxiliary water tank, plus we have plenty of solar amps to run it's 8 amp draw for 6-7 gallons an hour.
I will attempt to load photos of the install if all goes to plan (the gods laugh at me a lot)
Thank you all for your helpful posts, Micah
Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dana noticed that I need to make a correction...Ventura 150 6.3 gallons an hour @ 8 amps vs Ventura 200 8+ gallons an hour @ 9 amps draw, same exact footprint.
coastal cruiser

City/Region: Carmel
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:00 pm    Post subject: Water Maker Reply with quote

Did you guys end up going with the Rain Maker as your water maker? How is it working out so far?
Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We ended up with a Spectra Ventura 200, we just ran it in to get the factory preservatives out. We are now down on the Sea of Cortez. There is a whole separate album of the installation in my Sierra photos, along with my comments.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: