View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazy4salmon

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: C-Therapy
Photos: C-Therapy
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:31 pm    Post subject: 22'Angler Cruising Speed Reply with quote

Afternoon All,

Just getting a bug to get rid of my deep "V" Robalo and go with something more economical but still solid. I mostly fish and spend a couple nights out a year. Just wondering what a normal cruising speed would be for a 22' Angler with the common 90hp 4-stroke on the back? Calm seas 2' or less and what I might expect for fuel burn.

I have 3 boats that I am leaning towards 22' Angler, 25 Tomcat or 22' Arima Legend? Think the Tomcat is out, all I have read is about 2 mpg at cruise and I get that out of my 24 Robalo. Also 2 large outboards to take care of, instead of one.

Thanks for your time. Tight Lines.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a recent thread on mileage on the 22 with a 100 hp--but the answers are mostly for a 90.

the answers are all over the place from mid 2's to over 4 mpg. I think in the mid 3's for a balanced and loaded boat. You may have a range up into the 150 mile range with 10% reserve.

As far as speed, some run in the 14 to 16 mph range, I often do 20 to 22 with the c Dory 22. The graphs show on "test sites" are always a bit optimistic, since it is a new boat, no gear, light load, partial fuel and water--1-2 people.

But the 22 will not ride as well as the Robalo. {Robalos have an 18 to 22* dead rise--and if you go to some Contender and Regulators, you will find dead rise up to 26*}. If you combine with some displacement speeds, you can get over 200 miles... This is why I have had fuel flow meters (and totalizers) on most of my C Dorys. The Tom Cat would give the best ride and speeds, but at a "price". On the other hand, realistically the cost of fuel is only a fraction of the total ownership costs.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Yakmandu

City/Region: Lake Lanier
State or Province: GA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Miss April
Photos: Pops GO!
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2005 C-Dory 19 Angler here...

My Angler 19 has a Honda 90 carbureted 4 stroke. When I’m loaded with a week’s worth of fuel, supplies, water, kicker, and coolers, I get 4.5 to 5.5 mpg depending on conditions. My normal cruising speed in calm conditions is 20 to 25 mph. When it starts getting rough (less than 2 footers) I back down to 13 to 15 mph, with tabs and trim down. This reduces my mileage to around 4 mpg.

I have traveled over 160 miles on a tank of gas with a quarter tank to spare.

In ideal conditions, with a light boat, I have seen 6 mpg.

My C-Dory is way more boat than I am captain. It is hard to believe it is only 19 feet long. I’m sure the 22 rides even better!

gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have also seen 6mpg, lightly loaded, in a strong current, with a tailwind, while going over a waterfall. But it was a short trip.

Do not try this at home.

Happy researching!

John

crazy4salmon

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: C-Therapy
Photos: C-Therapy
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great info guys. What a great site, can't wait till I have one on the dock and can post some pictures in the near future.

It will be a learning curve on the speeds I can travel in different weather conditions. Two years ago during our local salmon derby I had a buddy wait at the dock so I could break weather for him with the 21* deadrise Robalo. Now he will be able to keep up with me and I won't have to stop 4 times going across the straits to wait for him:-0.

I would spend the money on the 25 Tomcat if I thought my wife would actually use it with me more than a couple times a year. No waterfalls in my future, I hope.

I am dead set on a 22 Angler now. I fish by myself half of the time and with a buddy, son or my wife the other half. Think it will be perfect. Thanks again. I really appreciate all the great info.
dgeorges

City/Region: Highlands Ranch
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: FRESH FISH
Photos: FRESH FISH
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fish the great lakes a lot out of a CD22, chasing salmonids every chance I get.

Fully loaded with gear, provisions, etc for a few days of fishing and staying in a slip, my Honda 90 four stroke is very miserly with the fuel. I find myself using about 15 gallons for a couple of long days of near shore trolling and 25 gallons for
a couple of days of off shore (10 miles out) forays and trolling.

The 22 cuts through the water very comfortably and is easy to troll with in rough water. It is easy to work fish to the back of the boat for netting at low speeds.

Good luck with your decision and tight lines right back at ya...

CD 22 Cruiser "FRESH FISH: 2018 to present.
CD 16 Angler "OPA": 2013 to 2019.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: