View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yakmandu

City/Region: Lake Lanier
State or Province: GA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Miss April
Photos: Pops GO!
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject: 2005 Angler - restricted fuel flow Reply with quote

Just got back from a few days on the water. Everything ran well until I switched to the port fuel tank. As soon as I tried to accelerate, the engine bogged down. It would die if I didn’t back off. I went back to the starboard tank and all was well. So I know I have a problem with the pickup, fuel line, or fuel switch.

My question is should I replace all the fuel lines since the boat is 15 years old? I’m not sure how long the lines last. I would also replace the flow switch and bulb.

Is this warranted, or am I paranoid...

BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would replace all with premium fuel hose. Does your motor have 90 deg bend hose bend into motor by cowling ? You cant see it if a rigging tube was installed. Yamaha calls it a 90 deg fuel pipe. and it can clink and block fuel.. m2cw
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are multiple points of failure: Hoses, fuel valve, the pickup tube (screen at the end--if so fitted, may be plugged up.), or crud in the pickup tube. Also the anti siphon valve (at the pick up tube head.). Also fuel vent plugged up--ie mud dabber, hornet etc.

Has the boat always been run on non ethanol fuel? What does the fuel water / fuel filter bowl look like. (I check this before each trip-and daily if cruising.)

Quick and dirty, would be to first place the fuel hoses (and check vents)--as noted. (change both hoses while you are at it). Then blow compressed air into the tank. Use a suction valve directly on the hose from that tank, and see if there is resistance. When you change the hoses, good time to check the anti siphon valve, and fuel pickup.

If I was on the water, I would first check the fuel filter bowl. Then work the fuel valve back and forth to see if there was an obstruction (or correct position--Sometimes the fuel selector has been mislabeled. You I carry a double hose barb in my "spares" kit, so I can cross connect hoses and thus do directly from the squeeze bulb (carry an extra of those also)--to try and get fuel from that tank. If it is still restrictive, I would blow air from my high pressure (11.5 PSI) inflatable pump back into the hose, to try and clean any block in the pickup. also consider removing the anti siphon valve. (Not really necessary in the 22--OK ABYC suggests it)..

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
dgeorges

City/Region: Highlands Ranch
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: FRESH FISH
Photos: FRESH FISH
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem when I would switch over to my port tank. I called Moeller, which makes the pick up tubes.

One of their helpful engineers advised that their could be a microscopic vacuum leak where the plastic pickup tube attaches to the aluminum fitting. I replaced the pickup tube (approx $40) and the problem was fixed. Here's the model number for the tube: Moeller 635021-10 22" Flexible Fuel Pick Up Assembly
this type has a well fitting collar which eliminates the problem of a vacuum leak. the tube is designed to be longer then the tank so it will lay on the bottom.

I would still go through he process Bob discussed; when you get to the pickup tube check, you may consider replacing it (get two while you're at it).

good luck

CD 22 Cruiser "FRESH FISH: 2018 to present.
CD 16 Angler "OPA": 2013 to 2019.
SerenityPC

City/Region: Panama City
Vessel Name: Serenity II
Photos: Serenity
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick, this is John Oliver in Panama City a previous owner of you boat. I know when I had it I pulled and cleaned the tanks, I think I may have changed some of the fuel lines ,not sure I have a bad case of CRS .(I didn't change the pick up tubes) only ethanol free fuel when I had it. You may want to check the vents. I've had a problem with dirt dauber building a nest in them.
I have a switch valve on my 22 that I don't uses .I have twins and have one on each tank. If you need it let me know.

2005 19 Angler 2014-2016 SERENITY
2006 22 Cruiser 2016-present SERENITY II
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject: Fuel problem Reply with quote

We have been chasing that Gremlin ever since we installed new tanks Replaced all hoses new filter every few months. Non ethanol always replaced fuel on /off switch Took off priming bulb
Replace pick up tubes
My engine runs fine for an hour or so then start sputtering like fuel starvation I just took off the navman fuel montering system Hopefully will be able to get home today about a 50 mile run out in the Gulf

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject: Fuel problem Reply with quote

We got home but engine sputtered. About an hour into cruise home She never stalled but it was bucking like a bronco then would smooth out ?? I will try to put in new pickup tubes and then see if my fuel pump is faltering after long cruise a few hours or so
She runs great for an hour or so with full tanks (25gallon ea) when each tank gets down to 15 gallons or so it starts sputtering ? Also when I put it on mercury computer no codes?
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 2005 Angler - restricted fuel flow Reply with quote

Yakmandu wrote:
Just got back from a few days on the water. Everything ran well until I switched to the port fuel tank. As soon as I tried to accelerate, the engine bogged down. It would die if I didn’t back off. I went back to the starboard tank and all was well. So I know I have a problem with the pickup, fuel line, or fuel switch.

My question is should I replace all the fuel lines since the boat is 15 years old? I’m not sure how long the lines last. I would also replace the flow switch and bulb.

Is this warranted, or am I paranoid...

How about Water or some sort of shineola in the one tank.
Been there!! Wink
Good luck & replacing all the fuel hose is a good idea any way!!
Yakmandu

City/Region: Lake Lanier
State or Province: GA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Miss April
Photos: Pops GO!
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas everyone.

I have always used non ethanol and fill up both tanks so I don’t think that’s the issue.

John, nice to know a previous owner. I promise to take great care of her!

So, it sounds like I’m going to replace the fuel lines, pickups, bulb, and switch. This will also be a good time to pull the tanks to inspect the area behind/under the tanks. But first, I’m going to make sure the tank is venting properly and the switch isn’t blocked.

Thanks again!
C-Green

City/Region: Houghton
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: C-Green
Photos: C-Green
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 10:01 pm    Post subject: jennykatz problem Reply with quote

Jennykatz,

Sounds like a bad coil or bad coils which do that after heating up. But seems like engine diagnostic computer readout should tell you that.

Jay
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, I was thinking the same thing as Jay. I had a pencil coil go bad, and while I can't remember exactly what it was doing, your issue sounds familiar. (However, my coil went out completely. I don't think my Mercury Code Reader caught a code either.) Colby
thataway

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a bad coil, why is there a problem only when he uses the port fuel tank?
C-Green

City/Region: Houghton
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: C-Green
Photos: C-Green
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thataway,

Jennykatz reported "chasing that Gremlin" and I assumed "that Gremlin" was a sputtering engine at times (apparently after running awhile, hence the coils warmed up) and not a sputtering engine when running off the port tank all the time. Jennykatz can clarify that for us.

Jay
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The o/p Yakmandu reported a problem when running off the port tank. If jennykatz problem is with both tanks perhaps they are different gremlins!

Regards,

Rob

thataway

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Green wrote:
Thataway,

Jennykatz reported "chasing that Gremlin" and I assumed "that Gremlin" was a sputtering engine at times (apparently after running awhile, hence the coils warmed up) and not a sputtering engine when running off the port tank all the time. Jennykatz can clarify that for us.

Jay

Yes threads get highjacked. The original poster has a problem only running on the port tank.....It would be best if there is a different problem to start a separate thread--or at least quote what problem was being addressed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: