The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

generator
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Shore Power Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: generator Reply with quote

I did it, I made that call and ordered a Honda 2000 watter. We thought some electric niceties on the boat would be welcome for our spring adventure.
This is a smoking deal that ends March 1. I got the 2000 watt Honda + a battery charging cord + a marine cover + free shipping for $899.
http://www.thehulltruth.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=82004&start=1

I aim to make a nest for it in the motorwell and am going to see about fabbing up an extension for the exhaust to ensure it doesn't blow back into the boat.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on the purchase of the Honda EU 2000i. I have one, and it is a great unit! That is a great price, and you may have noticed that they have an external fuel tank.

I have some mixed feelings about putting the generator in the motor well--and that is some risk of carbon monoxide getting into the boat. I run mine on a different boat than my C Dory, but put it on a milk crate and on the swim step (tied down)--this gets the exhaust well away from the transom. The Glacier Bay has a specific fiberglass box with vents and an exaust pipe which exits the exhaust from the box--but it is only a couple of inches long. This box sits on the swim step.

If there was some way to thread the exhaust pipe, and then screw on an extension I would be much happier. The area in the well, is subject to wind eddies--and the exhaust gasses would not be swept clear of the boat by a breeze (even minimal)--The specific gravity of CO is very slightly lighter than air--but warm gas will rise, then the carbon monoxide may stay at that level...Certainly put a carbon monoxide detector in the cabin, at the level where you sleep. I would prefer a detector which gives a digital read out of levels. Remember that these detectors should be replaced every 2 to 4 years.

Enjoy the generator!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken-

Congratulations on the new power plant! Once you have 120 VAC, there's no limit to the stuff you can drag aboard! AC, microwave, big screen TV, industrial volume popcorn popper, you name it!!!

Bob's being very understandably cautious about the CO dangers. I have a CO detector in the cabin that was installed with the Force 10 Cozy Cabin propane heater two years ago that works just fine for that considertion.

I presently strap the generator down to a 120 quart cooler directly in front of the engine well with the exhaust facing backward. Seems to work fine.

Whenever I'm running the generator, I seem to have the whole cabin opened up, like during the day, or have the cockpit / cabin door closed, such as during cold weather or at night, so I think the danger of CO build up in the cockpit and then into the cabin is not as great as one might worry about.

With everything (indluding the windows) open, the place is well aired out, and there's almost always a breeze to dissipate the exhaust.

With the cabin closed (and a window or vent cracked), the exhaust that might blow over into the cockpit can't get into the cabin, since the door is closed and there is no intake or vent from there into the cabin, except for the wiring / engine control cutout under the gunnel in the cabin aft bulkhead. I have already stuffed this opening with foam rubber to limit heat loss during the winter heating period.

Another thought that sometime recurrs to me is to clean out the port lazarette locker, which is currently set up as a livewell / baitwell, and permanently install the generator there, connecting it directly to the gas supply below.

One would have to fabricate a good looking cover to extend up over the top of the generator, but we like challenges, no?

Then you could route the exhaust out the back and hardwire the electrical connections as well. Unfortunately, that side of the boat is already a little overweight in the balance sheet, so I would have to move some batteries around to compensate.

I'm sending you the slew of Shasta Lake maps this weekend! We're having 70-80 degree weather this week. The trees are already blooming, and Spring is in the air!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A CO detector is inexpensive and good for peace of mind. We were surprised when we were running our Honda EU 2000i on the cockpit floor on the CD25, exhaust facing transom and cabin door closed, that our CO detector alarm went off. Now we put the generator on top of the cooler, so the exhaust is blowing directly over the motorwell off to one side, and no problems since making that change. I too would like to come up with some semi-permanent mounting solution, and it sure seems like part of it is somehow fitting the exhaust with an extension that a hi-temp hose could either clamp or screw on to...

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CONGRATS ON THE GENERATOR. I should really be looking now between hurricane seasons.....

OK Pat.... go ahead and have RedFox put his new welding toy to work and build you one of those engine box covers with a nice shelf on it that the genset could be mounted on. Or, I guess you could also get David a nice amount of Teak .....and have a pretty wood one.

Read an article on I think it was Mario Andretti almost punching out from the gases when just hanging out in the water between his sponsons on a catamaran.

RVs at the ball games parked close together are now using some type of long tall tube as to get the fumes up and out from between the units parked close together....as lends itself to being a bit more cautious when rafted up or at a marina and burning the gen set.... Not all marinas have shore power.
B~C

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CO? Mike told me not to worry about that, says it helps you sleep better.
A CO detector would be prudent. When I get the thing I'll fiddle around and find a good safe spot for it. That is a helluva sale they're having, I checked all around these parts and even with the Sportsman show super duper sale the locals couldn't get closer than a $100 on the price.

Joe, looking forward to that info & plotting our adventure...catch you later
Flat Iron

City/Region: Sacramento
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the gen., I put my Honda EU2000i on top of one of my big coolers, same as you Joe, exhaust pointing rearward. Only use is during the summer months anyway when everything on the boat, door/windows/bow hatch is open. Seemed like a pretty safe way to me.

Those little buggers sure come in handy for running my stuff, DVD players, laptop, fans, satellite radio, tv, and even my George Foreman grill.

Dan & Jan
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run my 2000 in the motor well. I built a platform which sits level (the floor of the motor well slopes to the stern). I carry the generator in the cockpit when underway and then place it on the platform when I use it. The exhaust points straight out the back well clear of the fiberglass. I also have a detector in the cabin down low by the entrance to the V berth.

I guess I should trim the platform in teak to stay with-in what is expected of me.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
Hunky_Dory_Little_Cayman

City/Region: Little Cayman, Cayman Islands
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Hunky Dory
Photos: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my 1000 watt Honda from the same Wise Sales. Great prices and service.

I also saw the extended run tank they sell for $100.00. I use my generator to power my A/C and would like to run it all night. These Honda's run about 4-5 hours on a tank.

Does anyone know how these extended run tanks work? Does the vacuum from the motor pull the fuel into the built in tank? Why does this tank costs so much I wonder? Why could we hook up a line to the existing fuel tank? One problem I guess is where you put the generator. If it was setting up on the rear deck how in the world would the fuel get up the 2' high to the generator? Hmmmm.....questions, questions.

Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Yahoo Group called Honda_EU2000_generators and in it is a wealth of information regarding the EU2000 generator which, I understand, has the same fuel system as the EU1000. In any case, join it and go to the photo section for some great ideas.

Don
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RV guys were taking a standard 3 gallon fuel tank, getting an extra cap for the EU2000 and putting a hose barb on it, to secure the fuel line with double hose clamps--in this configuration, the vacuum of the fuel tank pulls fuel over. As I understand it, you start with the tank close to full, and use the primer bulb to fill the line.

The reason I worry about the CO (aside from the fact I am a retired MD who treated some fatal cases of CO poisoning) is that there are several reports of boats where the genset of one boat, was near the cockpit of another boat--and deaths occured from the exhaust of the boat "next door". Please don't take the risks.

Regards,
B~C

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Yahoo site is full of good info. It sounds like I can pick up a Harmony gas cap from Home Depot, seal it up and install a Honda fuel line fitting to it and plug right into the boat fuel tank for extended, overnight generator fun.

I picked up a CO detector the other day, cheap insurance.
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had CO poisoning once. 36 years ago I was hunting with my uncle. He had a VW bus & we slept in it. One night he placed a Coleman lantern by my head and forgot to turn it off. I was asleep. (Almost didn’t wake up.) The next morning when he tried to wake me, I knew something was wrong. I had the worst headache I had ever had. Could not move. He placed me in the back of the VW and I laid there drifting in and out of consciousness for three days. To this day I am very susceptible to CO poisoning. It takes just a little to cause a bad headache.

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

I'm sure Bob Austin can tell us - but I've had lots of Co2 problems because of flying the old prop aircraft. I was told that Co2 is cumulative in your blood. I've very sensitive to it now and must be extremely careful. A little bit really makes me super sick.

BTW I really enjoy your Lake Chelan pix. One of our favorite areas and you have great story pictures of the area. Good job.

Dusty

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the long term CO poisoning is in and of itself not a cumulative toxin. That is, eventually CO is cleared from the body (unlike many heavy metals which are not cleared from the body). CO poisons by binding to hemoglobin (a blood protein) and preventing it from carrying oxygen from the lungs to other parts of the body. CO poisoning is similar in mechanism to cyanide posioning as cyanide also ties up hemoglobin.

HOWEVER, the damage caused to various organs and tissues can be cumulative and long lasting. Frequent problems include long term brain, lung and heart damage. The symptoms may be delayed by weeks or longer and can include, confusion, fatigue, memory loss, vision problems, dizziness and weakness. Recent research also suggests that CO can damage myelin basic protein (MBP) a protein in the sheaths surrounding neurons. MBP is also damaged in multiple sclerosis so there are some similarities to the long term effects of CO poisioning and MS.

The amount of damage can be reduced by getting the person to a hyperbaric chamber in which they are exposed to high doses of oxygen at high pressure and possibly can be reduced by treating with an anti-inflammatory. Hence if you suspect CO poisioning, don't hang around waiting for the person's condition to improve but rather seek immediate treatment.

As an aside CO= carbon monoxide which is not = CO2 or carbon dioxide. CO2 is for the most part harmless unless it displaces all the air in a given volume - which by the way can happen from storing a cooler with dry ice in an enclosed compartment - like a boat. CO2 does not bind hemoglobin and it's safe to breath as long as you are also getting some oxygen. CO is unsafe at very low levels as it outcompetes oxygen in binding to hemoglobin.

Dusty - next time you're in trouble for forgettin' something or feeling a bit confused blame it on the CO poisoning! For better or worse, I have no such excuse.

Roger on the SeaDNA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Shore Power Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: