View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fishcatcher907

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Legacy
Photos: Legacy
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Fuel flow meter Reply with quote

Who has installed a nmea compatible flow meter for a carbureted Honda on their boat?
I just picked up a 2005 with a Honda 90 (4 carb engine) and it looks to be kind of a gas guzzler. The setup is wrong. I need to work on some different combinations and would like to get accurate data.
Which flow meter did you buy. I’m installing a new 9” echo map plus that’s nmea 2000 Compatible and I figured I would give it a try.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the Garmin, the Lowrance (Simrad), and RayMarine. Almost any of them will work fine with the Honda 90---no fuel flow data with the carburated engines. The Honda 90 is pretty much the standard on most of the 22's. It is possible that the engine is mounted too far down. Also trimming the bow down too much can be an issue, especially if there is no chop.

All of the above rely on NMEA 2000 networks. So you have to choose the one which is related to your instruments. (MFD) Maretron also makes a fuel flow sensor. The cheapest stand alone will probably be the Lowrance EP60 with LMF 200 and a MNEA 2000 backbone. Best if you can add a sensor to your own multi function display (MFD). I have run all three major manufactures and they are all about the same.

FlowScan used to be a stand alone--but they seem to be out of business--although there is a repair facility. There is a web site still up. Also pricey.

I believe that Marco Flamingo has a Digiflow meter, which installs in the line, and not expensive. However I believe it may not have remote readout.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Lowrance LMF-200 and EP-60R sensor. It works fine. Like was mentioned, you'll need a NMEA 2000 network to use it. A network backbone and associated wiring is about $100.

If you want the LMF-200 to compute range and mpg you'll also need a NMEA 2000 compatible GPS system.

If you have a NMEA 2000 network and a modern chartplotter, you may only need the fuel flow sensor. You can find them for ~$160.

The only issue I have with the Lowrance FF system is that if it is on and the voltage sags too low during an engine start, all the settings and data get lost. If the unit is switched off during a start this does not happen. The manual suggests wiring it into the ignition switch, but I found having a separate power switch works better. I switch the system off before starting the engine.

Newer Honda engines (e.g. BF100) are NMEA compatible now.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ssobol brings up a good point about low battery voltage and any electronics. I run the electronics on the house battery. With a Voltage sensitive relay (VSR) between the engine start battery, and the house battery, there will be no voltage drop. The two batteries are isolated at the time of engine start, but when the engine battery reaches 13.6 or so volts, the batteries combine, and then the house battery charges off the engine alternator. The electronics are protected. Many years ago I lost a very expensive set of instruments due to voltage spikes during engine start--every since I have isolated electronics from starting battery.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Faria (no longer made). I bought an inexpensive Digiflow (<$50), but never installed it because I found a NOS Faria unit on Ebay. I've been impressed with the Faria's ability to accurately compute overall usage. For real time usage, it jumps around a bit and I have to mentally average the immediate usage rate. For instance, when on plane it might waiver between 4.5 and 4.8 mpg, with an occasional seemingly random 4.3 or 5.0 reading for a second. A more expensive unit may contain an algorithm to smooth out those readings. That might be beneficial or simply give one a false sense of accuracy.

The benefit for me is an alarm that goes off at 5 gallons remaining and an accuracy over the entire tank usage (23 gallons) within 2/10ths of a gallon. Much better than watching my analog needle waive back and forth from empty to one half full. Plus, it can be switched to liters when in Canada.

The Faria unit sold new for about $200. It would be hard to recoup that by using it to gain maximum efficiency on a CD 16. If using it allowed me to increase my overall rate from 7.1 to 7.3 mpg, it would still take me 50 years to pay for the gauge. For me, knowing that I have 7.2 gallons left in the tank is the reason that I love it.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On some (all?) fuel injected engines the fuel flow from the tank to the engine is not constant. This is most noticeable a low speeds where the FF may alternate between zero and some value regularly even while the engine is running smoothly.

The computed MPG can be affected by this from time to time and also if the speed is GPS based, there can be variations in the computed speed based on the quality of the GPS solution.
Fishcatcher907

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Legacy
Photos: Legacy
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the information guys.
I haven’t decided what system I’m going to go with just yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: