View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gene&Mary

City/Region: Seattle/Center Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Linnea
Photos: Linnea
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:42 pm    Post subject: Trailer Swivel Jack Reply with quote

My trailer swivel jack just seized up. Couldn't get it to go up or down. We have an EZ Loader trailer with the stock swivel jack, about one year old. We had lubricated the tube and greased it in the last month.

Any suggestions on a manufacturer for a new one and how is it routinely maintained?

Thanks
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene and Mary, Ahhha, the dreaded swivel jack, landing gear freeze-up and failure. So, after going thru 2 Wilton jacks, and now my third, Dutten-Lainson (which I thought would be a better one, I am with you on this one too.

Not sure what you meant by "the stock swivel jack" as those are parts not made by EZ Loader, but there should be a brand name on that jack and those are the people you need to contact. If not, call EZ Loader and get the info from them.

I replaced my first ones, first upgrading to a dual wheel, higher weight rating, and then after that one froze up, again upgraded to a "better" jack. I launch and retrieve in salt water so do a thorough wash down after each dip, and I have greased until the whole column is now packed with grease and it still is frozen. (Believe me, a good floor jack is worth it's weight here.)

When the Dutton-Lainson 6800A jack seized, I called the company. Their cure, I buy a $13 fix kit, and they would send me some Youtube links to see how to fix it. YUP, I had to buy the parts. Next I will see if I can follow the UTube bit and make it work again.

I sure hope there are some better cures out there than doing this job every year or so.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Journey On's trailer (EZ Loader) came with a Fulton Marine Jack - Square Tube, Fixed Mount - 28" Lift - 5,000 lbs. No wheel, thought that's got nothing to do with the screw. In 15 years, salt water it's worked well. Just replaced it; we'll see how the replacement does.

The jack doesn't get into the water, so I'm wondering how salt water corrodes it?

Boris
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So with 5 boats in the yard all with jacks I can say that one of the causes is cranking it ALL the way up. Crank it up then back off a turn and you will have less , but not no , problems. Also use them. once a month in the winter go out and crank it up and down the whole way. Looks and feels stupid, " hey bob you going boating?" " No I am just cranking my jack on a 20 degree day in january, why do you ask?" Remember its not stupid if it works.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss named my original 2 jacks. They were Fulton, not Wilton -- Wilton makes the Vices. Have never had my jacks in the salt water either, but such as it is.

Tom. Do you keep yours greased? I have literally filled the tube with grease on mine.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far with going into the 19th boating season & two boating trailers with many other trailers before that & I’ve never had a trailer jack failure. Also never used grease on the jack. I think Tom has it right, don’t extend the jack all the way up, but if you do, back off a bit. The boat has been stored on the trailer all of the off season time periods & never messed with the jack during the storage time. Not saying it might be better to do as Tom says there, while in storage, but I never have with all my trailers.

My swivel jacks have all been Fulton.

I did have a failure on one of my Happi jack electric truckcamper jacks & it was caused by raising the jack to far, when taking the camper weight back off the jack.

Jay

Gene&Mary

City/Region: Seattle/Center Island
Vessel Name: Linnea
Photos: Linnea
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Fulton XLT. It has 3 zerk fittings, one for the handle to shaft gears, a second below for the shaft (I assume) and a third at the bottom for the wheel rotation. It also has a seal between the tubes so salt water can't enter between the tubes.

Hope this one lasts longer than 1 year.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knock on wood, but my experience with the boat trailer tongue jacks is like Jay's. Or for any trailer I've owned. Once in a while I'll grease them, but not all that often. Colby
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My longest lasting jack was on a boat where the jack got an occassional dunking in saltwater. Early on, I had turned it upside down when the trailer was on the hitch. I poured quite a bit of used crankcase oil down the leg, which then poured out around the handle and gear. A ugly, goopy mess that pickled the innerds with oil, resulting in a multi-year jack.

My new one is from Bass Pro Shop (probably a rebadged Fulton heavy duty) and receives better care with SaltAway and fresh water rinses.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: