The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Dory right for San Diego?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rkremenek

City/Region: san diego
State or Province: CA
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject: Dory right for San Diego? Reply with quote

Hi there. First time here - great site!

I currently own a 12' Zodiac that I routinely launch out of La Jolla, San Diego to fish, but I am at a point in my life where I would like to get my first, actual seaworthy boat. I like the 22' Dory Angler, but have a few questions:

1. Will it take me there and back safely, given say a maximuma 25 mile radius out of San Diego? (weather not crazy, etc.)
2. I know this is not a fast boat, but considering the 2-4' waves that we routinely encounter here, how fast can you travel over something like this is a flat bottom boat? 10-12?
3. I have never been in a Dory. I am 6'4" - problem?
4. Is anyone here from San Diego? I would love to see how these boats handle in open seas. Anyway I could go out with you sometime?

Thank you in advance for any helpful tips!

Richard

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard,
Welcome aboard. Although I am not from San Diego, I have sailed out of there many times. My son has a C Dory 25 in Dana Point Marina.

You should be OK with 6'4", which is the same height as my son. He has more head room in the 25. He felt the bunk was tight--and sleeps mostly on the Dinette, but in the C Dory 25 "cruise ship" this is larger than the standard and later built 25. There are only a very few of the "Cruise Ships" built in the 90's. A larger person can sleep in the V bunk, but you will probably not be able to stretch out fully.

If you get a "high top" 22, it will have more headroom in the middle of the boat.

As to the seaworthyness--they are seaworthy. 2' chop is about the limit of running into waves and head seas. The big pacific rollers are fine--gong down wind and seas--you can handle larger seas. For any thing larger than 2' chop, you have to put the bow down, using trim tabs and a foil "Permatrim".

It will be a lot better than the 12' zodiac (which is a great inflatable). People take the C Dory to Catalina--and generally there is a bit more wind up off that part of the coast. I have taken many small boats, (including a 12' inflatable). to Catalina.
I had an 18' deep V (Ray Hunt design) runabout, I would take across no matter what the weather--wet, and had to slow down. If you head out in the C Dory early in the day--before 11 AM--you should have no problem going out 25 miles. But go the direction the wind will come from that day--the Westerlies are pretty predictable, except the katabatibc Santa Ana types, or winter Southerly or Northerly storms. Those should be well predicted. You should be able to run back to San Diego by mid afternoon, at 12 to 15 knots. Top speed in a C Dory is going to be close to 30 mph, light boat.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
rkremenek

City/Region: san diego
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the prompt and informative reply!

Seeing that you are no newbie to boat ownership, and have owned many different types of hulls, if you were in my shoes would you get a Dory for around here, or a v hull - I am also considering a 17-19' Trophy or Parker?
These would likely be center consoles, so I understand I am probably asking you to compare apples to oranges and yes, they will probably get me wet, but speaking just in terms of handling the Pacific and maybe speed?

Thank you!
Richard
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we live in San Diego County and use San Diego Bay as a get-away spot.

So where you want to fish will determine what you should buy. If you want to fish inshore, the C-Dory will do fine. If you want to fish Cortes Bank, I'd look at a deep-v hull to get there and back in a timely fashion.

The 25 is more stable than a 22 just by the virtue of size. We've fished off Oceanside and the Pt Loma kelp banks with no trouble. Also we've seen a 22 that fishes off Santa Cruz Island.

Most of the small (<25) fishing boats I've seen in San Diego are open walk-around types. The C-Dorys do offer a cabin and some living amenities, but there are few in SD.

As far a sleeping in the V-berth, I'm (or was) 6' 2" and just barely fit into the V-berth with Judy. 6' 4" would be cramped.

Boris
Barry Rietz

City/Region: Sierra Vista
State or Province: AZ
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:25 pm    Post subject: C-Dory in San Diego? Reply with quote

Richard, San Diego and especially Shelter Island was my home for over 30 years during which time I enjoyed both power and sail boating. The 22' C-Dory would be the perfect boat for both the bay and near shore ocean activities. With the typical 90 HP motor you will be able to get back to either Mission Bay or San Diego Bay in quick order. The larger boats you mentioned would not be as easy to trailer as the C-Dory 22'. When considering all aspects of a small power vessel, the C-Dory 22 wins hands down every time!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get out in the Morning, and go up wind, or at least beam to the wind, you C Dory is do-able. I have run my son's 25 in the chop around Dana Point (less than around Point Fermin). But you are not gong to run fast into chop as the seas build up.

If you want speed in all conditions--a cat or the deep V would be better. Center Consoles have never been as popular in S. Calif as the cabin type of boats--as you noted--you will get wetting. The deep V will use more fuel, they will be slightly less stable at rest.

The compromise is a "Walk around"--I have owned a Grady White--and although not a really deep V--they do handle the chop better. But my Grady at 22 feet, came with a 150, and I ended up with a 225 HP outboard...So fuel use will be more. You can put full canvas, or even a hard top on a Grady. Parker is moderate V and will do better, but not as well as Contender, or Regulator. Trophy is pretty much in the same category as the hull of the Parker.

What the C Dory offers is a cruising boat. Also good for fishing and diving...but not hard core in rough weather.
rbfconstruction

City/Region: huntington beach
Photos: Angler Management
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject: dory right for San Diego Reply with quote

simple answer... yes. slow down and be comfy. I stayed at the Dana in S.D. for a week and fished all over. The question is - Do you want a pilot house.
Richard

I get into some fairly rough water here in OC and with a whale tail on the outboard and slowing down... PERFECT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: