Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeanie P

City/Region: Alexandria
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Jeanie P - sold 11/08
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Radar Mounts Reply with quote

On CD22's, I see radar mounted flush to the roof just behind the running light. I see some on their own bracket and some mounted on arches. Is there any problems to flush mounting on a CD22?

Other than being able to slide a dinghy under it, what is the advantage to having a arch? Are they custom made for CD22 or can they be purchased from existing stock? Where is the best place to order?
Thanks.

Allan
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice to have a dedicated "tool rack" where you can install lots of stuff without drilling more holes in the roof. Even things like the VHS antenna and the gps puck can get in the way when mounted on the the roof handrails. Also a great place to put rod holders. I don't have one, but often wished I did. I think a seach of previos treads will show some recommended vendors.

"...we're all in the same boat..."

Last edited by dotnmarty on Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raising the height of the radar antenna by 2 feet or so will, (slightly) increase the effective range of the radar; either a mast or an arch can do this. The arch is not inherently necessary for storing a dinghy on the cabin roof, one could tie it down just as well without an arch. In my case the arch mounts the radar higher, provides a place to mount the GPS and radio antennae and is likely going to be the place I mount my MOB retrieval system. Fisherfolk like to put rodholders on the arch. Were I to do it over again, I would still go with the tall arch. Contact the factory and they should be able to help you with a supplier, warning, arches are not cheap.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not mounted one flush--just because I want it above the GPS antennas which are mounted flush or on short pedistals. The vertical meam of the radars are about 30 degrees, so you like to have it clear the top of the cabin--thus I like a short pedistal.

Personally I have not had the radar arch--The other antennas fit well on the roof, and less stress in one place. But that is not a huge issue. The arch puts more weight aloft, it makes the boat higher. I don't have the need for a set of rod holders up high--but some folks like those rocket launchers.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 2KW dome on top of my 22, Captain's Choice. It was on a 10" pedestal and I thought it was a little high. I've got a 8" one with a 2 degree forward rake for Captain's Cat to mount the 4KW dome on. Hopefully, next week! There's a mount for a remote "GOLIGHT" searchlight on the front of it and a mount for either GPS or anchor light coming out of the back above the dome. The old one had the anchor light mount but not the searchlight one.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Rick from Maine

City/Region: No. Berwick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Radar Mounts Reply with quote

Hi Allan,

Flush mounting radar works fine on my 22’ C-Dory. Since I sometimes carry an inflatable on the roof, I mounted the dome so that its aft end is even with the Nav/anchor light. The dome extends on to the brow with custom made wooden blocks, so there is still room to carry an 8’ inflatable behind the dome with the Nav/anchor light in position.

There are photos of my boat that show the radar dome in
Cruises and Event photos Champlain Foliage , Erie Canal, and Rideau Canal cruises.

Rick from Maine
mpmccoy

City/Region: La Habra Heights
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Sea Queen
Photos: Sea Queen
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My flush mount works fine too although I will be putting an arch on soon.
I have a roll up dingy and like to store it on the roof. While an inflated dingy over the top of a flush mount works fine a rolled up one is apparently too dense and blocks my rear signal. My wife recently got G.A.S. and bought an inflatlable kayak so I need some more room up top.

I rubber mounted my flush mounted so the vibration when broadcasting isn't amplified by the roof. Nothing fancy just some good quality garden hose gaskets worked fine.

Jeanie P

City/Region: Alexandria
Vessel Name: Jeanie P - sold 11/08
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Radar Mounts Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.
Charlie, let us know how you did after you finish your radar project.
Any problems or suggestion.

Allan
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Mount Reply with quote

Charlie...what mount did you get? I'm going to be using the Seaview 10" aft leaning mount with a light bar and 2 degree base wedge. (Accoding to a chart I found the Furuno has a 20 degree vertical sweep, Raymarine has 25 degrees). I will mount the GPS puck at the top of this light bar.

Did the light bar ever cause any sort of blind spot on your C-22? I know something large like a mast can cause that but supposedly not a VHF antenna or small pole like a light bar.

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, it's a SEA SCAN mount aft leaning with a built in downward tilt (2deg I think), a light/gps mount (above the dome) on the back and a platform for a GOLIGHT remote spotlight on the front. Bought it on E-Bay. Never noticed any interference problem with the light support on the old boat.

Charlie
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captains Cat wrote:
Never noticed any interference problem with the light support on the old boat.
Charlie

Charlie, I'm aware that what you mean by interference in the above quote refers to interference with the radar......however, if we expand this conversation further, I would add that if operating a roof mounted Go Light on a vessel with a bow railing, glare is projected off the bow rail by the light. On my 16' Cruiser, I had a Go Light mounted on the roof and although it was "doable", the glare was a bit of a distraction. On my 22' Cruiser, the Go Light is mounted on top of the bow rail and is much more desirable.

C-Brat #16

Last edited by DaveS on Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Mount Reply with quote

Nice integrated rig! I was thinking of using Sea Scan as well. There are several brands out there and most look pretty good.

The first thing I did when I got my mount was to make sure the pre-drilled bolt holes matched up to the bottom of my radar. They matched up perfectly but I wanted to make sure before I started anything else! The mounts for Raymarine will not fit Furuno or Garmin for example according to the mount manufacturers.
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave. Thought about that and will either put black tape or "paint" of some sort on the back side of the bow rail where it has the potential to reflect back in my eyes. Thought the height would be an asset. Thanks for the comment! Wink The TC bow rail is perpendicular to the front of the cabin top as it goes the width of the wide bow...

Charlie
peterljones

City/Region: Port Townsend
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: C-Dory radar arches. Reply with quote

C-Dory factory has three different sizes of arches that give the following clearances. 17", 23", 29".
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captains Cat wrote:
Thanks Dave. Thought about that and will either put black tape or "paint" of some sort on the back side of the bow rail where it has the potential to reflect back in my eyes.
Charlie

Charlie,
I never did attempt to remedy the "glare" problem on my 16', as I seldom was on the water at night and when I was the usage was relatively brief. However, if you feel the need to cut down on the glare, I always considered using black/gray pipe insulation and securing it with snap ties.
Probably the most beneficial the light ever was to me, was when I pivoted my Go Light 90 degrees in order to direct the beam directly off the port side of the 16' to illuminate the beach from the water, so friends of mine could see to move camping equipment that was staged on the beach up to their campsite.
Obviously, with the way the Go-Light is mounted on the 22', I can still do the 90 degree or direct the beam dead ahead.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: