View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 11:38 pm    Post subject: Backup chart plotter system Reply with quote

I am considering options for a backup chart plotter and depth sounder. My Raymarine C80 display is having some issues and after doing some research I think it can be fixed but even so would like a backup system. Seaward Marine advertises on Ebay to repair the displays with a one year warranty.

Has anyone used the Navionics "Boating HD" app? I used it a little on my phone and it seems to be pretty good. I want to try it on a larger screen and find out how you could add depth. It also seems to have access to Active Captain but my free trail ran out before I figured out how to work it.

Any suggestions on apps and tablets would be appreciated. Is there any way to use the Raymarine radar with any of the apps or anything other than the C80 display? I don't really want to spend a lot on an new system but would like to keep or improve the functionality I currently have.

Thanks for your input.
Steve
LakeHouse4305

State or Province: WI
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't speak to Raymarine since I've only used Lowrance and Garmin. However, I use the Navionics app on my Samsung tablet as a backup and also for trip planning at hotels when on the road before launching. At home I use it on my desktop PC for planning purposes - - to find launch sites, check depths (available on paid version, maybe not trial) and scope out potential boating areas. At home I switch between Navionics and Google maps satellite view to sort out possible anchorages, etc.

I haven't been that impressed with Active Captain because some of the information is not current and there don't seem to be that many reviews.
little wing

City/Region: Oakland
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Toots
Photos: Toots
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Navionics on my android phone & tablet for years. I love it. It's an easy to use fully functional chart plotter, and it's dirt cheap. My favorite feature is being able to adjust the water level to account for the year to year variation we get on the great lakes. Along with Active Captain, you will find Navionics user data ("community edits") as well, you just have to look a little closer to find it.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way to use the older RayMarine Radar except on the RayMarine Multi Function Display (MFD).

Many of us use Navoinics on tablets: I use it on I pad. I still get a free (not up to date with latest LNTM). Mostly use for planning, since I have several displays. Some have used the App to do long voyages such as the 6,000 mile "Great Loop".
The tablet has to have a GPS antenna, but does not need to be connected to wifi or a cell network if the charts are downloaded ahead of time.

My Navionics does not have Active Captain--but since Garmin now owns Navoinics, I would not be surprised if they currently did have Active Captain. There seems to be less updates to Active Captain, since it was purchased by Garmin. There are not a whole lot of places to cruise to in S. Calif.

I just reviewed the Active Captain on line map, the non updated Garmin Blue Chart The Aqua Map (which is a site which does keep the updated active captain, but has poorer depth information and the Navionics app (not updated), I looked at the S. Calif Coast and Channel Islands, where I boated for over 50 years. There is relatively little Active Captain information and it is poorly updated in this area.

Active Captain can be a good planing tool still. Like any crowd sourced material, there can be errors. When Jeff Siegel owned and developed Active Captain, there were volunteers who checked the information as it was sent in. I don't know if that has continued. Also you have to be part of the "Garmin club" to post or modify now. Some posters left the fold when the app was sold to Garmin.

I use Aqua Maps for planning. They do show street, Topographical features, and stores, hospitals etc. You do have to download and update segments ahead of time to ue this app in the field. We found it to be good on the river systems.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Gene Morris

City/Region: Eureka CA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Reef Madness
Photos: Reefmadness
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use the Navionics app on an iPad Pro 12.9. Great monitor and program. I use my Garmin while cruising on the water but, I also refer to the iPad the the Admiral has mounted on her side.

All in All I am very satisfied with the program and impressed with the dock to dock function.

Gene

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use MxMariner on an Android tablet. It allows downloading of NOAA charts and the ActiveCaptain database for offline use. The designer of MXMariner has promised being able to use USACE charts as well but so far that has not happened yet.
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use AquaMap on my iPad
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option is installing another MFD and transducer.
ex
A Garmin Echomap 94SV with 9" screen with G2 charts starts at $500 and up.
little wing

City/Region: Oakland
Vessel Name: Toots
Photos: Toots
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spend the $15 ($22 is you want to include Canada) on Boating HD and be done with it. As a primary or backup chart plotter, you will have no regrets.
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply's. It looks like no one has added a depth sounder to one of the apps. I will probably look into having the c80 repaired and using the Navionics app on a tablet as back up for now.
thataway

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several WiFi apps for depth finder, but they are stand alone items costing about $200--WiFish, SonarPhone, Deeper Pro.

Hummingbird, RayMarine, Garmin and Navico products all have wifi transmission of the screens of the depth sounder to I pad. But you have to upgrade to new and better technology.
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This "quick and dirty" worked for me.

Last season, my Raymarine C80 went kaput while I was on the water. I felt very exposed and rather naked. Didn't like that feeling at all! I have since purchased a used C80 and am back up and running, but I don't want to be blind like that again.

My iPad has no cell feature so it can't do GPS. However, I purchased this Bad Elf unit for $100. Plugged into my iPad, it gives me a backup plotter. No depth sounder, but since the Navionics charts show me the depths, I can navigate away from any shallow water or rocks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G2BX616/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A23M3KL3V61UGY
Baxter

City/Region: Sheridan
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Baxter ll
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Back up chart plaotter Reply with quote

For years Have used I Pad with CELL GPS in it no ned to activate it with service
just buy the one that is cell capabile.
I have Raymarine it works fine but not as big and quick as the Ipad.
Of course doesn't have radar.

Funjo has a wireless radat $1000 that works with I pad.
I already have back-up depth sound which I pad will not do.

I pad has Blue Charts by Garmin installed and active captain. Used
East and West coast is great. I was setting I pad in from of the Raymaire rode
just right.
but I just built special holder for May trip to Friday Harbor Gathering.

You are only one that can decide what is best for you.

pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy an NMEA 2000 depth sounder for under $300. Then set up your iPad to read NMEA 2000... https://digitalyacht.net/2013/01/22/getting-nmea-data-to-an-ipad-or-iphone/
thataway

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For $149 you can buy WiFish, basically a depth finder by RayMarine, with No screen which sends the information directly to the I phone or I pad via wifi.

Here is info on WiFish.

I suspect that getting a $300 depth finder with NMEA 2000 will be way for more complicated than plug and play of the above item.

PCG writes:
Quote:
You can buy an NMEA 2000 depth sounder for under $300. Then set up your iPad to read NMEA 2000... https://digitalyacht.net/2013/01/22/getting-nmea-data-to-an-ipad-or-iphone/

That article was written in 2013, 6 years ago. it requires a $120 "Sonar Server" which attaches to your existing depth finder using NMEA 0183 technology--not NMEA 2000 (which would add another layer of complexity)

Quote:

.Wireless Sonar Server for connection to NMEA0183 compatible Depth and GPS Systems. Enables SonarCharts™ “Live” feature of the Navionics Boating App (V7.4 or higher) by wirelessly streaming Depth and GPS data to your mobile device. Simple two wire connection to the boat’s 12v or 24v DC supply and a fully isolated 2 wire NMEA0183 connection to the boat’s depth system.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: