The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

C-Dory 25

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marc1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:36 am    Post subject: C-Dory 25 Reply with quote

Hi there!
On the market for a planing cruiser and stumbled on the c- dory.
I keep my boats in the water permanently since I have my own mooring pontoon. Would this be a problem with the 25 due to balsa core? Need to cover it or can it stay in the weather?
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blasa in the CD-25 isn't an issue, as long as you don't breach the bottom of the hull and properly seal anything you screw into the hull from the inside.

Bottom paint (even if you are storing it on a lift) wouldn't hurt; and if the boat is living outside all the time on your lift, a cover for the boat would help keep the gelcoat in better shape.

it's a great boat and a smart design.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of the C Dory are kept in the water full time. But, it would be a good idea to cover the cockpit with a "slant back". The hatches in most 25's deck leak to some degree--fuel tank, and bilge is underneath.

As Jim notes the balsa is well sealed in fiberglass, but any screw hole in the bottom needs to be routed out, an epoxy plug put in, and the bolt or screw thru the epoxy--so no chance of water to the core. This holds true for 80% plus of boats which have some compost core in their decks. Unfortunately there are few if any, builders who do this proper sealing of a hole in a cored structure.

We need to know where you live, and what the conditions are at your dock. I have both a dock and a boat lift on my property. I don't always keep the boat in the water, since we also "Boater home"--that is stay in the boat, on the trailer, as we pull the boat to various destinations.

The slant back cockpit cover is on the boat all of the time, even on dry land. (Unless the full winter cover is on). My son's 25 is kept in Dana Point Harbor Calif. full time in the water, and he tells me that the bilge has no water in it. He keeps a slant back over the back, in an area with little rain.

Any boat which is kept in the water need to have an epoxy barrier coat done, then bottom paint. This will prevent osmotic blistering. Blisters are rare in C Dory's--probably because most are trailered, or have epoxy jobs done on the bottom.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: