The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

First stop out of Anacortes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thechadmiller

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Agostino
Photos: Agostino
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject: First stop out of Anacortes Reply with quote

I’m thinking we’ll get a late start out of Anacortes heading to the San Juan’s. What’s your vote for the first night stop without having to cruise too long? James Island looked promising.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watmough Bay is a nice quiet place. You can anchor or they have a few buoys. South east end of Lopez Island.

Eagle Harbor in Cypress Island is good, also.

Boris
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2016
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will you be launching out of Cap Sante or Washington Park? If Cap Sante, the sling launch operation hours would mean you are in the water by about 5 PM at the latest, which is plenty of time to get anywhere in the San Juans before dark this time of year. If starting later from Washington Park, the options of James or Watmough are good ones - James has a nice new (longer) dock, and a dock destination is always nice for late starts, so as not to have to bother with a dinghy late in the evening if you want to get to shore. As suggested, Eagle Harbor is great, 14 free DNR buoys to discourage anchoring (to protect the eel grass), and 4 more buoys just south at Cypress Head, depending on wind direction. Lots of small anchorages in these parts too, if you are comfortable anchoring. A little further than James would be Spencer Spit if you just want to grab a buoy for the night...it's probably my least favorite of all the state park anchorages, although others are fond of it, so it's worth a try at least once. Getting a late start out of Twin Bridges (near Anacortes), the 6nm to Cap Sante Marina itself is a frequent first overnight stop for me - lots of dining options, a grocery store to get provisions for the trip, and shore power to run the electric heater (it is still chilly at night this time of year). Also a large West Marine store across the street in case you forget any marine necessities.
Hope to see you out there - I too will likely be cruising around off and on during the 2 weeks prior to FH. Or possibly after. All depends on work priorities.
-Mike

thechadmiller

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. We’ll be launching out of Washington Park. Watched a couple of videos, James seems like a nice start to the trip after a long day of trailering up from Portland.

Hope to see you out and about. Feel free to text me and maybe we can meet up. We’ll have your Kaboat if you wanna give it a hug.
nimrod

City/Region: Mount Vernon
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: 'Berta's Boy
Photos: 'Berta's Boy
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dock at Washington Park was pulled because of winter damage. Make sure to call ahead before finalizing your plans. It can also be VERY busy there and difficult if not impossible to find parking for your rig.

Cornet Bay is an excellent alternative.
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad,

Another alternative would be to launch out of Everett and store your truck and trailer at Tom and Susan's (starcraftbottom) place not to far from the ramp. His rates for storage are reasonable and he has Smith and Wesson for security. It is nice to not have to worry about your trailer being messed with or missing altogether at the end of your trip. Works well for travels of two or more weeks at a time.

Gary and Colleen on DayBreak
thechadmiller

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I called and Washington Park is open. We have friends who live about a 10 minute walk from there and we can keep our truck/trailer there for free.
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Nice to have good friends in good places!
LakeHouse4305

State or Province: WI
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we left out of Anacortes our first night was moored at Spencer Spit. On the way back we spent the last night at James Island SP. The problem with James is limited space at the pier and if late in the day you may have to push onwards.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Island is great if there is space. There are bouys the east side. I would not use them. open to the channel and all the ferry traffic wakes. Watmough bay is great unless the wind is out of the east. Spencer spit is good and easy to dinghy to shore. just get on the none wind side. You will still get wind as its a very low spit but it will cut down on the chop. If you are coming thru Lopaz pass then east side of center island is good anchorage. Ifyou go south around Iceberg pt i like to anchor at mackaye harbor or outer bay. its kind of in the wrong distance but if its late in the day I like deepwater bay on the east side of cypress island. and there is always Blakely Island resort if you have to have a dock and showers. One of our favorite get away from the crowd spots and still have services. they have fresh made donuts in the morning and well as gas pumps and the best showers. Always hot water.

Well there are some options that should help. but to tell the truth I dont know why you would not make it the first day if you leave the down by 5pm/ sun set is 8.38 and you should have enough ligth to see until 9pm at least. its only a 2 hour run if the wind is not to bad. Its only 18 miles. If its flat one hour.

starcrafttom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and the James island is inhabited by the strongest group of fearless raccoons. They will take anything off your boat that is not locked down. They will open your ice chest if its not tied shut.
johnr

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Photos: Surf Scoter
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would let the weather be my guide. If it was rough, or even just a little bouncy, I'd just hop over to Cap Sante marina, walk on into town, have dinner and listen to some live music at the Rockfish Grill. If it was flat calm, I'd probably just make the run for Friday Harbor. But that's me. I also am partial to Eagle Harbor on Cypress. The C-Dorys can take the buoys in the shallower water, tucked way inside the harbor.
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currents can be pretty strong just west of James Island if there is no dock space and you have to anchor.
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not consider anchoring on the west side of James Island. to much current and the bottom is so rocky that I would have concerns of getting the anchor back. Its also fairly deep right off the beach-dock. You would have to let out to much line to get the right slope for that current to close to the beach and the rock walls. No it the dock or move on.
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No it the dock or move on.

Me too!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: