The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Single bunk used as a seat?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Mac

City/Region: Chehalis
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mary Ellen
Photos: Mary Ellen
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Single bunk used as a seat? Reply with quote

As I was trying out the new table hindge and lock system I set up the bunk. I don't know why it has never occured to me but it sure looks like it would make a great seat when the crew is larger. Has anyone used it this way? I would suspect that you would want the larger crew on the ends and kids or smaller in the middle, although the table and its supports look pretty strong. I have only used the bunk once for sleeping and it worked great. Happy boating, Big Mac.
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Mac,
Look at page 5 of "Fishtales" photo album. Roger did a fantastic job making that area into a "couch". He made up some fantastic cushions for back rests. I had the occasion to view it and sit on it when they were visiting Wa. state this summer. I'm sure Roger will chime in about it.

C-Brat #16
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ours is always in the bunk mode when on fishing adventures, it works great, you can lay down and watch the poles...note to self...must have Fishtale cushion made up some day
Luna C

City/Region: Lake Goodwin/Center Island
C-Dory Year: 2019
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Panthera
Photos: Luna C
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use the "bunk seat" all the time. Tomorrow we will have 8 in the boat as we cross Rosario - four on the bunk, two on the bench on the galley, one standing, and the pilot. We use giant Costco pillows for back rests. Not quite as good as the fishtales couch set-up.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janet and Chris with Luna C-

Wow! Eight people is the most I've ever heard of aboard a CD-22 (except maybe at a dock during a C-Brat get together or on a boat at a boat show).

How does the boat handle with that much of a load in it? Do you get her up on plane or travel mostly by displacement mode? How far to you go and under what conditions do you carry 8 aboard a CD-22? Do you know if you are operating inside the capacity limitations designated by the manufacturer? Just curious. Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Otter-BelleHavenMarina

City/Region: Alexandria
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Otter
Photos: Otter
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,
We had nine on board our 22 last summer for short trips out to islands in Maine -- four adults, three teenagers, and two little ones. Conditions in the bay were light wind and well spaced swells, and we got on plane without any difficulty. Steering is more sluggish and it feels like your plowing a bit. Expect we were over capacity with about 1,150 lbs. of humans plus gear and fuel, but distances traveled were short everyone had PFDs on.

Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

help me if I have missed an upgrade folks. Issue with the table on FreeByrd is that folks like to "lean on" the table...which sometimes pops the catches against the gunnels out .....and have been tossing the idea or replacing those with some type of pin-n-cable as to allow for them to be put iin place, pinned in, then when pin is removed, it stays with the table top...as to keep you from loosing your little pins.??

And now, ya got me thinking of the height differance between the storage area below the table and the bottom of the table....as compaired with the height of the gunnels out back in the cockpit. This table may be able to be moved out onto the cockpit for a nice sundowner and dinner...and simply attached to another set of "catches" mounted on the gunnels just like inside the boat.... Hummm Not being on or near my boat, it almost seems the length of that folding leg is also about the same heighth of the gunnels in the cockpit on the TomCat...or not???
Luna C

City/Region: Lake Goodwin/Center Island
C-Dory Year: 2019
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Panthera
Photos: Luna C
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of our "taxi" work is to the San Juans from Anacortes. 20 minutes when calm, 30 when more rough. Six adults, two 14 year old boys, a 15lb turkey + stuffing, and other assorted food items (4 pies!) and overnight gear. No trouble getting up on step. 18kts for part of the trip, 14 for the rougher sections. No problem! (about 5 gallons of water and 20 gallons of fuel - I only use one fuel tank in the winter. 5 of those gallons in a plastic can just in case)
Big Mac

City/Region: Chehalis
Vessel Name: Mary Ellen
Photos: Mary Ellen
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like others are using the table as a seat with great success. Thanks for the posts, Big Mac.
Cutty Sark

City/Region: Kenmore, Sammamish Slough
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Cutty Sark
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Table upgrade Reply with quote

The factory has done an upgrade on the table attachment. It still attaches the same way to the hull, but at the foot there is a knob with a screw that goes through the foot into the floor, to secure the leg better. I saw it recently when I went to the factory. Looked pretty stable.

Sark
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that latest factory mod and can confirm it is an improvement. You just have to remember to either stow the little black knob "someplace safe" (where you will forget it) or put it back into the hole when you go to bunk mode.

Can also recommend Les' mod of adding the over centre catch to the hull side to avoid the table centre popping up and spilling your beer when someone leans on the gangway edge. I'm sure that's documented somewhere but if not I will try to make picture and post it if anyone wants.

Merv
The Fran Sea

City/Region: St Petersburg FL
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: The Fran Sea
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Byrdman wrote:
help me if I have missed an upgrade folks. Issue with the table on FreeByrd is that folks like to "lean on" the table...which sometimes pops the catches against the gunnels out .....and have been tossing the idea or replacing those with some type of pin-n-cable as to allow for them to be put iin place, pinned in, then when pin is removed, it stays with the table top...as to keep you from loosing your little pins.??

Just solved this problem.... using a "Knob Hatch Fastener" from West Marine, page 582, item M, $19.99 in their 2005 catalog. Just fasten the screw part to the stern leaf of the table, as far forward as possible. The latch part to the side of the cabin. Works great! Laughing

Quote fixed by Da Nag

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: