The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Hull & Exterior Surface Care

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wing_wipe

City/Region: Mount Vernon
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Bird In Hand
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject: Hull & Exterior Surface Care Reply with quote

New to boating period. Well, actually still a couple of weeks away from starting...C-dory looks good in my back yard though!

Please share your recommendations for a surface wax or protective coat type product to prep, before I put boat in the water. C-Dory will be kept in saltwater.

Thanks!

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don,

If you put "boat AND polish AND wax" into either of the search boxes, (C-BRATS or Google) after the Search button here on the site you will get a ton of info on products and practices. Most involve a fair amount of effort, planing and "feel good" when it is all done.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

wing_wipe

City/Region: Mount Vernon
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Bird In Hand
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, thank you! Yeah, that search did more than the trick. The site use education is greatly appreciated..."teach a boy to fish..."

Take care, thanks again for taking the time!!!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traditionally folks have cleaned and waxed the boats. General censuses is that a past wax such as Colinite Fleet Wax and 885 is the best wax. Some use Meguiar's Inc M6301 Flagship Premium Marine Wax. There are any number of ways to prep the boat before waxing. Most like to remove as much of the old wax as possible, but others like to leave some base. If you keep the boat up, the every 3 to 4 month wax is not all that difficult. If you get to the point where gelcoat is oxidized, then it may require wet sanding with very fine wet and dry sandpaper--600 to 3000 grit. Also using a cutting paste such as those by 3M--including Finesse it, Currently the product line is Perfect it--3 products, and a series of pads with a variable speed orbital buffer. Harbor Frieight, Porter Cable, or Mikita all make great buffers.

If the gel coat is in good shape, I will use Dawn Soap, Colinite 920 cleaner, and follow with Colinite 885 wax. I happed to have a collection of buffers, each with its own pad and I do small sections at a time.

I have also tried products like "RejeX" or "Nu Finish". I have tried RejeX, and didn't think it held up as well, or looked as good as the Colinite. The top of my current 25 has something on it--and it may be NuFinish, or Poly Glow with a very thick application. The person I bought the boat from swore that it was just a "wax". I am not removing it, or waxing it to see how it holds up. Poly Glow will eventually turn yellow, and at some point need to be stripped.

Some have had the boats Ceramic coated (crystalline Si02 glass coating). I have no experience with this....lasts from 3 to 24 months depending on who you talk to.

It pays to keep the boat waxed, and help to preserve the gel coat. Most C Dorys were made with Cook Composites Gel coat, which is a top of the line product. After a certain number of years, gelcoat which is not well cared for will begin to crack and deteriorate. I once owned a Cal 46 which had been in charter service the Caribbean when the boat was new. She was 20 years old when I acquired her, and the gel coat on the cabin sides and top was shot. We had to sand it off, coat with epoxy and cover with two part Lineal polyurethane paint. The hull had also been painted in the past--so I assumed it had gone before that on the deck and cabin side. A good LP paint job will last 10 to 12 years, and will require less maintenance.

In any case, always wash the boat as soon as you can after use--especially if in salt water. You can use Tri Sodium Phosphate to remove stains from the hull. I avoid harsh acids. The TSP is available as a powder at hardware and paint stores. It is the active ingredient in may "hull stain removers".

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all of this hard work, use a boat soap that does not remove the wax. I use Star brite SeaSafe Boat Wash & Wax and a soft microfiber mop head
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: