thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For marine gas tanks, the only holes allowed in the tank are from the top--thus "sighting" ports would not be allowed. There are several types of fuel senders--and the old fashion "dip stick".

I am not sure where the plans are, but back in the 90's there was a factory option of a larger aluminum fuel tank which filled in the middle--and my recollection was over 60 gallons. I had considered buying one 22 with that tank, and saw a couple of others thru the years. Also several have had custom single tanks made--and that might be an option for the OP.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saddle tanks should be easy to have a "dip stick" cap set up.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

cgypsy

City/Region: Vancouver Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C Gypsy
Photos: C Gypsy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called C-Dory several times over several days and finally got through.

They said they do not sell or stock the gas tanks and they get them from Coast Line Equipment (360 734 8509).

I called Coast Line Equipment and they said they do make and sell gas tanks to C-Dory. They make them as needed and do not stock any tanks.

All of their tanks are made from aluminum and the lead time right now is 3 or 4 weeks. They asked for the Part Number from C-Dory or the actual dimensions and drawings.

So now I have called C-Dory back to try and get the part number of the almuminum tanks and I am waiting for them to get back to me so I can call Coast Line back and get a price.

I was not aware that they switched to aluminum tanks in the new boats.

I was hoping that C-Dory might have some in stock and I would be able to get them quicker than a 6 to 8 week lead time.

However, it now seems like there might be a month wait to get a mechanic to install them so waiting for the tanks might not be as difficult as I thought, but I would really like to be on the water much sooner.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switched to aluminum? Wonder when that happened. Anyone with a new C-Dory that can confirm that?

I was on a new CD 22 Cruiser at the Seattle Boat Show in Jan. It seems I would have noticed that change and remember it. Maybe not Rolling Eyes

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

cgypsy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Switched to aluminum? Wonder when that happened. Anyone with a new C-Dory that can confirm that?

I just got an email from Northwest Marine (C-Dory) saying they had given me incorrect information. The correct information is
Quote:
They are a plastic Moeller brand which can be purchased from Fisheries Supply online. The part numbers are FT 2339 and FT 2340.
pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for tracking this down and sharing! Good info and a reasonable price.
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those tanks are are shown on the web site diagrams page 33 and 34.

This is basically a catalogue of the Moeller tanks.

If Fisheries Supply does not have them in stock--there might be a way to buy directly and have them shipped. Amazon seems to have a number of Moeller tanks with Moeller as the supplier.
pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that Moeller doesn't appear to make any other left/right tank combinations other than the two 23 gal. tanks for the C-Dory 22. I know they used to because my '99 has a Moeller FT2536 25 gal starboard tank, but they don't list it on their website. My port tank was replaced with a 23 gal. Waylander before I owned the boat.

If someone was looking for larger tanks, here's a 30 gal. tank that fits under the splash well... https://www.plastic-mart.com/tech_drawings/moeller/ft3199-1-r2_(032631).pdf
I can't get the link to include all of the text above so you'll have to add the pdf portion manually in your browser URL header.

However, it doesn't come in left/right versions and so doesn't make efficient use of the same space (lacks the angled side to accommodate the upward flare of the hull). New plumbing would have to be fitted, but now you have 60 gal. total capacity. The biggest problem is that because the tanks are longer the bilge pump would have to be mounted in front of the drain hole, instead of to the side. The only way to get more room would be to raise the tanks.
hardee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called a couple of C-Dory Dealers and got a call back from 3 Rivers in just a few minutes. Their alternative source (if unable to get it through NMI C-Dro mfg, would be to go through LandNSea. I tried calling them. They only deal wholesale and since I didn't have an account number I was hung up on TWICE. The third call, I shamed a receptionist to at least give me some names of dealers, (anyone with an account). There were several in Seattle, and a couple in Port Townsend - Admiral Ship Supply 360-379-9921 - who are worth dealing with.

The main reason I called the dealers -- Whats with the aluminum tanks? As mentioned, Bad info.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

cgypsy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisheries Supply sells the standard 23 gallon fuel tanks to C-Dory.
Their website is: https://www.fisheriessupply.com/

The gas tanks are $299 USD each plus $212 USD for delivery for a total of $811 USD or $1080 CAD.

That is the only place that I found that have them in stock. Other places can order them, but it takes several weeks as they have to be made.

These are actually different than the tanks that were in my boat before. The ones I had were rectangular and attach with brackets on the side.

This description below is from a previous post and I think these are tanks I had so maybe I will end up with more capacity if I order the current tanks.

Quote:
1) 1990's to around 1999:
18 gallon Moeller tanks. These are simple rectangles and are not translucent. They are held down by individual metal "clips" that slot into a recess in the sidewall of the tank.
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
C-Dory Year: 2016
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great that you found the source, I was about to call BS on NMI as the 2019's on dealer lots still have plastic tanks, but they beat me to it and corrected themselves, glad to see that. Regarding Fisheries Supply, I just added both tanks to my cart and it's showing "free shipping" plus $30 oversize charge. Maybe the free shipping doesn't apply based on your location in Canada? Or you can also pick up from Seattle for $0. But what's your time, gas, and ferry cost? $212 shipping doesn't sound too bad if these are actually in stock as the website indicates. And designed specifically for a CD22!

-Mike

cgypsy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe the free shipping doesn't apply based on your location in Canada? Or you can also pick up from Seattle for $0. But what's your time, gas, and ferry cost?

I did the math and the cost of going to Seattle to get the tanks and having them shipped is almost the same. Yea, free shipping doesn't apply to Canada - it never does.

If I wanted an excuse for a holiday, I would drive down there for sure - but I'm really looking for an excuse to stay home.

I was away avoiding the wet winter for three months, which is why I am dealing with this now rather than three months ago, so I will just pay the shipping and be glad that I can get them in a timely manner. The website says they are in stock - so I hope it is true.
cgypsy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tanks are on the way. They are different than the ones I had.

Do I need some type of special bracket to hold them in place?

Does anyone have any other instalation advice?
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many boats have the "cleats" inboard and forward of the tank, screwed into place. This is a source of water intrusion into the hull, unless properly epoxy plugped and the screws set into the plugs. Best to just glass the wood strip (could be PVC lumber) to the inside of the hull. Generally this is enough to hold the tanks in place. If you need to strap the, put any screws into the cleats, not into the hull.
cgypsy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Many boats have the "cleats" inboard and forward of the tank, screwed into place

That is what mine has. The tank was held in placee with brackets but I can see from the pictures of the new tanks that my old brackets won't work.

The new tanks should arrive tomorrow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: