Tomcat 24 Steps to Upper Station
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
caracal

City/Region: Nokomis
State or Province: FL
Photos: caracal
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just added a step placement picture in my album for what I was thinking. I really like those folding perko steps, but I also like the permanent ones.

https://www.boatersland.com/pko0351dp0chr.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqqLhpJmy4QIVxAOGCh1S9QpFEAQYAyABEgIAX_D_BwE

I am going to be meeting with an aluminum guy for the tower base. I wonder if he could make fixed steps like those perko ones in aluminum.

Whiskers-1993 SeaCat 21 Honda 90s (sold)
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, I remember the talking tubes from someplace. Boats when I was a kid, mabe the small ferries. And, I remember seeing that photo from Alaska, moose hunting IIRC.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked on a NOAA ship in the 1980's that had a speaking tube from the helm to the engine room. The vessel was of the vintage where the captain telephoned the Chief Engineer to tell him "how many turns to put on." The speaking tube was the emergency backup.

It is amazing how well the voice travels through a long length of 2" pipe. I'm not sure how well it would work using 2" flexible shop vac hose.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
cmetzenberg

City/Region: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco Flamingo wrote:
I worked on a NOAA ship in the 1980's that had a speaking tube from the helm to the engine room. The vessel was of the vintage where the captain telephoned the Chief Engineer to tell him "how many turns to put on." The speaking tube was the emergency backup.

It is amazing how well the voice travels through a long length of 2" pipe. I'm not sure how well it would work using 2" flexible shop vac hose.

Mark

That is old school! We still have sound powered phones, that's about as low tech as we get. I used to mess with out cadets and have them try and replace the batteries in them.

07' Tomcat 255 "Kanaloa"
87' Boston Whaler Guardian 17 (BlackFlag, 03-14)
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmetzenberg wrote:

That is old school!

NOAA ships had (and may still have) some oddities. There was a large mounting plate on the foredeck. The Quartermaster told me that (probably to help get funding) the NOAA ships were built to be easily requisitioned by the Navy. The plate fit a WWII vintage gun. The ship would have had to return to port for fitting, however, there was a locker on board so that he could outfit the crew with small arms. That would have been more dangerous than a 12' ladder on top of a C Dory.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
trpsurf

City/Region: Pasadena
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Oski
Photos: C-Pelican
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 24' and have been thinking about and sketching plans for a tower for about 3 years. I fish offshore about 20-25 days a year for bluefin, yellowfin, dorado, and yellowtail. I have a custom set of bow rails on the front that allows two people to stand safely on the bow. While we are trolling offshore, I have a guy or two up front with a set of stabilized binoculars. If they were sitting in a seat on the roof, their heads would be about 18" higher, which makes it hard to justify the $8-10K or more of expense.

That being said, it would be way more comfortable in a tower and, more importantly, I would be able to sit up there instead of in the house driving.

To the common question about weight and center of gravity, I would not be worried about it. I have had a guy or two on the roof when fishing off shore and not felt like the physics of boat change substantially. If it was blowing 20+ in 5-6' seas, I wouldn't have a guy in the tower.

Keep the photos coming of your build. I would love to see a 24' with a tower. If you guys ever have any questions about 24's let me know. Our family loves our Tomcat.
Tim

24' Tomcat- Oski
22' Cruiser- C-Pelican
caracal

City/Region: Nokomis
State or Province: FL
Photos: caracal
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tim! I am very happy that you posted. Myself and two of my best friends bought this boat to customize it and do a lot of what you do. I just binge watched all of your Youtube videos. My two year old got a real kick out of watching your girls play in the water. I just broke my leg and had surgery on it Thursday so I am laid up on the couch for the foreseeable future. Giving me a lot of time to watch Youtube videos. Myself and one other guy have a family of four. We plan to use the boat for offshore fishing and island hopping in the keys and Bahamas. Guys trips and family trips.

We didn't think that we had enough money in the budget for a tower, but we found this upper station for a good deal and decided to make it work. We are really excited for sight fishing and boat handling abilities. Also, I think a tower will look nice on this hull with its aggressive lines. I am glad to hear that you don't think the weight shift is concerning. We are going to try to keep it as light as possible.

I will be sure to create a build thread for the boat and I will take you up on your offer immediately, haha! Here are some questions. Do you have issues with the weight on your transom? I see you have 135's which are 485 lbs. We sold the Yamaha 100's that were on there and bought a pair of Suzuki/Johnson 140's. A weight increase from 363 to 425 per motor. Are your batteries in the transom? Do you use that back box as a livewell? If so, how did you set that up? What performance do you see with the 135's with speed and fuel burn? Also, I noticed you had a few gas tanks on your roof. What size fuel tanks do you have and what usable range do you seem to get? I just ordered new tanks for the boat this week. We are increasing the size from the larger stock aluminum tanks at 58gals to Moeller plastic 64gal tanks. Sorry for all the questions. Like I said, I have an inordinate amount of time on my hands right now. Thank you so much!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: