The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Mystery water in cabin
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Hound

City/Region: Manchester
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-HOUND
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Mystery water in aft cabin Reply with quote

I believe I have the same problem. I thought my fresh water tank had a small leak. Pulled the tank, replaced the lines then staged the tank in my garage. Filled 1/2 way and left alone for a couple days- no leaks. However, fresh water seems to continue to pool in the cabin just forward of bulkhead, under the door. Knowing this water isn't coming from fresh-water tank, I drilled a series 3/16' holes (just thru the top glass only) in the floor next to bulkhead inside the water tank box area. Now there's a spring of water that I'd sure like to find out where it's coming from. Drilled another hole a couple inches forward and it's dry.
The C-Hound is on trailer at a good angle where water can drain aft.
When there's a heavy rain, water does not linger on the exterior near the bulkhead & raised floor seam but drains to sump area, as it should.

Any fixes out there??
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:

Starting in 07 or 08, the 22s don't have a step or pump inside the door to the cabin. My 08 doesn't have one. There should be no holes (intentional or otherwise) in the aft bulkhead to allow water flow if there is no sump in the cabin.

This is the era of the built in floor--where water is supposed to drain aft, and not get into the "bilge" between the floor and the inner side of the hull. Thus no reason for water to drain forward, into its lowest point....except if water is getting under the floor. This seems to be more often than thought.

Solution--put a port into the area between the floor and hull. Just drilling holes complicates the issue--because then you expose core in the floor to water, leading to delaminatoin and rot....

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I posted earlier in this thread, my 08 has the factory flat floor in the cockpit. There is a gap between the forward edge of the raised floor and the aft bulkhead (they do not join). The PO of my boat also had a cabin water intrusion problem. He filled the gap between the floor panels and the aft bulkhead with 5200 sealant. No more leak problem.

I have noticed that with certain boat loading it is possible for water to pool in the cockpit at the aft bulkhead instead of the sump. I also expect that even if the boat trim does not cause pooling at the bulkhead, some water will still get in the gap anyway (e.g. rain, water running down the exterior of the aft bulkhead).

I would make up a bucket of water with some food coloring in it and pour it along the bottom edge of the exterior of the aft bulkhead and see if you find colored water in the cabin.

I would also check that the cabin door is sealing all the way around.
Knipet

City/Region: Orcas Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Pan-A-C'ya
Photos: Pan-A-C'ya
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently had similar symptoms - water accumulating on the floor of the cabin. After a lot of searching, I found the bilge pump hose (that runs the water overboard) had a split causing water to run out under the starboard cabinet and back to the floor. It was an endless loop until I found the split. Easy-peasy and relatively cheap fix with a new hose.
homerjack

City/Region: Homer
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: 49er
Photos: 49er
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to my world! 😉
So far my best remedy has been a thin line of 4200 at top of rubrail. Has dramatically reduced intrusion but not all. Temp fix till I can get rubrails reseated and sealed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: