View previous topic :: View next topic  
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: new c-dory owner i think Reply with quote

my bid was accepted just a sea trial and we are good to go IM thinking of putting a 90hp on her but suzuki dealer said he could sell me a 2005 115 for same price as a 90 hp 2006 this boat is a green 1999 cruiser model will she take a 115 I know red -fox has the yami on his would there be ins problems etc like to know before i pay for eng ??
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
Otter-BelleHavenMarina

City/Region: Alexandria
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Otter
Photos: Otter
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! Don't know about the 115 - what is the weight difference between Suzuki 115 and Honda 90? And are there any insurance consequences to having horsepower above the manufacturer's recommended max? Am sure others on the site will have better info.
Best wishes,

New Hampshire Guy
Dealer

City/Region: Meredith
State or Province: NH
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Photos: New Hampshire Guy
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to get a ruling for you today, but they're not even awake on the West Coast. I know the 2006 22' models and beyond are qualified to handle a 115hp. I don't know if there is paperwork involved to retro-qual a boats' max HP, but your logic is correct that it WILL be able to handle it (I'd just want to make sure there are no hang-ups when you go to insure it).
Make sure you get the 6 year warranty for free whichever engine you go with (special Suzuki deal through the end of the month).
I'll be in touch. You can E-mail me if you have specific questions.
Happy Turkey Day!
John
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! Sounds like a good deal getting the 115 for the price of the 90. In fact, they are the same engine, the 90 being the detuned version. Same block, same weight.
Peter
Redƒox

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim.
What sold me on the F-115, was (at the time) not only its fuel injection, but the fact its internally-beefed-up, from it smaller brothers with essentially the same block. It is also considerably heavier, the report I read I believe was “Powerboat Magazine” I wish I would have saved it! From its weight-advantage, I would say that the internal “beefing” is quite substantial!
From her fifth season now up in the “far north”: when I checked the valve-clearance @ 1300 hours (a year or so ago); there was ZERO out of tolerance! That right there, was rather awesome in itself! I have worked the crap out of the big Yami, even though I do take the best care possible of it by frequent (twice a year) oil&filter changes, and running Mobile 1 fully synthetic the last 3 years.

Yes I did install it myself; it was really easy, considering I have that rack on the transom! I went off it with a heavy-duty ratcheting strap, to elevate. There was no need to reposition the holes either, it bolted right into the old holes from the 3 previous two-stroke motors. I like the added-weight a bunch! Matter-a-fact, it ain’t enough! I also like a heavy kicker, plus whatever weight I carry in that rack over the transom. Probably because I have them huge trim tabs, and carry a crapload in the cockpit too….. gawd ya think a fella would just get bigger boat! LOL
Also: I had no trouble at all getting insurance from State Farm. My old Classic is rated for a 90 max. So I’m 25 hp over that. They said that was completely acceptable, long as it was not “way over powered”. Any yes, the power and torque are to die for!! There is no better engine out there for the 22 C-D. Thumbs Up Note
jlynch

City/Region: Corcoran
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Shenanigan
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Manufacturer's HP Rating Reply with quote

Simple answer to you question.
Do not exceed the Manufacturer's Rated Horsepower.
You will be liable to some degree, if an accident occurs, even tho it
was not your fault. You were overpowered.
You will not pass a safety inspection by the Coast Guard or the
local water patrol, and will probably receive a citation.

I suggest you contact your marine insurance provider. Speciffically
ask your liability if your craft exceeds the Mfg Rated HP.
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting topic... Is it really weight or hp that set the ratings? With weights coming down, components and materials getting stronger... they had to cross sooner or later and here we are.

I too would want something in writing from the insurance company. Not that there is any "mis-trust" issues....but that may be a loop hole for non-payment...and like others have pointed out..... may put some liability on you for simply being over powered....or weighted. Sort of like the it may not be your fault but if you have had an adult beverage and are in a wreck things can go crazy fast.

Be interesting to watch this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: