The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

22' Angler project

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisLeGros

City/Region: portland
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:06 am    Post subject: 22' Angler project Reply with quote

more to come, pretty major project lol
ChrisLeGros

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked this up not really anticipating starting a new project but I could not pass it up. Structurally appears to be sound, although the 'todo' list is quite large if I'm going to bring it back to life. It's a 1988 22' angler. I've only recently moved to the northwest. When I started shopping around I fell in love with the style of boats here. I've done some smaller restorations and am quite comfortable doing glasswork, but this will be a new level. My original budget was $10k, so far I have $2300 into it. The remainder will go towards restoration.

The nitty gritty. It was a fishing boat previously, and has obviously been treated like one. The previous owner had refinished the hull 6 or 7 years ago. All of her patches were well done using epoxy, she showed me pictures. Then it was painted, not sure of the paint used. The outer hull is scarred and the original rubrail has been replaced with the battens you can see in the picture. Everything else seems original. It will be a few weeks before I can start, but my goal is to have it in the water before summer.

One thing I am on the fence about is removing the splash well and adding a float bracket. I think this hull is a good candidate for it being the lighter engines used for it's size but I have found no information online about how successful this modification is. If anyone has advice on this please message or post in replies.

Clewless

City/Region: Ashland
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1986
Vessel Name: Clewless
Photos: Clewless
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject: '86 Angler Splash well Reply with quote

I replaced the splash on my "86 Angler. I'll post some pics and more info about it soon.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a very doable project: lots of filling and fairing--time consuming. But probably hot huge expense--except the outboard.

As for a bracket: One 22 has been extend, and there was question about doing a bracket on that but I don't believe the project is finished. One of the 25's has a transom flotation extension, but the left the smash well--not getting fullest advantage of the extension. However, the transom in the 25, really needs the splash well. (at least in my 2003 boat). The boat is claimed to run well. Several of the 26 and 27 have had brackets/floatation added and do well.

If I was doing a bracket, I would do a full hull extension--the boats were originally designed for a light weight 70 hp 2 stroke engine. Keeping with the philosophy would be best if you added the bracket. It will change the steering geometry, there may be a little increase in speed, for the same HP...I probably would add knees at the clamp and keelson (and glass in a length of keelson inside of the boat to give more support to the new full height transom). Doing that you might want to move the fuel tanks up to each side under the gunnel. this would get more weight out of the back. but more costs for new tanks....

With your time frame, I would do the cosmetics, paint and power--enjoy this summer and then make a decision about the transom/bracket as a potential project next winter. However, if the transom has some water intrusion/delamination or rot--then go directly to the new full height transom, with the bracket.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was that boat in Anacortes wa on the north end of town
ChrisLeGros

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a moderate inspection and haven't found any evidence of water intrusion, I'll probably do some core samples to be sure when I get started. The hull exterior is priority #1, and yes I know I'm in for a lot of sanding lol. The gelcoat is shot so I'll be going with a 2 part paint, awlgrip or perfection most likely. I like the idea of not having to color match later if I do put off fabricating the bracket, which I likely will. Being a boat from the 80s it also has that not so attractive gelcoat splatter aesthetic on the interior which is in decent shape but starting to crack in some places so time allowing I'd like to strip the entire hull and use a barrier coat prior to painting and give it that slick modern look. The boat is pretty much a blank canvas.

One thing that gave me pause when considering the bracket was the gas tanks. Obviously the goal being getting that extra real estate, I'd have to be clever with installing new gas tanks considering under the floor isn't an option. I was thinking about new tanks that will go in the gunnels, really it's the only option. The budget doesn't include the motor, I have a 70hp suzuki 4stroke that I will be using. Although I am considering selling it and going with a new etec

To the second question, yes I picked it up in Anacortes
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those batten do add a different look.

As to fuel tanks. Good idea to move them forward, (along with getting more weight forward and increasing range.) Look up old growth Dave's CD 16 modification, (16 - 1Cool named Venture. He put saddle tanks under the gunnels. I believe he had some drawings in his threads. If I was doing that, I would try and incorporate a step (or two) to ease getting off the boat at a dock.

Here is a pix of his boat Stretch 16. Boat name "C-Venture".

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a '84 Angler that I put saddle tanks in under the gunnels. Covered here with aluminum. The gas fills are in the gunnel top. 22 gal/ side. I don't have a better pic, but it was a success for me, since with the two original 12 gal tanks under the motor well, I now had 68 gallon capacity. I could run as far offshore in Cabo San Lucas as it took to find Yellow Fin Tuna. Sometimes I wish I had kept the '84 Angler.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
Catch 22

City/Region: Lynnwood
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Catch 22
Photos: Catch 22
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got our for $2300 back in the day. Did the resortoration for just under 10k not including motor. We did saddle tanks and a new spashwell. That was 10 years ago I think! Well worth it. I feel like Ive seen this boat before, near deception pass? Or Brownsville?
Catch 22

City/Region: Lynnwood
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Catch 22
Photos: Catch 22
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or Peavine pass?
chriscarrera

City/Region: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Carrera
Photos: Carrera
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My concern with a bracket would be making it look good against the curved transom. Maybe 88 is flat, my 82 was curved. I initially was going to do a bracket on the 22 I just sold and came to the conclusion it’s not worth it.
ChrisLeGros

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Catch22 I'm a northwest newbie. I've only just moved here 4 months ago so I am unfamiliar with the areas. As to the design of the bracket, if I go that route, I'll have to make some mock ups and dry fit to test aesthetics. It will be a few weeks still before I start, and that will be a last priority since I have a large todo list already lol. But for me that extra foot and a half or two foot of freeboard would really push this angler to the next level. Those saddle tanks are very similiar to what I was thinking, I would like them more "hidden" though. Don't worry guys, I'll take a ton of pictures, gotta pay it forward for all of the other projects I've trolled over the years on various forums
Red Knot

City/Region: SOBX
State or Province: NC
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chriscarrera wrote:
My concern with a bracket would be making it look good against the curved transom. Maybe 88 is flat, my 82 was curved. I initially was going to do a bracket on the 22 I just sold and came to the conclusion it’s not worth it.

There are production bracket makers that makes curved brackets all the time. Heck teak platforms are mostly all curved on larger motor yachts. If anyone needs some ideas of who makes them, let me know. The aluminum brackets are powder coated. And its easy to make a template for them with self instructions provided.
Clewless

City/Region: Ashland
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1986
Vessel Name: Clewless
Photos: Clewless
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Splash well replacement on '86 Angler Reply with quote

I uploaded a few pics to my album that show the splash well replacement project. The well is tabbed into the hull and transom and you can fit new boards into the old tabs. It's a bit of work to clean them out—which what I choose to do—or just cut them off flush and start new. It was my friend Paul who runs Marine Repair Service in Herbster, Wisconsin that came up with the design to put the batteries in the boxes instead of hanging out in the well like the original design. He did the wiring for the panel and batteries as well. I highly recommend his work for inboard marine engines and anything electrical or electronic.
chriscarrera

City/Region: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Carrera
Photos: Carrera
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it, clean install.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: