The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Advice on new TomCat purchase
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We put the generator (Honda 2000) on a home-made Starboard platform in the splash well, but only when it's running. The exhaust faces out the back and I made a 6' power cord for gen use only. On a TC, you could just set it down between the engines, maybe?

When not in use, we store it in the boat, in the foot well of co-pilot's seat; she's is only 5'2", so it's a foot rest, in essence. As Roger stated, about 20 minutes and you have enough hot water for two showers, plus. Worth every penny.

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Knot wrote:
I would personally think if you oversize your anchor with chain only, and carry it on your bow and in the forward rope locker, you may alter the safe handling with bow down trim in any open water that you plan to transit in.

I don't know about a TomCat, but on the 22 an anchor locker full of chain would be more helpful than not. C-Dorys tend to be tail heavy and often require trim tabs for proper running. In my case, I sometimes run out of tab to get the bow down if the boat is loaded. Even if you do get the bow down with the tabs, you are going to affect your top speed and fuel economy.

One day out I noticed my top speed was way down and was wondering why the change. Then I noticed that the tabs were pretty much full down. Knocked my top speed down by almost 10 mph.
cmetzenberg

City/Region: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Knot wrote:
I would personally think if you oversize your anchor with chain only, and carry it on your bow and in the forward rope locker, you may alter the safe handling with bow down trim in any open water that you plan to transit in.

I couldn't agree more. This is where your catenary in the anchor rode comes from. this keeps the anchor being pulled horizontally back rather than up and out. I have 50' of chain on my tomcat.

Costco sometimes has cheap deals on yamaha generators that will power your water heater. I've never heard of anyone running that off batteries

07' Tomcat 255 "Kanaloa"
87' Boston Whaler Guardian 17 (BlackFlag, 03-14)
Gene Morris

City/Region: Eureka CA
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Reef Madness
Photos: Reefmadness
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhotoOp,

Look at my album I have some photos of the Hydronic heater set up.

The heater is under the sink in the galley, expansion tank is in the head (provides warmth in head and a great place to hang wet gear to dry) I have two heat exchangers, 1 is in forward berth and has 6 outlets (3 for defrost and three for cabin heat on the starboard side). The second heat exchanger in behind the refer, with 4 outlets distributed on the port side. The heated water runs thru pvc pipes from heater around forward berth (to keep bedding dryer) down to second exchanger then to expansion tank to be rerouted to heater. It has worked very well for our needs. The first time we cruised to SE was in 2008. We were miserable with the wetness and the Wallace couldn't help.

We also removed the Wallace and installed new counter top for more room to prepare and cook food with a single burner butane stove that we store under the sink. It works great for us but, the Wallace was good for cooking, it was just very expensive to service. ($700 +) for tune-up. And Margaret wanted more space for food prep.

I have pics of the counter and heater install in the Reefmadness photo albums.

Good luck on your purchase they are great boats and heavy in the stern. So putting more weight in the bow/anchor locker actually helps with handling.

Gene

ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy wrote:
We put the generator (Honda 2000) on a home-made Starboard platform in the splash well, but only when it's running. The exhaust faces out the back and I made a 6' power cord for gen use only. On a TC, you could just set it down between the engines, maybe?

When not in use, we store it in the boat, in the foot well of co-pilot's seat; she's is only 5'2", so it's a foot rest, in essence. As Roger stated, about 20 minutes and you have enough hot water for two showers, plus. Worth every penny.

I tried storing my Honda 2000 inside but always a gas/exhaust smell that I didn't like.

2017 25 Cruiser 200 Yamaha (2017-present)
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some folks carry the generator on a small platform in the splashwell or swim step in a storage box, usually with a cover on it if not otherwise enclosed. Others leave it in the cockpit or even keep it in the head or cabinet near the door. Based on how you move around the boat and how you use the space for other items, there should be a good place for it to live on your Tomcat. The 2000 watt size is great for running the boat appliances but the even smaller 1000 watt size can do a good job of charging the 12v system of you only have that need.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aurelia wrote:
Some folks carry the generator on a small platform in the splashwell or swim step in a storage box, usually with a cover on it if not otherwise enclosed. Others leave it in the cockpit or even keep it in the head or cabinet near the door. ...

On my 22, when we carry it, the Honda 1000 is stored in a plastic tub with a cover in the cockpit when not in use. The top of the tub can double as a table. When used the generator is on a folding plastic step stool strapped to one of the swim steps.

I have a steel cable that goes through a steel eye in the cockpit to discourage the generator from wandering off.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ken35216 wrote:
I tried storing my Honda 2000 inside but always a gas/exhaust smell that I didn't like.

Never experienced that. Did you close off the fuel cap vent? We do have a Sunbrella cover for it, but I doubt that would stop fumes/smells.
Gulfcoastjohn

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: CAT 'O MINE
Photos: CAT 'O MINE
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrads Kurt and Bev on your new TC255..you’re going to love it!
Stay mellow and realize that it may take several years of cruising on your new ride to discover what you like to do… and don’t. that’s normal. We are at 6 years ownership in Feb, and on the boat tonight (and the last 3 weeks), and still discovering ‘what works and what doesn’t for us”.
Agree a 10kg Rocna with lots of chain is the best compromise. The stainless version is very pretty. My last 4 trailer boats had a Lewmar windlass, and it would not swallow any chain/rode splice unless it was genuine ACCO US-made G3/HT chain over a professional splice to genuine Lewmar 8 plait rode (which does lay down in the anchor locker very nicely compared to any competition). Lewmar apparently regards this as a ‘feature’, not a ‘bug’ and is very proud of this.
The best stern/to sand beach anchor is the 14# Lewmar plow, which fits (barely) in a fish locker with SS lead and rode if you back up to soft sand beaches, which you won’t be doing until you take your rig to Florida, which you should.

No Suzuki 175 TC255 owners are currently posting that I know of. I’d rec’d a 4 blade prop with stern lift properties and a lower pitch than the go-fast crowd would use. Your TomCat will gain weight with age (a universal phenom) and as you guys add ‘nice to have’ plus ‘must have’ stuff. A lower pitch prop helps compensate for this, with better grunt around the docks and in keeping the boat on plane at the lowest possible speeds on top of the slop. There will always be slop. Although politically incorrect to say so, Alaskan boaters in general are expected to be more self-reliant (extra gas filters, spark plugs, etc) than those in, say, Naples, FL.
David M has excellent points. We retrofitted Cat O’Mine with 100% Marinebeam LED lights and now ‘lights’ are the #10 or lower 12V DC draw, #1 being fridge on 12v, #2 being windlass (which may have a lot of use with the engines off in our case) and #3 being electronics suite, some of which we leave on at anchor (AIS transmit and anchor drag alarm on ). Every Brat will differ on this, and again thanks David for a succinct summary that applies to the 99%.
Consider the Victron 702 battery monitor, which will give you precise (I like precise, can you tell?) readouts of 12v amps in and amps out of the House bank and battery voltage (only) of an additional battery of your choice.
The low-bid alternative is the Blue Seas 12V meter to 4 digits (ie, 12.22V) at about $34 on Amazon. The 3 digit $6 car meters are worthless for this.
Consider having the dealer install handholds over the stbd waste pumpout and the port water inlet, over the eyebrow so no ceiling or core penetration issues. If anyone can hold onto the roof rails while unscrewing either of these, we want to see the pictures. My personal wingspan is 4-6 inches short at 6 ft ½ inch (previously 6 ft 1 inch). Also above the aft door, but below bimini level, through the eyebrow, no ceiling penetration.

To date we won’t haul around a Honda 2000IU, though we have two for home standby use. It’s a powerful little bugger, esp compared to solar panels.

Best of luck in your travels and you guys decide what works best for you.
I always advise that new TC255 owners adopt our boating philosophy, which is
“if total damages after deductibles are under $1,000, and no one is seriously injured or killed, then it was a good boating day!”

Cheers from the edge of the Everglades!
John

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have some great suggestions. 'We used hydronic heat with 3 zones on our Cal 46: 4 seasons in AK. We used the ProHeat, perhaps as one of the first marine applications--using the truck heater, which was cheaper, and basically the same unit as is now the marine unit. However it is 45,000 BTU--a bit much for the Tom Cat! The Thermo Pro 90 Webasto might be a good choice for the Tom Cat at least 6,100 to over 26,000 BTU. If possible I would be shooting in the 12,000 BTU range. We used copper tubing for towel drying in the head, and hanging lockers for foul weather Gear.

Using hydronic with the heat exchanger (probably best to be better than what the usual engine type is) in a water heater works very well. Best to have a flow thru coils rather than the blind cylinder type as many are. I would do this as after market rather than factory installation.

You are getting advice from folks who have not owned a Tom Cat on the generator. We put our EU 2000 I on the outboard bracket, raised up on a "milk crate". We kept it in the cockpit when not in use. However, I have a mount on my 25, where we have the generator permanently attached to a piece of Starboard, and a weather tight cover which uses "Common Sense" fasteners to protect the generator--and that could easily be transferred to the Tom Cat.

It might be possible to run the water heater off a set of lithium batteries. We have been doing some experimentation, and will shortly do a write up. It takes the standard C Dory 6 gallon water heater 40 minutes and about 120 amp/hrs @ 12 volts to get the water heater fully hot. A 200 amp hour bank, would allow this, but then how do you re-charge the batteries? This bank can accept a charge of over 100 amps an hour. Victron makes an excellent Pure Sine Wave inverter charger (2500 watts/80 amps charger) as does Magnum (2500 Watts/100+ amps charger). But you need a generator to change these up. There is the possibility of a flow thru at 1200 watts, and for shorter time, since the volume of water is smaller. These could come in at under 100 amp hours for two showers. (limited water use).

Definitely have battery monitoring--we favor the Victron 700 series. We have the Victron 2500/80 and are doing all cooking with microwave and induction burner--the outboard charging the 200 amp hour battery back using a Sterling Battery to Battery charger to isolate from the Start Battery, and give the higher charging voltage used by the Li ion batteries. Standard lead acid would be over 150#, and not practical. Li ion are 60 lbs for the 200 amp hours usable at thousands of cycles.

As for stern anchors, we have always favored the High Test Danforth in Steel, or The Fortress--11X would work nicely as a good sand anchor/stern anchor. Not a thing wrong with the Ronca as prime sand anchor, but a back up should always be carried.

We have no problem with an amateur splice 8 plait to 1/4" G 4 chain going thru the horizontal axis windlass. For your AK waters, I probably would go with 50 feet of G4 chain--100'

would be fine. I personally did not feel that the Tom Cat needs more weight in the bow. If anything, less. However, with the deep anchorages, you may want to consider at least 400 feet of 8 plait 1/2" rode. On our larger boats we had 200 feet of chain, backed with 400 feet of line. Secondary anchor, 50 feet chain, and 600 feet rode. This will allow safe anchorage in 100 foot depths--or 75' depths with a 25 foot tide...!

Cats run best kept light. Not always easy to do when cruising. (and I am guilty of being "over weight" boat...!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A brand new TomCat means you're going to have a lot of really really fun years ahead of you. Congrats!!
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurt & Bev,

Your going to love the TomCat. We are now into year 14 with 'Discovery' and still enjoying the boat.

We us a Manson Supreme Boss 25# anchor after having dragging problems with a 22# Bruce type anchor. 65' of 1/4" ACCO chain. The home made splice will occasionally hang in the chain gypsy. Reverse and the forward usually clears it.

We carry a Honda EU2000 generator in a rubber tote in the cockpit. When running the gen. sits on the swim step part of the Armstrong Bracket. I use a bungee from both swimstep rails as safetys to keep it from going overboard. We can have hot water and both shower after 15 minutes running the gen. The water stays hot for up to 2 days afterward.

We have 5 batteries. 2 group 31's port and 3 group 27's Stb. in the rear corners each side of the rear seat. We have 200 watts of solar on the roof and an MPPT type of controller, but it's dated. Looking at new I would go with BattleBorn lithium batteries. Dr. Bob has written about these. Lighter and much more usable capacity.

We heat with an Airtronic D2 from Espar, located under and behind the sink in the galley cabinet. http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album1447&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

There are other pics of our modifications in the Discovery album. http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album110&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

We spent the summer of '15 in your area. 3 months in the SE launching at Skagway and cruising for 1600 miles. Really enjoyed it.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
Photo Op

City/Region: Juneau
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2019
Vessel Name: ViewFinder
Photos: ViewFinder
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really appreciate all of you taking the time to give us guidance. You have pointed out several issues I need to think about. There is nothing like first hand experience. I would like to have our boat set up as completely as possible from the factory rather than plan on changing things after we take possession. But I know there will be things that remain to be done afterward.

Can you give me any advice on why to choose hydronic heaters over forced air? (it appears more of you have chosen hydronic) It seems that forced air heaters would be easier and cheaper to install and maintain.

Thanks again,

19' Bayliner1993 to 2004
UH19P Hovercraft 1986 to 2008
http://beautifuljuneau.com
What Shore

City/Region: Salisbury
State or Province: NC
Vessel Name: Here After
Photos: What Shore
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be curious as to what you find as a good 4 blade prop. I have twin 175 Suzuki’s as well. Mine came with 3 blade props 22 pitch & I’m thinking there 17” for some reason. I get plenty of stern lift & the boat couldn’t run better. However it doesn’t respond well at all in reverse. This is the only one I’ve ever been on so it may be a cat characteristic I’m not sure. This is my only complaint & haven’t found out what to go to so haven’t done anything. I’ve looked at the 4 blade but don’t want to buy something that doesn’t perform as well as what I have as it’s great until you’re docking on a windy day.
BTDT

City/Region: Grand Lake Oklahoma
State or Province: OK
Vessel Name: C- Lark Wine Down
Photos: C-Lark
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your new Tomcat! I keep a Honda 2200i on my swim-step in a polished aluminum diamond tread truck box from Tractor Supply (SKU #128240499), mounted on its back with the locking lid up. I added large round screw-in plastic marine access hatches to each end, and remove the discs during use. One side for cooling intake and the opposite side for exhaust. On the hottest of days I will open the top lid when running the roof a/c. The top is lockable, the box is weather proof, and no heavy lifting in two plus years. I was going to suggest checking my C-Lark album but realized I did not add gen install photo's.

I have a 22lb Bruce type anchor but based on many past posts, video's, and anchoring articles, I suspect the 'best' anchor selection is right up there with choosing the best 'mate', the only common dominator may be using plenty of chain albeit my better-half is of the no-slack belief Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: