The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Hello from Texas

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrb2019

City/Region: Cedar Creek
State or Province: TX
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:26 pm    Post subject: Hello from Texas Reply with quote

Welp, where to start?

My name is Russ and I have owned cheap boats, expensive ones, comfortable ones, and ones that could rattle your teeth loose lol. I sold the last one, a Triton 240LTS Pro in 2011, bought a ranch. Decided that the kids liked fishing better so sold that and was looking for my next money pit and came across the cutest dang boat I ever saw I could afford lol

So, here I am, 3.5 hours from the coast....thinking “another bay boat with onlt a t-top....or an old Grady with some major tlc needed?”...and I happened upon a Dory.

So, I am in a pickle. With a few upgrades, to accomodate the fact I love to fish...this thing could be just about the most perfect boat I have owned heh.

Here is the problem(s) I face...and I bet you all can help me decide how to handle them.

1 - There is not a lot of room aft. I am used to a CC or walk around. As I never go out alone, how is the room for fishing 2-3 grown people? Any pictures of folks fishing off the back?

2 - There appears to be no live well or fish well on these. Honestly, while folks fish with them, they do not appear to be rigged for fishing. Anyone ever added stuff for that? Not a huge issue, but since space is small, curious how you all deal with it.

3 - If I got one, I would want to add a fridge (I liked that aspect heh), a 10-12” fish finder, an a/c (that is so my wife and kids go more often), and I saw some cool solar setups. Where might one add more batteries?

I am looking at two 22’ Cruisers, albeit I like the dual outboard one best.

Thank you for any insight!

Trying to make sure I get a boat that has room to fish off of without being crowded....and I like the fact I can tow it and launch it on a lake too!Smile

Russ
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Russ, Welcome, and you jingled my bell, "Like the dual outboard one best". Me too, I love my twins. And I am sitting here laughing because you ask about fishing, and everywhere I go, I get asked about fishing and I don't fish. "But that boat want's to fish" I have heard more times than I can count.

So I will leave it to the fisherman to explain to you how that works, (but my boat was set up by a gentleman who had owned 34 boats prior, and was getting ready to fish his way to Alaska from Washington State. AND my boat has downrigger gear for 2 down riggers.)

Without a camper back, there is room for at least 2 stand up fishermen in the cockpit, and it is 3 stems from the helm to the stern, either corner.

I single hand 98% of the time but I have had as many as 6 adults on board, and we all had a place to sit --( extra camp chairs in the cockpit). 33.5 hours from the coast, no problem, the boat sits on a trailer and does 60 miles and hour and gets 10 - 15 mpg there, and you can sleep on it (boaterhoming) on the way to the coast and back if you need to, or stay a few days at the coast and sleep on it on the water, --aahhh what a concept.

A/C, Solar and fridge are all doable (already done a bunch) and in most anyway to suit you. The more batteries, depending on what type, determines where you put them, (weight aft and all).

The site as a ton of photo albums. You could spend several hours a day, for several months looking at those. Lots of pix, and lots of ideas. There is also a search function box near the top of the home page. You can search for Fishbox or Fish AND box and see what you get.

Enjoy, and be careful. C-Dorys are habit forming and can lead to an acquirement syndrome that is catchy and communicable.

Wish you all the best.

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Hello from Texas Reply with quote

jrb2019 wrote:
Welp, where to start?

My name is Russ and I have owned cheap boats, expensive ones, comfortable ones, and ones that could rattle your teeth loose lol. I sold the last one, a Triton 240LTS Pro in 2011, bought a ranch. Decided that the kids liked fishing better so sold that and was looking for my next money pit and came across the cutest dang boat I ever saw I could afford lol

So, here I am, 3.5 hours from the coast....thinking “another bay boat with onlt a t-top....or an old Grady with some major tlc needed?”...and I happened upon a Dory.

So, I am in a pickle. With a few upgrades, to accomodate the fact I love to fish...this thing could be just about the most perfect boat I have owned heh.

Here is the problem(s) I face...and I bet you all can help me decide how to handle them.

1 - There is not a lot of room aft. I am used to a CC or walk around. As I never go out alone, how is the room for fishing 2-3 grown people? Any pictures of folks fishing off the back?

Two fishing in the back of a Cruiser is easy, however, three can be a bit tight, depending on what type of fishing you're doing. To get a larger cockpit, look at the CD-22 Angler described, pictured, and with a line drawing here:

http://www.c-brats.com//files/1997_c-dory_factory_brochure.pdf

The hulls, V-berths, and helms on the two models are the same, but the cabin is abbreviated (shorter) on the Angler as shown in the brochure shown above, minimizing the galley and setee (table).

The cockpit, on the other had, goes from 4'6'' to 6'6', and most Anglers weren't made with a solid (fiberglass rear cabin bulkhead, but are often instead equipped with a canvas one. The feeling of open space, especially with the bulkhead entirely open, is significant. NOTE: The Angler is often confused with the pre-1987 Classic, which is an older design more like the Cruiser. Sometimes the owners of a Classic call their boat an Angler mistakenly. A Classic won't gain you much of anything over a Cruiser in usable fishing space. There is also a CD-19, but it has the small cabin of the CD-22 Angler combined with the small cockpit of the CD-22 Cruiser, so no gain there, either.

2 - There appears to be no live well or fish well on these. Honestly, while folks fish with them, they do not appear to be rigged for fishing. Anyone ever added stuff for that? Not a huge issue, but since space is small, curious how you all deal with it.

Yes, I have read about live wells on Cd-22's, but will let someone more directly experienced with one on their own boat discuss it with you.

3 - If I got one, I would want to add a fridge (I liked that aspect heh), a 10-12” fish finder, an a/c (that is so my wife and kids go more often), and I saw some cool solar setups. Where might one add more batteries?

Best bet for AC is to mount a smaller 6000-9000 btu RV type unit like the Coleman Polar Cub on the rear roof top.This puts it up out of the way and conserves valuable interior space for other things. AC units that use sea water for cooling are more complex, take up interior space, have through-hulls that often get clogged up, and are more trouble than they have to be. You can alternately add a home-style portable window unit to your boat, mounting it over the front hatch on the foredeck, but, while this is a very inexpensive solution, it blocks your forward view, and is best suitable for use at rest, such as at anchor, in your slip, or at a guest dock, etc. Most any effective AC unit large enough to really cool your boat in a hot, humid climate requires more power than can be supplied for any length of time by a reasonably sized battery bank. Better to use a Honda 1000 or 2000 watt true sine wave 4-cycle generator, which can be mounted in or over the motor well or on the swim step. The generator also solves the refrigeration use power problem effectively with the addition of a battery or two dedicated to house use at night during quiet time, etc. Bob Austin (Thataway) has photos of a Polar Cub installation on a Tom Cat 255 and a swim step Honda generator mounted on the swim step in his photo album and there's an associated discussion thread on this site. Easy to install both on a 22, as well.

I am looking at two 22’ Cruisers, albeit I like the dual outboard one best.
Oh-OH! Another opening for Harvey! "Prepare for Incoming!"

Thank you for any insight!

Trying to make sure I get a boat that has room to fish off of without being crowded....and I like the fact I can tow it and launch it on a lake too!Smile
Russ

Hope this helps open up the discussion.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
jrb2019

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, thank you so much for the info and help.

I am 52, I have a 9yr old boy and an 11yr old girl. When they were born, I was fishing a lot. I got the ranch for the peace and solitude, but found that, as they got older, it was harder to take them out of school to join me, so...a boat offers me the chance to do that, and they beg me to take them fishing a lot. Since momma only lets me have one "toy" at a time.. lol.. the ranch goes, a boat comes along heh.

I seriously never pictured myself in something like a c-dory, but I am the kind of person that loves old cars and would rather "tootle around" in an original Duesenberg than speed around in a '57 Chevy, so when I saw this.. I was hooked.

That being said, I have to be practical because "Daddy loves to fish" lol.. and I need to be able to be back there with those two to help, and not tie them up all the time.

So, what I am "giving up" is the ability to spread people out fore and aft to fish. Not a big deal because, what "I" see is the ability to bring my wife along, maybe even her parents, and they can sit inside in comfort and enjoy a ride, while the kids fish with me... something they cannot do near as comfortably on a CC.

So, trying to figure the logistics out of no live wells etc.

I was able to google a lot of videos...but it is flat out amazing how few pictures one sees of people on the aft section, to be able to get some sort of size understanding. I see a bagillion videos etc of people driving around.. lol.. nothing of anyone fishing off the back.

Also, my buddy.. I know him... he'll grab his pole and go walk up to the bow and drop a line and sit there if need be....which is fine because he tends to bring 40 rods and cast on top of me.. lol.

So, I see where people stick a small ice chest between the gas tanks and a couple lawn chairs. imo.. lawn chairs would tend to slide around too much, but, I can work ways around that.. pretty handy Wink

Live wells.. not a big deal, I can turn the ice chest into one.. easy. Gotta figure where best to set a large ice chest for fish that will also not eat up the last of the space on that back section.

Also, the 22 Cruiser is just way too nice to go with the angler.. I do not want to give up that space for my wife. Happy wife, Happy life.. lol.. She will let me buy any boat I want and she will go along....just makes me happy thinking of her doing so in comfort.

This boat is .. "an acquired taste".. I get it.. a couple of my fishing buddies already laughed when I showed it to them...but I do not care....I could pay the thing off and get a dang bass boat on the side if I really wanted to...this boat just screams, "fun" in my mind.. so.. going to figure a way to make it work out if I can.

Thanks. Hope to inform you all of joining the family if I can heh.

Russ
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ-

I forgot to mention that I had a live well bait tank in my 1987 Cruiser (sold in 2015). It was built into the port side lazarette locker and was either a factory or dealer installed option. Worked well for small baitfish, but due to the smallish size and non-circular shape, would not have been suitable for ocean baitfish such as anchovies that require a large round tank with continuous circular current and a light source to simulate the sun.

And, hey, wuz I right about that Harvey Guy, huh??? Laughing

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
jrb2019

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:
Russ-

I forgot to mention that I had a live well bait tank in my 1987 Cruiser (sold in 2015). It was built into the port side lazarette locker and was either a factory or dealer installed option. Worked well for small baitfish, but due to the smallish size and non-circular shape, would not have been suitable for ocean baitfish such as anchovies that require a large round tank with continuous circular current and a light source to simulate the sun.

And, hey, wuz I right about that Harvey Guy, huh??? Laughing

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Lol.. sorry, not sure about the Harvey reference, unless you meant the hurricane Razz

The only bait I tend to use that is live is minnows, shrimp, finger mullets, nothing large. I was debating how easy it would be to convert one of the rear compartments into a livewell heh.

R
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The port lazarette on my CD-22 cruiser was set up as a live well when I bought it. It may have been a factory installation. The PO used the boat for fishing. I don't so I converted the live well to conventional storage.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to JRB2019,

My apologies, I (nearly) always sign off with my name, but some how I missed it on the first post, after your OP, in this thread. Sorry, for the confusion. I did post some photos and the first one has my twins featured.

I did put in a small hint (in bold in the quote below) that I am a confirmed twinaholic, and many of the folks here are good about warning the new comers that I might have bit of a "twins" bias.

Quote:
"Well Russ, Welcome, and you jingled my bell, "Like the dual outboard one best". Me too, I love my twins. And I am sitting here laughing because you ask about fishing, and everywhere I go, I get asked about fishing and I don't fish. "But that boat want's to fish" I have heard more times than I can count."

Maybe this time I will get it right. Joe, sorry if my post was incognito.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Russ. We have a good friend who is a professional fishing guide. When he stepped on our boat at home he made a comment, "Where are the fish lockers?" He liked the boat though and did remark that we should take it and go catch some tuna. To get around not having fish lockers, we take along a large Igloo Cooler, put a little water into it along with some ice. As we catch fish we throw them in, close the lid, use it as a seat platform and continue to fish. I feel the deck space for fishing is good for two but may be a little crowded for three though.

Like Harvey remarks, they are great boats for overnight stays and even longer.

C-Dory boats have a very stable platform while fishing in the ocean but will pound more in wind waves when compared to a deep v hull. To trim the nose down a little and slow your speed takes care of that. The fuel economy is a big plus!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: