View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Val

City/Region: White Rock
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Seaduced
Photos: C-Val
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Resting 1981 Classic on seafloor Reply with quote

Hi Everyone

I have a chance to rent a cabin with a dock. The only thing is apparently when the tide goes out the boat will be sitting on a mixture of sand and small rock

I had the idea to float a 2 by 6 under the transom and let it keep the boat up a bit to protect transducer and bottom from from scratching

Is there already a thread on suggestions to rest a C Dory on the sea bottom or do you have thoughts?

What about the post 1987 hulls? Is it the same?

Thanks

David and Val
(Its winter but I am planning my boating summer!)

1988 22' Angler
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Resting 1981 Classic on seafloor Reply with quote

C-Val wrote:
Hi Everyone

I have a chance to rent a cabin with a dock. The only thing is apparently when the tide goes out the boat will be sitting on a mixture of sand and small rock

I had the idea to float a 2 by 6 under the transom and let it keep the boat up a bit to protect transducer and bottom from from scratching

Is there already a thread on suggestions to rest a C Dory on the sea bottom or do you have thoughts?

What about the post 1987 hulls? Is it the same?

Thanks

David and Val
(Its winter but I am planning my boating summer!)

I have used the driftwood / log (too cheap for real lumber) method for years & let it go dry.
Never any problem on 1991 22 & 2003 25.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance of positioning something (and getting a look at the sea bed) before you tie up and let the boat go down on the tide. Maybe set a few 4x4's secured to the bottom, or even some old tires might work.

There is a tire in the lower left quadrant here. Been in the same place for years.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should not be a problem. A piece of lumber would be a great idea--a 2 x 4 would be enough. You could tie it between the two stern cleats--harder to get under the boat than you might think. Easier, and equally as cheap, would be a piece of 3" PVC Pipe. (Schedule 80). Light enough to carry along, it will go under the boat a lot better. You could make a "sock" of Ozite carpet or something like that, so it is padding on the boat bottom.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driftwood, board plank or PVC pipe with carpet cover would all help, but more important is the bottom type & hardness of the sand or other material among the small rocks & just what you consider a small rock. I’ve several times let the boat settle on the bottom with a lowering tide, but very particular on the bottom type it was resting on. Also it’s one thing to do it rarely with a good bottom paint & totally different to do on a daily basis. Before letting the boat settle on the bottom during low tide without already knowing the bottom type, I first do sonar check for level & larger rocks. At the head of bays where there is a large creek or river entrance, making sure you’re not settling onto the edge of a old oxbow river edge or present tidal river bank is a must. Then get a scoop of the bottom in the anchor to check the type. I prefer a semi soft mud & clamshell mix, which to me is the same mix that’s makes for very good anchor holding. I want no rocks bigger than about a inch across & the material around them soft enough they sink into it, instead of pressuring into the hull. If any doubt at all, I make sure to be awake & check when the boat is still floating & can be moved. There have been times, I’ve got out with hip boots & found rocks to big & a bottom to hard under them, so moved the boat out to deeper water & anchored instead of settling onto the bottom. Of course motors & trip tabs up & a transducer that doesn’t protrude below the hull. This is SE Alaska where sandy bottoms are very rare.

KevinDU

City/Region: Terrace
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Sea Otter
Photos: Sea Otter
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Harbour, Porcher Island, BC
busski

City/Region: Crane Island
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
Vessel Name: Lucky linda
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The c-dory classics often had wood runners on the bottom of the boat that glued and screwed in. These are a definite vulnerability if your boat takes even a minor chop when at a low tide. On my former classic, we ended up removing, epoxying, and refairing the hull bottom at a cost of over $2500 given what was occurring at a dock that would go dry at a minus tide. It wasn’t the period when it was on the hard that was the issue. It was the low tides where any swell or wake would lead to pounding of the hull on a pebbled seafloor.
C-Val

City/Region: White Rock
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Seaduced
Photos: C-Val
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your very good suggestions! I love the pics!

I have a fishing trip in that area planned before we rent the cabin so I will time it to go at low tide and get a visual of the sea bottom. Then I will know exactly what I am up against before I go

I like the tires idea but would be harder to carry with me. I am going to seriously consider the pvc pipe as I could strap that to the roof very easily.

Thanks for the reminder of the wood strakes on the bottom! Don't want to damage those!

As always, no-one knows better than ones who have gone before me.
Thank you!

David and Val
CaptMac

City/Region: Amelia Island / Jacksonville
State or Province: FL
Photos: Blue Manatee
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:26 am    Post subject: Beaching a CDory Reply with quote

The C-Dory is reknown as a beachable boat with its flat hull and bottom paint molded into the gel coat.

I've since sold the boat but heres a couple of beached pic of mine when I had it:

http://www.floundergigging.com
Flounder Gigging Charters
"The Adventure of a Night-time"
904-556-0230 Cell/Text
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: