View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmetzenberg

City/Region: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: What material would you use? Reply with quote

I've bought some pullout cabinet organizers to mount underneath the stove and galley sink. I need material to elevate them 7" off the deck and mount them to. Essentially; I need something that's like a synthetic 2x8. I was at home depot this morning but didn't really find anything that wasn't organic. I was thinking about settling for some redwood but I rather have something that is zero maintenance. Any ideas?

07' Tomcat 255 "Kanaloa"
87' Boston Whaler Guardian 17 (BlackFlag, 03-14)
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azek makes a white PVC trim board that is 1.25 thick but only 3.5" wide. They also make a plastic decking material like Trex. All of the decking products are heavy and just barely float.

I don't know why you need it so thick, but both width and thickness can be doubled easy enough with the Azek PVC lumber. Azek has its own proprietary glue, which looks just like the regular clear PVC glue, but I've always paid the extra $1 for a can. As with PVC pipe, it melts the two pieces together. No screws necessary unless you want them to hold during curing instead of clamps. Sometimes Azek lumber gets a bow if stacked upright in the lumber yard. That can complicate glueing. My local Lowes has a fairly good selection.

I have a few pictures of Azek projects in my photo album under Modifications: Cabinetry.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used both Starboard, and the PVC lumber that Mark refers to. The Starboard was left over from other projects. I find it is cheaper to buy in larger pieces--only disadvantage is that it must be screwed together. (Although Have had good luck with dovetail cuts, flame hardening the surface and G Flex epoxy.)

I also line all of the cabinets with material like Dri Deck--where I needed flexible material--and "Duragrid" for flat areas, which is not flexible, but half the price.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
cmetzenberg

City/Region: Santa Barbara
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azek is hard to come by at my home depot for some reason. I'm going to have to special order it.
Gene Morris

City/Region: Eureka CA
Vessel Name: Reef Madness
Photos: Reefmadness
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a slide in reefmadness. I only had to raise the slide 4 inches. I had some left over pressure treated 4 x 4 posts. I painted with a sealer and they have been fine for two years so far.
Gene

rbfconstruction

City/Region: huntington beach
Photos: Angler Management
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject: what material would you use Reply with quote

I would go to smart and final and buy a cutting board. You can cut the strips needed to size and use ss brackets/screws. It will be very inexpensive.
Richard
Knipet

City/Region: Orcas Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Pan-A-C'ya
Photos: Pan-A-C'ya
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conrad,
By chance are you trying to install the pull out cabinet organizers that are currently available from Costco? Is so, I'd be really interested in following your install. I bought a couple of them for our 22 on the hope that they might work, despite not being able to get back up to my boat for another month.

https://www.amazon.com/Richelieu-Pull-Cabinet-Organizer-Chrome/dp/B077F4D49H/ref=asc_df_B077F4D49H/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242035717113&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14413225300611401447&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030008&hvtargid=pla-409662042208&psc=1
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought of another way to go last night, if is just spacers off the floor, with a platform. Use Schedule 80 PVC pipe. My 25 has pieces of PVC pipe epoxied to the hull in several places to raise or hold items. Drill several holes, so you get some "button" effect of the epoxy. Rough up the interior glass surface. I use hot glue to hold items in place until the epoxy dries.
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:16 pm    Post subject: Come on over... Reply with quote

Conrad.... I live in Camarillo...I have some scraps of some of that wood from a C-Dory that was wrecked out... You can also see how I modified my boat...did lots of modifying of the cabinets..

Joel Rapose
SEA3PO
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:22 pm    Post subject: Go Richard ! Reply with quote

Richard (rbfconstruction ) You made me laugh.....I did just that...I wanted something to mount two main switches next to the helm..(inside) and I wanted red plastic...I found a neat red cutting board and it worked perfect for raw material...
rbfconstruction

City/Region: huntington beach
Photos: Angler Management
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: what material Reply with quote

Joel, I actually made a bait board that I clip into a bracket on the gunnel out of one. I figure if its good enough to cut on...
I hope to figure out the "how to post pics on here" part. I can build a house but some reason the computer is ROCKET SCIENCE to me.
Smart and final ... $ 6.35
West marine ... $ 40.00. HMMMMMMMMM

Richard
also, I like your boat!
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conrad, if you have a Tap Plastics (or other plastics biz) nearby, check with them. They often have scraps leftover from bigger jobs.

Steve

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: