The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cdory RV AC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Cdory RV AC Reply with quote

What model are you guys using We have a 23 venture CC We are looking at Dometic penquin and Dometic Brisk11 What problems will we face? The venture roof is strong enough to support 100lb Ac unit I was thinking of using the gasket for the 14by14 hole that must be cut ,then using starboard to stabilize the bottom metal frame .on the sides .We have shore power already installed with a 20 amp service for the AC .Anyway your thoughts and pictures please . What hard start do we need to run a 2000watt genset ? Thanks Jim
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Arctic Kings are up to $129 now...Marie would like me to put one of the RV on the 25...we are waiting still...maybe see how it would work with the dinghy. We used the Coleman Mach 8 Cub 47201B876 RV Rooftop Air Conditioner, 9,200 BTUs, The Penguin II is 13,500 and the Dometic is 11,000. We are seriously using the Arctic King 5,000 BTU in the window. It has a semi custom set up so easy for both of use to put it in place. (easier with 2, but even with bad backs one of us can put it up--since it has a carrier sack it lives in. I thought that the 9200 was enough for the Tom Cat-but 11,000 gives more power--I would definitely use the EasyStart! That is about $300. The Dometic Smart Start III is close to $500--I saw the Smart Start II for $200 on E-bay. The capacitor is from $10 to $20, but not adequate.

I'll throw up a few photos of the way I did the Tom Cat. My issue, is that the AC have steel flat areas--and we have a crowned roof. If you sandwich the glass--and I don't know if your boat is cored in the center. My first 25 was not--this one is. That makes a difference.

Stepped router cuts for the inside curve.

Glued up with epoxy

Cutout and laminate

Laid up layers of 2" a 6oz tape in epoxy. Filled and faired. No flex.

Finished hole ready for AC

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject: AC Reply with quote

Thanks Dr. Bob .yes we have the Walmart 5000 btu it works fine .I just wanted to have AC without putting it in the window .Yes the cc23Venture has a crowned roof line so I would have to build up the sides ? I thought maybe starboard could be used ? I think the 25 has less of a crown then a cd23 venture ? It is good to know that you can get a 9200 BTU AC that would probably work with a 2200 watt genset ?? with a hard start installed . We are still in pre production stage ? More measurement's to do .Jim
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

On my 22, I tried a small ac unit in the front center window for a few trips. With almost loosing it overboard and dropping the GFI cord assembly in the water, while installing the ac (it was 98 degrees, high humidity and no wind) my wife convinced me to go to a rooftop unit. I would never turn back and wish my new 26 had a rooftop, vice built in ac...

The rooftop that I went with was the Coleman MACH 8, 9000 BTU unit. I also installed the heat strip and that is plug and play. The overhead of the 22 is solid glass and support nor trim was required to mount it. The unit came with a very thick piece of foam to mount the top of the ac on and I was able to cut the foam to the shape/contour of the overhead.

I chose the 9000 BTU over large units, or heat pumps, because I wanted to be able to power it, when not at a dock, with a small portable generator. On the hottest of days, we have found that the unit cooled the cabin down quickly and that the load on the ac was very light. Also, we have used the heater when temps outside near freezing and had to wake up the first few time that we used it to turn the thermostat way down, because we got too warm.

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: AC Reply with quote

jennykatz wrote:
Thanks Dr. Bob .yes we have the Walmart 5000 btu it works fine .I just wanted to have AC without putting it in the window .Yes the cc23Venture has a crowned roof line so I would have to build up the sides ? I thought maybe starboard could be used ? I think the 25 has less of a crown then a cd23 venture ? It is good to know that you can get a 9200 BTU AC that would probably work with a 2200 watt genset ?? with a hard start installed . We are still in pre production stage ? More measurement's to do .Jim

I LOVE mine. Hook up shore power and I have instant a/c or heat. Keeps it cold even on the hottest summer days. Simple. Simple.

2017 25 Cruiser 200 Yamaha (2017-present)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It is good to know that you can get a 9200 BTU AC that would probably work with a 2200 watt genset ?? with a hard start installed

Just to be clear--the 9200 BTU AC will start and run with the Honda 2000. The larger units usually require the Easy Start--far better than the cheap capacitor.

My comments about the Arctic King were tongue I cheek. It works--but not as well as others. It lowers the C Dory 25 temp about 20* below ambient. So from 100* it goes to 80*. We place it in place from the inside, have cut in half pool noodles to pad the lip of the "dash". Short cord, with plug right next to it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: